Zen And The Art Of Cable Maintenance

Posts 1 - 4 of 4
  1. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Wed 23rd Jul 2014 : 5 years ago

Recently there was a discussion about DAW's and their supposed audio footprint,I've always been a signal path pilgrim and a disciple of the "from brain through instrument to output jack" mindset....that thread got me motivated enough to confront a few niggling issues I've been having with my own recording setup,a hardly noticeable noise floor level indication on armed tracks,some stereo image degradation from my synthesizer and some right monitor volume bias..all adding up to the presence of the old cable and input socket demon......Down to the local electronics store for 10 meters of shielded instrument cable,16 new 6.5 socket jacks and a can of electronic cleaning solvent....after some busy soldering all cables were replaced,opening the synth case revealed a broken solder join on an input socket,fixed in a moment and finally opening my audio interface and cleaning every input and output socket.......welcome to the pristine land of audio clarity,Hallelujah!!!..an amazingly easy audio makeover,cost $50 and a little know how.....cables and sockets all oxidize over time,solder joints break and deteriorate and this always effects your signal to some degree,become a born again recording artist....like me! ;)

2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Wed 23rd Jul 2014 : 5 years ago

Can't tell you how cool it is to hear someone talking about soldering on here! I could definitely use some of this action in my studio.

So it sounds like this fixed the troubles you were having?

3. 672953
    Ozzz : Wed 23rd Jul 2014 : 5 years ago

Love this dissecting electronic stuff, more into cars but the concept is the same..

Marshall, if vintage stuff is your cup of coffee, let me know. I've got eighteen vintage synth keyboards and three Neve rack mounts from the 70s, I think. They're all spoken for, but if the deal drops through.. you know..

Just thought I'd throw that out, being how we live not far from eachother..

Anyways, good stuff..

4. 1115991
    Unknown User : Thu 24th Jul 2014 : 5 years ago

Good thing you got that sorted out. Had the same issue back with a cheap USB-mic. It got cleared out, that the Mic wasn't even that cheap. But my cable was. Also I used a HUB with ... naah, I just quit here. Greetings

Posts 1 - 4 of 4

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.