Looking To Start A Label With All Of You

Posts 1 - 25 of 55
  1. 1107806
    15ludwicke : Sat 1st Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

Hey Looperman Community,
    I am looking to start a electronic music label and I want this community to be part of it because of how much you have helped me develop as an artist.

The label will be a mixture of electronic genres (dubstep, electro, edm, house, progressive house, DnB, chill out etc.)

Since this is going to be a community wide label I want people to add their own touches to it, which means I would really love for one person to make a label youtube page and work solely on that to make it the highest quality possible. Also, it would be nice to have someone make a label website and maintain that. I could maintain the label's soundcloud page and other social networking sites. Furthermore, I would need someone with a good "producer's ear" to help me sort through demos, and someone to make a professional looking logo for the label As you can probably tell, I need a lot of people to help, meaning that there are lots of opportunities for YOU to make a difference!

There is a goldmine of untapped and overflowing potential on this website and I know that this can turn into an amazing label that could rival the Goliaths of the edm world one day, but I need your help! If you can contribute anything to the label, reply here on the forum or direct message me personally. I'm on the website every day so expect a swift reply.

Thank you all so much on this website for being a giant inspiration to me! Lets get the ball rolling on this!

2. 1205128
    LivingInSilence : Sun 2nd Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

So I could pretty much do any of what you just said.

I could make a website/maintain it, I could (reluctantly) make a YouTube channel, could sort through demos, design a logo (I'm an artist, but if you've seen modern "art" lately you'd know that saying that doesn't mean much), and of course consume the pastries.

Is it just you so far or do you already have more people in on this (if so could you give us an update every now-and-then to let us know where this is at?). Also do you have a name in mind for the label?

3. 1107806
    15ludwicke : Sun 2nd Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

@LivingInSilence Hey man, this is great! Yeah it's just me right now, but all of the stuff you can do sounds great. The only thing is that I was looking more towards a promotion label, just so that all of the electronic music producers on Looperman have a formal platform to present their work to a large audience who might not have heard it otherwise. (The masses aren't going to stumble across Looperman unless they are producers or artists) But, if you want to release stuff on iTunes, Beatport, ect., I'm all for that but I have no clue how to set any of that up or how to split the earnings. And I'm thinking about the name being Fringed Records, but not 100% sure if that is going to be the final name.

Thanks again for the interest!
    Rico L.

4. 337508
    subSpace : Sun 2nd Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

take a ticket and get in line there are many other people with the same idea it takes a hell lot to start up a label and now they are 10 a pennie. in the world there is severe competition and getting the rep these days to sustain a record label is not that easy i could do what you wanna do in a day i could have everything setup but thats all for nothing cos you need to get the listeners and the rep in order to truly get somewhere with a label is if you have money to kick start it fact and the fact that you see a potential goldmine of artists mean you are looking to maybe make money on this. i personaly cant see this taking off but good luck with it none the same ok

5. 926654
    MacJaiyod : Sun 2nd Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

Hey, I can totally help too. I can design the logo and the stuff that the label needed in order to start it off. I can help maintain a Youtube channel as well as other networks. I know how to make a website too but my pocket is running low.

If there's any more information on this that I need to know, please contact me (). Thanks.

6. 1107806

@subSpace Really digging the negativity here. I just wanted to start I label for the community here and promote their works on youtube and sound cloud (MEANING I DONT MAKE MONEY). I'm not really looking to become the next Hardwell with his Revealed Records. Again, I just wanted to give a platform to the people on this website that deserve it because of their talent. I understand that starting a label takes a lot of work, that's why I am asking for help on this. Dreams don't become reality if you sit there and wallow in self pity telling yourself that since everyone is doing it you don't have a shot. I apologize if I came off as rude in this post, it is just that I am very passionate about getting this started up.

7. 1107806

@MacJaiyod Ok that sounds good, how about you start up the Youtube Channel since LivingInSilence is not as comfortable in that field. Here is my contact info () and me you and LivingInSilence can work through this and sort out who is going to do what. Really excited to get this started!

8. 316780
    Apieceoftofu : Sun 2nd Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

It would be awesome to get a Looperman label going. Your right, there is a lot of untapped talent here. I would be willing to sort through demo's if you start getting people sending them in. I would need some clear guidelines to judge demo's by though, especially in regards to genre. Im familiar with tons of electronic genres and have tried to produce almost as many (with varying degrees of success) so I know what to listen for, generally speaking.

Anyways, if you get this up and running and need someone to listen to demo's, hit me up at ().

9. 1
    Looperman : Sun 2nd Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

to be clear, and without wanting to come down on your idea..

These things come up from time to time and i wish you good luck with your venture but please dont use the looperman name or make any claims as to being associated with looperman.com

10. 1107806

@Looperman Yeah I didn't want to run into any trouble there, we won't be associated with your website at all. (Except for most of our artists that would be promoted would be from this site) but there will be no use of Looperman's name anywhere.

On another note, I love your website! Even though I've only been a member for a short time, it has really let me grow and flourish as an artist and I can't thank you enough!

Rico L.

11. 994534
    Neomorpheus : Sun 2nd Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

Hehehe !!!

Geeze you really know how to burst a young entrepreneur's bubble there Looperman !

12. 365820
    WongKiShoo : Sun 2nd Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

Some ideas that might help you along the way:

Essentially, a record label is run as a business. There are things you need to consider if you really want to start up a label... some of which are listed below.

If you want this label of yours to take off, you're going to have to be ruthless with quality control. If as a label you promote shit, you won't have much of a following..

You're going to need skilled engineers with really good ears and gear to get the tracks that make the cut to a releasable standard. Again, you should be focusing on quality..

As a serious label that can take on any Goliath (in your words) - you would need to register the label as a business and open bank accounts etc and also keep the accounts up to date - then you gotta pay taxes etc.

Contracts: There are generic contracts out there for parties to sign. I would highly recommend that everyone who gets chosen for release be made to sign a contract - for example - if the label started making money from someone's music, it's only right that the artist makes money too. And if the label works tirelessly to promote someone's work to the point that it got picked up by a bigger label, again it is only fair that the label makes a bit of cash. Contracts just protect everyone..

When it comes to promo. Who's gonna pay for the adverts that are necessary? I daresay promo isn't cheap.. Maybe crowd funding might be a good approach? If the label's budget is tight, it might be a good idea to just plow the promo budget into promoting the very best song you have to generate more income in the first instance.

Of course, if you don't wanna do any of that, then it's not really a label at all.. more like just a collective of musicians trying to get noticed like millions of other musicians, in which case there isn't much point in doing any of it :)

13. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sun 2nd Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

I'm with Wonki on this one (though I'm not as genial as he)..and I don't really want to rain on your parade,but lets face it,your a kid with a laptop right,who has his head in the clouds and sees Looperman as a cattle yard of untapped talent who would just love to be organised under someone they don't know (who by the way hasn't even posted a single track on this site)and propel that someone (and hopefully them) to stardom(whatever).....back in the day people used to get together and form groups in real time face to face and it worked,these days people think they can send an email and hit the jackpot...get rational kid,find some musicians ,producers whatever in your local area.....make friends with them,practice like hell and who knows what will happen....shoutouts over the internet don't work and just come across as spamming.

14. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sun 2nd Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

Well you have posted a few tracks!! lol maybe you'll make it (whatever that means)

15. 1107806

@WongKiShoo Hey thanks for the advice! I actually have some contracts already based on and molded from contracts that I signed when getting signed by labels.I am researching all the other stuff currently, thanks for the support!

16. 1107806

@Planetjazzbass I think that you and everyone is getting the wrong idea from my first post so let me clarify: I AM NOT TRYING TO MAKE MONEY AND SCAM PEOPLE. This is solely just something that I want to start on my own for fun, because of course labels like mau5trap and dim mak were started as hobbies.

17. 1100958
    cosmicinfluence : Sun 2nd Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

i am down with planetjazz on this one.Although i wish you all the luck in the world and i hope you do make it work.
    I understand yhat you are not trying to make money but unless you treat it like a business and plough alot of money into it then i dont see how you provide anything that looperman doesnt. Its a forum for us to be heard yes?? Hello you are looking at it.
    I am sorry to give negative feedback but i feel i can only give my honest opinion.
    However.. you crack on my friend and prove everyone wrong.

18. 1107806

@cosmicinfluence yes but I am looking to work on websites like youtube, sound cloud, and making another website. This is not affiliated with Looperman, I just know that there is talent on this site that could take the label somewhere. I've been listening to edm and electronic music for 12 years now (since I was two), so I'm pretty sure I can tell whether or not an artist's song is good and whether the production is shitty or not. As for the business side of things, I was accepted to Princeton's school of Business on a full ride just a few weeks ago, so I am no scrub in that regard either.The label can make money, the thing I am trying to clarify is that I won't be the on that pockets it.

A note to everyone: Please if you are coming here only to criticize the idea of starting the label, please do yourself a favor and save the calories of typing out that post. I know that it is difficult to begin one of these labels, and I know how improbable it is that a 17 year old can start a business of any type. Now if you would like to give good, wholesome constructive criticism like my man WongKiShoo, that would be very much appreciated. As of now we have everyone we need to make this label happen. Thanks so much for the support those people have shown me on this venture.

19. 1107806

Last post typo correction I've been listening to edm and electronic music for 12 years now (since I was FIVE), so I'm pretty sure I can tell whether or not an artist's song is good and whether the production is shitty or not.

20. 1205128
    LivingInSilence : Sun 2nd Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

The way I see it, Looperman deffinitely isn't a forum to be 'heard'. I mean what's the point in trying to get your music heard by people who are also trying to be heard? (we're pretty much all musicians here, so that's just silly). This is more of a place for feedback and to help others make music either through direct collabs or loops/acapella.

I think some of you are looking at this the wrong way. Even if this 'label' doesn't become the next Mau5trap or whatever (and i'm deffinitely not expecting it will) than it will at least provide some ground for less-serious artists who just want to be 'heard' weather or not money is involved. Even if it's not that successful I can guarantee it'll be a more effective form of promotion than simply just uploading your tracks to soundcloud or youtube and wishing for the best.

We're in a time where, thanks to technology, literally any one can start producing music (even if they have little knowledge about it) so no matter how good you are it's very easy to get drowned out in all the crap that kids are throwing up online these days. What this label will do is hopefully pick out some of the better musicians and put them all in one place in a slightly more professional environment. Is that really such a terrible thing?

The worst case senario is that it ends up being a small niche corner of the internet. But last time I checked, social networks are free to use/promote stuff on, websites are cheap to run (I already run several non-music sites), and people like music. Honestly what have we got to lose?
    It's cool if 15ludwicke wants to dream big and hope this'll one day actually become a big serious thing but for now why not just put a little time into this and see where it goes?
    God forbid this might even be fun.

21. 347760
    PortraitOfABlackHole : Mon 3rd Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

The thing is, you have no one to promote to, other than the artists who send there tracks to you, in hopes of promotion. You have no special connections, no big corp behind you, and no money to throw at this venture. Go look at google and you'll find thousands of these little Basement Labels. Nobody looks at them. Nobody. The days of 'build it and they will come' are long over. Think about it. Youll biuld the website, launch it, plaster it full of content and blog posts; and it will collect dust. A website is only as usefull as the bandwidth its consuming. Bandwidth costs money, lots of it; and i dont mean that plan your ISP offers you either. How in the hell are you going to tell people about your venture? Posts here dont count, because we are the potential producer. You need to work out how you will snag the consumer side of the market, unless you can funnel consumers to your site, it's pointless. This is what costs so much money. You need to pump thousands of dollars into marketing (real marketing, not blog posts) to even become remotely relevant. The term 'record label' means nothing, it's the consumer potential behind it (aka money) that matters.

Im not saying dont do it, but REALLY consider what you are doing, not simply becuase the thought makes you all fuzzy inside, but weather or not it makes sense. If all you want is the get together with other musicians and promote yourselves around, your already in the right place, chat here, share links to your friends on FB, share tracks on soundcloud.

If you do really want to make something more professional, please, please realize you NEED to be prepared to put MONEY behind it. This is the indregient everyone seems to forget, becuase they simply don't have it. Yes, mau5trap started as a hobby, wanna know why it's successful? Look at the money behind it.

22. 1205128
    LivingInSilence : Mon 3rd Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

You may have missed the part where I said "I run 2 non-music websites", I'm not sure how much you think websites cost to run but it's deffinitely less than whatever you have in mind. If the site ever got big enough that it would start getting costly to keep running than it clearly means we've got enough viewers and artists to make money off anyway.

And this comes to my next point. You seem to insist that without vast quantities of MONEY that this is going to go nowhere, and I agree, but you say that as if we're a bunch of hobos with laptops. Don't act like you know how much MONEY we (or at least I) have to throw at stuff like this, and how apathetic we/I are/am when it comes to the throwing of said MONEY.

What i'm saying is if you don't want to help then that's fine, but there's really no need to be so negative. In this forum the negative comments greatly outway actual reasonable advice, and that's not helpful for anyone.

23. 1231236
    joecramer : Mon 3rd Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

Ok.
    Idea sounds not to bad (to me).
    Mostly all things to begin this "project" are (mostly) free to get.
    There are places like -lima-city.de- who gives you endless space for a webside WITHOUT any comercials on it.
    Places like -youtube.com- for recorded shows/videos ....
    Places like -ustream.com- for LIVE shows, up to 24/7 .....
    And and and ........
    Almost all you can get for free and you can do realy cool things.

BUT

You need time! Time time time and time. And then some time. You will not do anything else then doing something for YOUR project. You need to listen to new things all the day. You must make any kind of promo for all the things you do all the day. And that sure every day. You must make shows/blogs/things to stay in touch with all your "fans" and and and ....

And thats the biggest problem. Most peoples must work to stay alive and to do some funy things like - looperman comunitiy - making some music - have fun with real friends - do some homework - bring childs into bed - and and and
    And this project will not bring money at the start ( it cant and you sayed you dont want to). So you cant pay anyone or at least yourself.

Maybe you should first be real sure that you have a real real real good idea to get followers. Cause you need people who believes that YOU know it right.

I dont wanna be negativ but the most projects die after 6 month. Not cause they have any money problems, cause the projectmembers have not the time and the real will.

So its important to have a group of people around that realy wanna DO something
    Then start getting bigger and bigger and then show all this negativ peoples and all this gigants, that YOU rule :)

But this lable thing should be tha last point on your list. Or one of the last :)

joe

24. 1205128
    LivingInSilence : Mon 3rd Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

Pretty much everything is free/cheap to start off with which is good, but yes time is another huge factor. There's already a resonable amount of people working on this though and Rico a.k.a. 15ludwicke (who is essentially the manager) is pretty damn determined to get this rolling. I myself have finished my studies for the year so have A LOT of spare time to work on this (which is great because getting it up and running is the most time consuming part).

25. 1184115
    DJSoundKiller : Mon 3rd Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

this is a great idea but... i don't think that a record label can come up from night to day, it takes lots of time. Second you should consider interviewing these people that will work with you since there are lots of bad people out there and may want to do harm or do bad

I'm just telling you the possibilities, don't let this reply stop u, if not use it as help to be stronger in the music industry

Posts 1 - 25 of 55

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.