Mixing And Mastering Competition

Posts 51 - 75 of 127
  1. 186161
    Spivkurl : Thu 11th Sep 2014 : 4 years ago Compression is used in mastering pretty often after reverb has been added to individual tracks in the mix. You said " First, to much compression" - I'm wondering what stems you thought had too much compression.

To me, it sounds like you are trying to do something with the original mp3 version that ShortBus uploaded here to looperman. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  2. 365820
    WongKiShoo : Thu 11th Sep 2014 : 4 years ago Personally I would have liked completely dry stems but I think the aim of this challenge is to do the best with what we have, right? :)
  3. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 12th Sep 2014 : 4 years ago That's what I gather as well WongKi. It's about having a challenge and giving it your all.
  4. 500098
    ShortBusMusic : Fri 12th Sep 2014 : 4 years ago George, you and Pat are exactly right. The idea was not to give out dry stems, with everything perfect, thus making the mixing and mastering a lot easier. The idea was to give stems that had issues (like you find in a studio setting) and then see if you can clean things up and make the final product acceptable. Therein lies the challenge :)
  5. 1231236
    joecramer : Fri 12th Sep 2014 : 4 years ago Ok Bear.

I think i can sit down and relax, cause i am ready with "this".

I did a few little last things to my master. Just worked a little on the stereo field, changed some incommings of some instruments and (and that was the hardest part of the compleete master i would say) fit the two transition parts......

Right now i am on a point where i can listen to this track and realy enjoy it, but i didnd want to SEE the samples again, the next few month :)

I am not 100% sure that i am rule conform. (only 99%)
    So i list what i had done and you can tell me.....

i doubeld at one part the acustic guit 1
    i piched at one part the synth 1 octave
    i piched the choir at the end 2 notes

i didnd use all the samples all the time but
    i use all samples at least 1 time and
    i let all samples where they was

sure i had a hand on all samples with EQ REV and things

This was a real good thing for me to do. I never done anything like this befor and i am sure that i never ever spend more time only into mastering a song.

So i am sure that i never will finish a track same fast like befor this comp.

I had a lot of fun (mostly) and i realy tryed to do a master that has something special.

Ok, i think i made a little diffrend master from youre material, But its a cool one. At least its the best one i could do right now.

I had to do this master mostly late night. So i had to use headphones. The sound should be good on them.
    I listen to the mix also on speakers (cheap ones) and it was ok (couldnd test it in real loud) Also i couldnd test it on a car stereo but i hope it sounds good in your car Bear.

Ok, this was/is a funny experiment and i enjoyed being part of it.

May the best win this comp

HERE you find the latest version. And THIS version that you found there is the one that i bring into this comp.
    I named it - Joes FINAL Minimal Master -

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/160013

stay tuned
    joe
  6. 620897
    RameyRae : Fri 12th Sep 2014 : 4 years ago I would like to but can't. I don't even mix my current stuff. I press record freestyle away on different tracks and export lol

I just have Raw talent like that but once things are mastered in ways this thread says? I know "DON'T BL!NK!" track I did last night along with all my other stuff will be on point. To prouders' ears I get off at times but pick back right up. Though to the public? Not really.

Cool thread! I hear you on the prouders' label people use lol

Keep rocking!
    -Rae
  7. 1314122
    strscottT : Sat 13th Sep 2014 : 4 years ago okay here is my mix and master.... ??? And hello all!! I just joined..

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/160025#comments
  8. 365820
    WongKiShoo : Sat 13th Sep 2014 : 4 years ago I think it's really interesting to see that all 4 of the mixes that I've listened to so far have pretty much panned the different parts the same way.. particularly the acoustic guitars.

Science has shown that the left ear is more connected to emotions and I've noticed the more emotionally powerful of the two guitars is the one that's panned left.

Maybe our ears instinctively know something.. hmmm

Anyone else noticed this, or just me?
  9. 365820
    WongKiShoo : Sat 13th Sep 2014 : 4 years ago @ ShortBus

Does my first submission have to be my final submission?

I want to go back and do some things differently and then resubmit if that's ok??
  10. 500098
    ShortBusMusic : Sat 13th Sep 2014 : 4 years ago @Joe and strscottT, I will listen to your mixes tomorrow. Thanks to both of you for entering and for working so hard. Joe, I think you probably are within the rules except for not using all of the samples as they appeared in the original composition (nobody said you couldn't use dynamics and volume to lower certain parts to where they may not be really audible, just that you had to use them....if you get my drift).

George, you can change your entry and try different things and then just let me know when you do to make sure I have the final version. You have until October to get things the way you want them so tweak away bro.

I'm also glad you pointed out the panning similarities as well. I have always thought of my left ear as the dominant one (when I'm on the phone I always listen on the left). It will be interesting to see if someone switches the panning a bit and moves things around a little.

Anyway, I'm thrilled with all of the interest in this, and I hope it has been a productive learning experience for everyone. I'll listen to those latest mixes tomorrow.
  11. 698780
    doudei : Sat 13th Sep 2014 : 4 years ago this is fantastic, what a practical and fun exercise!
    i hope to find some time to give it a shot before the deadline.
    thanks a lot for this opportunity Bear - really loving the music by the way :)
    hope all is well!
  12. 500098
    ShortBusMusic : Sun 14th Sep 2014 : 4 years ago @Joe and strscottT, both nice mixes and strscottT, you put yourself right at the top with your entry. Well done to both of you.

Doudei, it would be great for you to jump in on this! Hope all is good with you and your family.
  13. 1320588
    Psychedeletribe : Tue 16th Sep 2014 : 4 years ago This website won't let me upload anything, but here's my mixed and mastered version. Great song! Thanks for the opportunity.

https://soundcloud.com/psychedeletribe/proximal-vicinity-mixed-and-mastered-by-psychedeletribe
  14. 1320588
    Psychedeletribe : Tue 16th Sep 2014 : 4 years ago Wait nvm it worked finally. Here ya go:

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/160153
  15. 500098
    ShortBusMusic : Wed 17th Sep 2014 : 4 years ago Psychedeletribe, welcome to Looperman.com and thanks for adding another outstanding mix and master to the list. Well done.
  16. 186161
    Spivkurl : Wed 17th Sep 2014 : 4 years ago Well, here's my entry...

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/160180

Was definitely a challenge, but only in the most enjoyable way possible! Really appreciate you setting this up ShortBus! Jammin tune! Hope I have kept within the confines of the rules.
  17. 500098
    ShortBusMusic : Fri 19th Sep 2014 : 4 years ago Spiv, outstanding work my friend. Very few people can achieve the results you do. You really are one of the best on this site.

I would recommend that people who are interested in improving their mixing and mastering skills to really give all of these entries a listen. Each one has their own unique approach and all of them have stellar results. I think this challenge illustrates that even when supplied with the exact same material, each person has a different, but remarkable result. I think it also should illustrate just how critical a great mix and master is when you produce music.

Great job by all who have entered so far.

If you are thinking "I could do a better mix," there is still time to get in on this. Show us what you can do. Thanks to all of the artists who entered for their support and hard work. Remember, there is a rare ShortBusMusic t-shirt to be had by the winner, hahaha.
  18. 1086187
    Orlando51 : Sat 20th Sep 2014 : 4 years ago Hola dear fellow competitors and Loopers...here is my entry following the great Bear's idea for this contest. Due to my recent tight schedules this wasn't an easy task, working in intervals , loosing focus and getting back to it again, but here it is...it's at least close to what was boiling in my head abut how it should sound like, although I'm leaving some room for a possible update (or not) in the next few days before the time runs out. We will see...

Anyways, all thanks to Bear who made this exciting challenge possible (wonderful material for practicing) and all the others who participate in this event.

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/160265
  19. 500098
    ShortBusMusic : Sun 21st Sep 2014 : 4 years ago Orlando, great approach to this, and a wonderful result as well. I think your entry places you right at the top of the charts :) It is going to be difficult to select one winner....hmmmm, perhaps maybe two winners could be in the offing.
  20. 1248311
    Livingsoulsdie : Sun 21st Sep 2014 : 4 years ago This is my shot at the mix comp. Hope I did alright. This track was really bad to begin with lol I tried to give every instrument a little emphasis rather than give one instrument full emphasis. I did give a little emphasis on the brass at the end just because i like the brass lol. https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/160296
  21. 1281572
    promenade2239 : Mon 22nd Sep 2014 : 4 years ago hi Bear, I really liked some of the sounds from your PV song. Here's a composition incorporating brass section and 'percussion1' samples:
    https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/160312
    Hope you will like this one. Competition piece coming soon,
    Alex
  22. 500098
    ShortBusMusic : Mon 22nd Sep 2014 : 4 years ago Another great entry from Livingsoulsdie. And the song from Alex using a couple of the stems from the PV tune is outstanding work as well. I look forward to Alex's competition entry.

A little less than two weeks to go, so if you are working on a mix, make sure to get it posted in this thread. And to all who have worked so hard on this, my most humble thanks.

Bear
  23. 1
    Looperman : Mon 22nd Sep 2014 : 4 years ago I just wanted to add that its great to see such a well run and well received challenge. A credit to you all.

To show a little support Ill add a couple of looperman tshirts to the pot and leave it up to Bear / ShortBusMusic to decide where they go. I dont have all sizes or colours available so check the shop page to see what stock I have left.

Well done everyone !
  24. 500098
    ShortBusMusic : Mon 22nd Sep 2014 : 4 years ago Hey Shan, thanks for allowing this competition to happen, and for throwing a couple of t-shirts in as prizes. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that Looperman.com is a fantastic place to share ideas, music, advice, etc. Thanks for providing a platform for all of us.
  25. 186161
    Spivkurl : Mon 22nd Sep 2014 : 4 years ago ooooo... Looperman T-shirts! Sweet!
Posts 51 - 75 of 127

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Trap Track