Mixing And Mastering Competition

Posts 76 - 100 of 127
  1. 891668
    zombieme : Tue 23rd Sep 2014 : 3 years ago I love the track so here's my effort. It was tricky to work with but I enjoyed working on it. Enjoy! Z

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/160329
  2. 500098
    ShortBusMusic : Tue 23rd Sep 2014 : 3 years ago Zombieme, another solid effort. Thanks for entering.

Only 10 more days to enter and/or make changes to your entry if you aren't completely happy with it.
  3. 1231236
    joecramer : Tue 23rd Sep 2014 : 3 years ago Ho, let me first say that it is very cool to have some more shirts in the race. Thanks a lot for them mr. looperman.

But i am still going for the SBM shirt :)

And for getting it, i made this real final minimal master:
    https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/160344
  4. 1231236
    joecramer : Tue 23rd Sep 2014 : 3 years ago Would it be ok for you Bear if i do some vocals to this stuff? I mean just for doing not for this comp

stay tuned
    joe
  5. 500098
    ShortBusMusic : Wed 24th Sep 2014 : 3 years ago Joe another solid effort. You certainly can add vocals if you would like. As a matter of fact, people are free to remix this track if they want....chop it up, switch things up, add vox, etc. The remixes can't be entered in the competition, but I have no problem with people remixing the track.

Bear
  6. 500098
    ShortBusMusic : Fri 26th Sep 2014 : 3 years ago Another entry into the contest from EPYKmuzik. Here is the link to his track:

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/160405
  7. 592478
    DesignedImpression : Fri 26th Sep 2014 : 3 years ago Man, there's a lot of good ideas coming from this, still got some other entries to checkout and find some more good ideas. Keep up the cool sounds people.

I've been working more on my entry to this challenge and had a question concerning the intro, is using the flute at the end a lil bit in the beginning ok? The track is true to its original state except for a piece of the flute at the end mixed in the beginning. If I need to fix this let me know bear.

You can hear what I mean here https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/159816

Thanks again, keep those MnMs on the table!
  8. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 26th Sep 2014 : 3 years ago I prefer skittles... heh
  9. 500098
    ShortBusMusic : Fri 26th Sep 2014 : 3 years ago While I like the flute at the beginning, I think we have to stick to the spirit of the rules, and that says we have to use the stems as is. However, it doesn't mean that you can't do a remix outside the comp and make the song a whole lot better than it is. Sorry, I know you put a bunch of work into moving the flute around, but to be fair I think you probably have to take it out. Other than that though, I like your latest version (I like the flute at front too, haha, just not for this comp).
  10. 1326261
    DaveDaG : Sat 27th Sep 2014 : 3 years ago Hi all, here's my submission for the contest
    Great track to work on
    Thanks to ShortBusMusic

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/160444

DaveDaG
  11. 1231236
    joecramer : Sun 28th Sep 2014 : 3 years ago Hey Bear
    I used two of your samples for a quick zombiesong for phatkatz4. Saw his forumposting here:
    https://www.looperman.com/forum/thread/182429/looperman-zombie-apocalypse
    and made this little funny track for him:

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/160468

hope you can enjoy :)

stay tuned
    joe
  12. 500098
    ShortBusMusic : Sun 28th Sep 2014 : 3 years ago Another great entry from DaveDaG, really nicely done. And Joe, the zombie song is terrific.

Less than a week left to get the entries in. It's going to be a difficult decision. Again, my thanks to all of you for taking part and the support on this one.

If you have an opinion of a particular mix that you think is the best, please leave a comment here in this thread. I could use all the help I can get to pick a winner or two :)
  13. 1231236
    joecramer : Sun 28th Sep 2014 : 3 years ago Whats about something like this

1 - you sayed WHO is in the comp.
    2 - all who are IN have to give points for the OTHERS
    3 - YOU give points to ALL
    4 - listener can give there points
    5 - look who got the MOST POINTS

you give something like 20-18-16-14-12.... points
    all who are in have to give 5-4-3-2-1 points
    listener can give 1 point for there fav

:) stay tuned
    joe
  14. 1326261
    DaveDaG : Mon 29th Sep 2014 : 3 years ago Here’s my workflow for this mix
    First of all I checked for the gain staging since stems were too loud, plugins usually don’t love to be overloaded and my mixer faders are post insert (just a few daws have input gain on the channel strip, as Harrison MixBus) so I put Sonimus Britson on every channels to set the level at 0db Vu (-18db)
    This is a good way to check every singles stems and the balance of loops.

Percussion1 has transient shots too loud so the intro rms was too quiet, i could use a compressor to level dynamics, but I choose for clip gain metod avoiding over processing that change hardly original sound.

Uploaded the stem on melodyne I lowered those sample (You can do it editing the waveform directly in your daw, but it takes a long time to cut start and finish point of each sample, while melodyne split automatically every shot)

In the drum stem I found the snare was too loud also and I need different process for kick and snare, so I used the same process after duplicated drum track
    In the firsttrack I strongly lowered snare sound, in the second I keep just the snare sound deleting other sounds

Then I did a rough mix levelling volume and doing some pan tweaks

Alloy2 in every channel allows me to eq correctly cutting all resonances, low pass, hi pass and cut to create space for others sound in the same freq range.

Since many tracks are stereo and wet (reverb and delay) I used the alloy2 multiband exciter to wide or “de-wide” every stems for giving a right space (not only hard left and right)

Very light compression on every channel to control the peaks and to enhance the consistency
    SSL channel compressor on guitars and snare

Acoustic guitar 2 has timing issues so I sidechained a gate drived by the pulsing pad (50%mixed with the original) every pulse makes the gate open and guitar feel became grooving on time

Many others minor things, but nothing special

Thanks for listening
    DaveDaG
  15. 500098
    ShortBusMusic : Mon 29th Sep 2014 : 3 years ago @DaveDaG, great synopsis of what you did to the stems to get the sterling result you achieved on this. There were a lot of intentional issues in this one and not only did you spot them all, you did a masterful job explaining how and why you went about fixing things. Great explanation and a huge thanks to you for competing on this. People can learn a lot on here from people like you if they pay attention.

@Joe, good suggestions for selecting a winner, but probably too late in the game to get it implemented. In past contests I've run here on Looperman, I've found "voting" or assinging points, etc. to really fall on deaf ears. People are just apathetic about getting involved and letting others know which track they feel is the best. So, that's why I will rely heavily on reviews from others, and my own ears/personal taste. Next contest I promise we will try and get the community to actually vote on something, haha. In the meantime, the contest ends on the 3rd, so time is running out.
  16. 1100958
    cosmicinfluence : Mon 29th Sep 2014 : 3 years ago Hi bear, love the idea. something a little differant. I wont be entering as i know i am not ready to win something like this just yet but i will be keeping an eye on the entries.
    GOOD LUCK EVERYONE
  17. 589130
    Spd2 : Tue 30th Sep 2014 : 3 years ago Hey Bear and fellow Loopers. I apologize for taking my original entry page a while ago. I didn't think I had a chance to fix it because I was with out my PC due to repair. I figured if I had enough time to revisit my previous version and fix it, then I would remake a new page. That being said, this is my final entry to this awesome contest.

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/160525

I want to give a shout to everyone in this contest and say how remarkable you guys, and what a wonderful job you guys are doing.

PJT
  18. 1331355
    MemphisB : Tue 30th Sep 2014 : 3 years ago Hey you guys some interesting and cool versions of this track mixed on here. So fascinated by the different approaches which then it makes ya think twice about your own. My first mix on here and hopefully done it justice.

https://www.looperman.com/users/tracks/1331355

I like the very fluid movement of the tracks so didn't mess around with timings all that much ,more time spent on volume,Eq,Compression to keep bringing different parts to the front. Look forward to ya comments and any ideas

Memphis B
  19. 500098
    ShortBusMusic : Tue 30th Sep 2014 : 3 years ago Hey Pete, I thought your first mix was good, but holy cow, this second one is spot on! Memphis, thanks so much for throwing your hat in the ring. Nicely done.

Only 3 days left and then the hard part starts, trying to pick a winner. Any suggestions from folks on their favorite version would be greatly appreciated. Leave your comments here in this thread.
  20. 308224
    theHumps : Wed 1st Oct 2014 : 3 years ago I didn’t forget about this, I had a few issues that sidetracked me this month and finally got around to finishing up my mix. First I moved my recording setup to the biggest room in my house and accidentally created an echo chamber so it took me a few weeks to get some drapes and curtains hung up to create a better environment to mix. Then my back went out and I spent a week in bed, unable to sit up, stand or walk. Finally, my internet connection has been interrupted by faulty, old, corroding cables. Living at the beach takes it’s toll on the cables here and it’s the rainy season. I needed a break as well, I found it always helps to clear my mind and ears for a few weeks.

I used a lot of different effects and mixing ideas that I normally don’t. For instance, I took one of the percussion tracks, chopped it up to it’s 3 different sections and applied different effects on each section. I also added another mastering suite to my master track that used a limiter and I usually don’t use a limiter on my master track. I experimented quite a bit so it is what it is. This was a fun challenge and made me think outside the box having to deal with the issues on each track. I put about 20 hours into this and did 6 mix downs.

My recording setup is very different now. My monitors are a bit wider and are placed past my computer giving the mix a whole new dimension as I listen. I made some adjustments to the levels on the rear of the monitors to compensate for a larger room. This is my first attempt at mixing in my new studio so I am not too sure how it will sound to you.

Look forward to checking out the mixes!

Thanks Bear and Shan!

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/160545
  21. 500098
    ShortBusMusic : Thu 2nd Oct 2014 : 3 years ago Wayne, thanks for jumping in the pool!

Only 2 days to the end, so if you want to enter, make changes, etc. you need to "get er done."

Really nice job by everyone involved. It is going to be difficult to pick a winner.
  22. 365820
    WongKiShoo : Thu 2nd Oct 2014 : 3 years ago Here's an idea:

Like, some people fixed the timing on the guitar perfectly but missed other things.. while others did a really good job of making the drums pop or hit on a moment of inspiration in some way..

Once the competition is over and the winner is selected, I think it would be really cool AND interesting if we got only the best elements from all the entries and put them together in a kind of collective SUPER-MiX!

What do people think?? Never know.. crowd mixing might be a new thing if this works :p
  23. 1326261
    DaveDaG : Thu 2nd Oct 2014 : 3 years ago I miss the choir, didn't find in stems, but heard in someone mix
  24. 293573
    Spudsy : Thu 2nd Oct 2014 : 3 years ago Ooooooo go on then, Lets give this a bash ;)
  25. 293573
    Spudsy : Thu 2nd Oct 2014 : 3 years ago Ooooooo go on then, Lets give this a bash ;)
Posts 76 - 100 of 127

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Rock Track