What Is The Best Microphone For Vocal Use

Posts 1 - 12 of 12
  1. 1243551
    Oceanically : Thu 18th Sep 2014 : 5 years ago

Hello,
    I am thinking of buying a new microphone. Right now I am using a Samson Meteor mic.

What kind of condenser microphone will help me minimize background noise, but still is of quality, adds warmth and is good for vocals? (and is USB powered, optional)

I was thinking of a Blue Yeti, but heard it picks up every single noise as well. So I am steering away from this. (Unless someone has advice to minimize it?)

Any recommendation of a PC compatible mic is fine ^_^

Thank you.

2. 1243551
    Oceanically : Thu 18th Sep 2014 : 5 years ago

**I was thinking of a Blue Yeti, but heard it picked up lots of background noise.

3. 1123710
    ManFromBrazzaville : Thu 18th Sep 2014 : 5 years ago

i'm not a very experienced musician - mainly do spoken vocals with recorded music as back .. however, I can say that the ZOOM H4N mic that i bought 2 years ago has held up for me very well, no technical problems at all . it does pick up lots of background noise, sometimes I need to go to a very quiet secluded room

4. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 19th Sep 2014 : 5 years ago

I think USB condensers are pretty well known for noise issues. If I didn't read that you were looking for a "PC compatible" mic, I would recommend getting a slightly better (even used or vintage) mic and getting an audio interface with some sort of mic preamp, or a separate pre amp. Obviously not what you want though. Alternately you can cover yourself and the mic with a blanket or something to reduce background noise. Sometimes even a bit of thin fabric over the mic itself will help with noise and siblance.

5. 951439
    Evisma : Fri 19th Sep 2014 : 5 years ago

Your computer monitor, light bulbs, ceiling fans, central heat/air are big contributors.

I had an awful recording with a mic, and realized I had gotten used to the sound of my dehumidifier. Shut it off and all was good.

Computer monitors are really bad with passive pickups on a guitar. I've had to shut off the monitor before recording a take, and use keyboard shortcut commands instead of the mouse for the transport controls.

6. 498019
    Tumbleweed : Fri 19th Sep 2014 : 5 years ago

Oceanically...much as you may not like the answer...Spiv is right...you wont beat having an interface (most all..even the cheapest, have mic preamps etc & you can plug in any condenser youi want & expect to avoid the latency etc)....If you still want to go with a usb mic...a cardoid or hyper cardoid one will give you a more directional pickup pattern & reject noise from the back better (point it away from your pc etc) you can buy ort make a shield for the back of it to help with rear noise, reflections etc.....in terms of bang for the buck, I really like Rode mics (made in Australia)....they recently came out with a usb version of their NT1A ( a little more money than the regular NT1A)...I would check it out...I use a NT1A for a lot of things as it is quite transpatent, has low noise characteristics & the right patern.....But...strange as it may seem I have had a lot of vocalists pick my cheap old MXL model 990 (Lord knows why)...I got it free years ago with a Yamaha product purchase...they are Chinese made (and that often means they have a brittle high end bump)...but for some reason this model doesn`t overdo that characteristic and sounds a bit brighter that other cheap mics I have heard....anyway...you dont have to spend a whole bunch & there aren`t many mics that suit every voice etc......I would really and seriously suggest that you hold off until you can invest In an interface...whatever you plug into it is likely to sound way better than a usb mic...even the lower cost stuff.... (an your little Samson mic actually gets decent reviews)...good luck...and remember...its an investment that you are likely to use for many years....cheaper than a lot of other toys we would like to have too.......Ed

7. 1243551
    Oceanically : Fri 19th Sep 2014 : 5 years ago

Thank you every one for all the helpful advice and suggestions! I will take it on board and consider all answers given.

^_^

8. 612029
    Unknown User : Fri 19th Sep 2014 : 5 years ago

To be honest if you can sing then there's a massive amount of budget microphones on the market that will sound good. Such as the X1 from SE that is just incredible for the money... If you have a great voice then it will sound good on most microphones.. If your not that good then spend any amount of money on the greatest microphone under the sun and it will capture perfectly an average performance.. Sorry to be so direct but its true, i've heard the X1 blow many current artists out of the water with a great voice. Hope this helps

9. 1243551
    Oceanically : Fri 19th Sep 2014 : 5 years ago

@MAVstudio Thank you for the advice.

10. 589130
    PeteTebar : Sat 20th Sep 2014 : 5 years ago

Hey Mav, I've been looking to pick up a new mic, and I think I'm convinced with the SEx1. From what I've read, it suits my needs. Thank you for your advice.

PJT

11. 951439
    Evisma : Sat 20th Sep 2014 : 5 years ago

AEA A440

Everything else is inferior.

Hope you brought your checkbook.

12. 134239
    Devodale : Sat 20th Sep 2014 : 5 years ago

HI, I figure I'd chime in on this with what little experience I've had in this area.
    I've tried 3 different USB mics and they were all crap.
    My best setup I've found on a budget is an MXL67V that I run thru a USB Direct box, though I opt to run the mic thru my Novation X-Station better. I got the mic off CL for $50. (superdeal) and bought the DI/USB box mew for $65. Also, got my X-Station off CL for $175.
    I have spoken loops in my profile using this setup with the X-Station if you want to hear. Look for my 'Word Construction Kit' in my loop section. Just me saying the Alphabet and numbers. I admit I didn't EQ them well, but you get the gist of the quality sound.

Posts 1 - 12 of 12

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads