Do You Ever Play Back Your Old Tracks And Think

Posts 1 - 25 of 37
  1. 666289
    FreeRadical : Sun 3rd Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

Do you ever play back your old tracks and think "God this is crap!!!"
    I do and it makes me ever so slightly pissed off that everyone has nothing but nice things to say about it. More to the point, who downloads it? Are you deaf? Tell me i'm not alone please!

2. 841435
    ValveDriver : Mon 4th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

You're not alone.
    While, I appreciate every comment I get, I sometimes wonder if it's just unconditional support from the people. I'm sure if I posted my tracks on somebody like Rick Ruben's page, it would be torn to shreds without a single F'k given to how I feel about it. With every mistake, flaw and general screw up pointed out. And then told that I suck, and that I should never have even tried. But, here, (most of) the people surrounding us are just like us. Beginners, Noobs, and basement hobbyists. All of which want everyone else to improve and succeed. There are a few people that will throw suggestions and brutal honesty. But, for the most part, it's just a "Good job dude! Don't give up!" kind of thing.
    That, and an artist is always his own worst critic. When I post a track, I have a complete checklist of shit I don't like, not comfortable with, or just not sure of. I never hand out that checklist, because I know I'm hyper-critcal of my own work, and don't want people to go into it with a preconceived notion of what to look for. I know those few reputable, and educated people I mentioned before, have no problem pointing out suggestions. If they don't say anything, then It must be good. Ya know?
    Finally, the people that download are probably two kinds of people. The first, being the kid who's going to chop it up and use it his own attempts at "producing." The second being the kid that really does like your work and wants to listen to it on his iPod while he's driving to work, or play it in the mix at a party, or whatever.
    Never underestimate the crowd, man. More importantly, never underestimate yourself. You might think it sucks, but someone else may think it's the most awesome shit ever.

That's my two cents, anyhow. Take it for what it's worth.
    Take care.
    V.

3. 486477
    GramoChopin : Mon 4th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

Yea, all the time. Sometimes I'll get what I'm officially dubbing the "skill cloud." Basically it's whenever I listen to someone better than me. Then I feel as if my work isn't good enough, sometimes I even outright hate my music.

It's a never ending path to perfecting your craft. But I'm always getting inspiration from loads of different places, especially here.

"I do and it makes me ever so slightly pissed off that everyone has nothing but nice things to say about it." I tend to think most people who reviews my tracks actually don't really like it. I think they would just want me to check out their work. Quote on quote "favor for a favor." (But we all know how most members are on that subject)

Most of you seem honest with your reviews and whether you dig any productions on here. Especially you FR and of course ValVe too, great detailed reviews from you two. Props to both of you!

and @ ValVe yea the loop has gotten better over the years review wise I think. I used to think alot of people on here were overly nice. All the extensive typing and detailed answers, it was all too much for me at first.

But most members (especially the oldheads lol) genuinely want to help you get better or answer any questions you may have. So the people saying "Good track bro" or "Real dope track man" are probably trying to help/support. Maybe some just don't know how to express what they think into words.

In the end though, all of us here (for the most part) have another life outside this one. So most times people maybe busy and may leave a short review like the examples above.

4. 1201983
    RenzWilde : Mon 4th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

I'll give my 2 cents for what they are worth.

I tend to leave positive comments because they are genuine. And I make it easy on myself by not listening to genres of music I have no interest in. You wont see me making any comments on dubstep or hip-hop cause, for the most part, dont care much for that music. I like some popular hip-hop, but I'm the last person to give any kinda feedback on someone starting out in that genre. Even a "cool track dude" would be lying on my part.

I think it works both ways cause I haven't had many comments from those type of producers also.

As for not liking your own music or thinking it sucks when others are saying its great, is kinda tricky. Trust me, I'm no expert being a noob myself. But what I think is happening is producers get so involved in writing, tweeking, looping, EQ'ing, remixing, overdubbing, etc... that we get sick of the same sh!t.

BUT, we must like it enough to release it for the world to hear. And when others hear it, they are hearing it for the 1st time and not only that, but they are likely hearing what you liked about it in the 1st place.

That make any sense? :/

Brian May of Queen hated the final mix of Under Pressure with David Bowie. The song is considered a classic now. Loved around the world by generations of fans. And yet May doesn't like it and basically thinks it's shit.

So there you go :)

5. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Mon 4th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

I play my old tracks and go "God O.o who mastered this crap" and those drums wtf was I thinking :O Live an

6. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Mon 4th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

*Live and learn,
    this computer seems to like to post before I tell it too :/

7. 174317
    smallpaul : Mon 4th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

Ha ha yes mate regularly! But that just goes to show how your ears and hopefully your skills have improved since you started. Who in the world has ever just woken up one day and been the expert producer/writer/performer? Iam sure the people who left comments at the time were even newer to the site and genuinely felt moved enough to listen and write something. You could take down your old identity, re invent yourself and post all your new stuff, then you could just get reviews that go 'love this track man, sounds a lot like...erm what his name....anyway great stuff!' ha ha
    Mr ValVe has it right. Good thread though just goes to show its a learning cuve and practice makes perfect as is life!

8. 666289
    FreeRadical : Mon 4th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

Well i'm glad it isn't just me and cheers to all for sharing your opinions.
    It's got me thinking perhaps i'm being too harsh on myself because sometimes i do find myself liking a crap tune. It's normally for all the wrong reasons but does that matter?
    Crap = funny and if it cheers you up then i suppose it isn't actually crap. It's good lol.

9. 1115991
    Unknown User : Mon 4th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

Indeed, mostly I am shaking my head by browsing the old stuff. And sometimes I take a piece to build a new one from it. Merging old and new ideas. My old sh** was/is really mostly sh** ...

10. 186161
    Spivkurl : Mon 4th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

I have this happen sometimes. I think it is important for artists of all medias to go through this, so they can improve. You should be somewhat critical of your own work, otherwise how can you learn and evolve?

This is part of why I release albums. Once it is released, and free for all, it is in the past for me. Not only is it cathartic, but it frees you to do something new and better.

I think you should be critical of yourself, otherwise how can you evolve and improve? I find it hard sometimes to explain things that I don't like about a track unless I'm drunk or something, then I wake up feeling guilty. Any way, who am I to judge what this artist was intending? I'm not in their head.

RenzWilde has a good point too, about not really paying attention to genres that you aren't into. This cuts down on the need to be unnecessarily critical.

I try to us the fact that I'm no longer happy with a track as a tool when it comes to Looperman. I have to delete a track every time I upload a new one, so I chose one that I no longer identify with or whatever. This tends to keep my track list more focused on the music that I am pleased with.

Good thread!

11. 396465
    BongiG : Mon 4th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

Dont we all frown when listening to some of our old stuff? The first question I ask myself is "What was I thinking?".And makes you wonder what was going through your head.
    In a way it shows how far you've come. It tells you how improved you have. And I learn from that.

12. 224104
    Mosaic : Tue 5th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

@All

Good post FR, occasionally I do listen to some of my older tracks and think wow what a heap of SHITE, but mostly when listening back to my older tunes created, I say to myself, this isn't to bad, even had the occasion when I thought it was someone else's track it sounded that good, until the OLD brain clicks in, realising I actually made the track, mostly nice surprise's but sometimes horror lol...

It is good to hear some of the older stuff sometimes to see how far you have come with your art of making tunes...More so the way you have changed your thinking pattern when creating, I still have my first ever track called Chill Baby that I completed that I uploaded here when first joined, listening to it now WELLLL not so perfect, realising how far I have come and I have grown with my tunes, but it still is my all time fav track to listen too even if it isn't perfect, as it was the first, liking it to your first ever kiss, you don't forget lol...

Peace Gang
    Mos

13. 1048767
    buffalonugaluss : Tue 5th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

i get that when i listen to properly made stuff.
    not saying my old stuff is awsome lol i changed my name a few times before i found a bag of Snyder buffalo wing pretzel chunks and was like "buffalo...nugs...:O thats me"
    but yea i do look back and think wow poop music i made there.

14. 891724
    TheRiot504 : Tue 5th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

I do that all the time, it always inspires me to make better tracks, when I go and ask people who said it was good they always say "Hey, at the time it was good, cuz well...you were not good, but now that you are making good songs I can say, that really sucked" xD

15. 224104
    Mosaic : Wed 6th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

@FR and All

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/158793

Mate liked this thread had some memories flooding back talking about first works done, so went and found a copy of my first ever track made and uploaded here on the loop 2009, so reposted for you guys and gals to have a listen too, nothing has been changed or will be changed in this track, only thing is I have mastered it now, where's when it was here before it was unmastered...NOT perfect but good to listen too for sentimental times, from beginning until now, to see how far I have come...

Peace
    Mosaic

16. 318543
    profplum : Mon 11th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

I listen to my old tracks and think how can i better perfection. I cant it makes me sad.

17. 318543
    profplum : Mon 11th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

Just to make it clear because of all the emails i am receiving i was being honest and truthful not sarcastic.

18. 704238
    eazymindz : Mon 11th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

In life, its all about time and evolving. The most of the non musician people (the listener) do not hear detail in songs. They do not hear your progress. Beside that, they are your tracks, so if you not made any progress, that would be bad... I guess where we as musicians think, ahh f*ck that sucks big time, other people will love it.. Somewhere 10 years ago i enter`d a remix contest, and it was released on a label in mexico. If i listen now to that track, i think, how could they think that it was good enough, but it was. They thought it was...

Be critical on your own products, but don`t try to think for others. You don`t know what or why people like it, until they say... One of the great lessons of life, haha Xd.

Peace and One Love,

BabOesh.

19. 847669
    EricMilligan : Mon 11th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

For years, I told myself that I was only making music for myself and never let anybody hear it. Probably a good thing because it was pretty much crap anyway. Found Looperman and kind of changed my attitude. I actually did want to share what I had created and I did care about whether listeners thought it was any good or not.

I rarely get really informed critiques of my tracks, perhaps because they aren't worth the effort. Even if I don't agree with the critique, and mostly I do agree, I appreciate the input and advice. It does take effort and, frankly, a bit of guts to develop and post an informed critique I think. But, I appreciate the positive comments that I do get, particularly if they are more than one-liners.

When I comment on tracks posted by other Looperman members, I do try to provide some substantive feedback, mentioning aspects of the track that I really liked or commenting on its potential. I only comment on tracks that I really connect with. I listen to a lot more tracks than I comment on. Very hard to keep up with all the tracks that are posted, though. Would be nice to have a "favourites" feature on Looperman, but I guess the risk there is that people would start focusing on a small subset of the new tracks and miss out on some really good stuff from new members or veteran members who haven't posted in a while.

20. 855186
    Ditchy69 : Mon 11th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

All the time. I would remember that feeling of banging out a track in a day or maybe 2 with practically no mastering and thinking - yeah, awesome.

Now when I hear them again all I can do is picture all the things I did wrong and what I should have done, changed and edited.

I'm nowhere near a brilliant producer, but I can really see how I have improved over the past 2 years since I started.

The worst feeling I get is being proud of a track and then listening to someone a lot better in the community and thinking "will I ever get that good?!"...can be quite irritating considering I do this purely out of hobby lol.

21. 189474
    ImproveWithError : Mon 11th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

Unfortunately I do this all the time, I get ready to play one of my tracks and think this one was a good one. Then I make the mistake of listening to it and I realize I have a never written a good song and the quality of my recordings are better but are still not very good. Oh well I guess its still fun to make "music"

22. 943534
    johnnyproducing : Mon 11th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

Mostly I try to be honest in my reviews and will say if things can be improved, but sometimes I don't hear what others hear so I will go with a standard good job and such

Another problem with being totally honest is that if you come along and say "your music hurts to listen too" then you are being seen as a annoying prick which is something most people want to avoid, besides it doesn't add towards constructive feedback

I think the best thing to do when you don't like something is just skip the track and listen to something else which is better, something I most of the time do. It works out pretty well

Note to readers: If you didn't receive a comment it could also just be that I looked over it or got nothing to say about it

eventually people will stop by for constructive feedback I believe, so that is a plus for the site
    but I get what you are saying ;)

23. 1112137
    AngelDelarosaJr : Mon 11th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

Would rather look at it as "wow i can tell by how much ive improved!" Lol

24. 847669
    EricMilligan : Mon 11th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

Actually, Angel, that is a really good way of looking at it. I think you have the right attitude!

This thread reminds me of something I read recently in a biography of Berry Gordy, founder of Motown Records. He "discovered" and groomed the Supremes, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Gladys Knight, Stevie Wonder, the Temptations, Marvin Gaye, the Marvelettes, the Jackson 5, Lionel Ritchie and the Commodores, and many others.

Apparently, most of them weren't all that amazingly good at the beginning, but they had talent and discipline and they kept at it. Berry's genius was his ability to "see" the potential, connect them with other talented songwriters and musicians (i.e., collaborators) and to keep them focused on continuous improvement and excellence. For many of them, they went quite some time without making hit records. But, they kept at it.

Smokey Robinson has to be one of the greatest and most prolific songwriters of popular music (wrote over 1000 songs apparently), but he was very self-critical at first and it was a couple of years I think before he finally wrote a song that he felt met his own standards. Motown was VERY selective in what they released. Gordy and his team rejected probably thousands of tracks written and recorded by his top artists and musicians. They met at the end of every week to audition tracks recorded that week and were ruthless in rejecting anything they felt was not absolutely top notch material. The rule was brutal honesty about the merits of a track, regardless of who had recorded it.

I'm not saying that any of us are in the same league as these artists, certainly I'm not, but we need to take the same lesson and keep trying to make each track better than the last. And, we need to get honest feedback from other producers. That inevitably means that our older stuff might not measure up to the most recent, but as you said, that just demonstrates how much we've improved our craft.

25. 1201983
    RenzWilde : Mon 11th Aug 2014 : 7 years ago

eazymindz has a great take on this, IMO. He made some good points in his post.

"Be critical on your own products, but don`t try to think for others. You don`t know what or why people like it, until they say... One of the great lessons of life, haha Xd."

Very well said and is how I see things as well.

Posts 1 - 25 of 37

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.