Question For External Music Card Low Cost And Excellent Quality

Posts 1 - 5 of 5
  1. 1104081
    Christk : Mon 1st Sep 2014 : 5 years ago

Question for external music card low cost and excellent quality.
    Is possible?

Good morning my friends. I would like your opinion on external sound cards and I would like your experience on.
    Thank you.

2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Mon 1st Sep 2014 : 5 years ago

Hello Christk,

For the last year or so, I've been using The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with no complaints whatsoever. Here is the page which describes the interface:

http://global.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2

Not sure what your idea of low cost is, but at sweetwater it is only $149 right now.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i2

The output sounds nice to me, and it has front panel controls for both monitor level and headphone level, with direct monitoring capability. I've recorded vocals, synthesizers (digital and analog), circuit bent toys, guitars, vintage organs, and acoustic piano to name a few with this box. Once you get used to the input setup and metering, it's easy to get a quality recording of pretty much anything.

Also it provides phantom power, which is nice to have. I don't use any microphones which use phantom power, but I did pick up a direct box that uses it. In combination with the direct box, this gives me a lot of routing options to shape my recording, most simply to plug a guitar in the input which I wire to input 1, and send the through signal to an amp, then mic the amp and and send that to input two. This way, I can record a raw direct signal, and at the same time record the amplifier signal on another channel. Gives nice options when mixing the track.

Another way I've been using this is when sampling my bent or electronic gear. For example, I like to control my modular synth with other gear, such as a drum machine. With the direct box and the 2i2, I can send the drum machine direct to input 1, and use the through to send the drum signal to my modular. Then I can take the output of the modular to input 2. Can record the raw direct drum beats, while on another channel record the drum modulated synth simultaneously. Keep in mind, that if you are recording to two separate audio clips/channels, it can be beneficial to convert the audio to mono if your DAW records stereo by default. Will save your processing power and hard drive space.

Also this interface is nice because I can use my new stereo condenser mic with good quality results. Makes it easy to adjust the stereo field on the way in, as it has gain knobs for both inputs.

Thinking about it, this sounded like an advertisement, but I just wanted to help. Choice of audio interface really depends on what you intend to do with it.

3. 1104081
    Christk : Mon 1st Sep 2014 : 5 years ago

Dear my friend good afternoon!
    This is indeed a very good suggestion and really low cost!

1.Also it provides phantom power, which is nice to have

2.Another way I've been using this is when sampling my bent or electronic gear. For example, I like to control my modular synth with other gear, such as a drum machine. With the direct box and the 2i2, I can send the drum machine direct to input 1, and use the through to send the drum signal to my modular. Then I can take the output of the modular to input 2. Can record the raw direct drum beats, while on another channel record the drum modulated synth simultaneously. Keep in mind, that if you are recording to two separate audio clips/channels, it can be beneficial to convert the audio to mono if your DAW records stereo by default. Will save your processing power and hard drive space.

fantastic this ease and am very interested.
    I think that is what I was looking for.

Thank you very much my friend.
    With appreciation
    Chris

4. 186161
    Spivkurl : Mon 1st Sep 2014 : 5 years ago

Cool, happy that it helps!

I got the "Art" brand direct box used in good condition very cheap, like $20 or so. While it isn't necessary for getting a good mono or stereo recording with the 2i2 interface, it seemed like it would be very useful for some of my more involved recording efforts, and it has been.

Also, with the 2i2, most recordings that I have done have been pretty low noise. Obviously it depends on what you are recording, and the normal precautions should be followed. But this box allows you to easily adjust the gain on the input to an ideal level to avoid noise and clipping.

Interested to know who else has recommendations. Also looking forward to hearing what you do with a new interface!

5. 605220
    Ensam : Mon 1st Sep 2014 : 5 years ago

I'm with Spivkurl, Focusrite all the way. Rock solid and good quality at the right price...

Simon

Posts 1 - 5 of 5

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.