False Copyright Claims

Posts 1 - 25 of 42
  1. 891724
    TheRiot504 : Sun 20th Jul 2014 : 8 years ago

So far in the two years I have been making music I have had about five or six FALSE copyright claims, on YouTube of course, most of them were just bots that got closed within an hour, a few others I had to contact the CEO of the small company making that claim, they drop the claim and I never hear from them again. Today I have gotten three copyright notices. One from one of my early days which was all made from royalty free loops from an old website(that lost its funding and closed) Clubcreate. This was from the same company that made the other copyright claim. I got a copyright claim on my song with the looperman community, claiming that the bass-line is from a song(that's not public) Then a claim on my Walk Away song FEATURING FARISHA, He is selling his version of the song on Amazon, which(unless he got special permission from farisha) violates the agreement of use but I still have the right to use the song aslong as its commercial free and he is making(or his lable) false, un-rightful copyright claims. I am fighting back.

Now the reason I started this thread was to share my encounter, I want YOU, the LooperMan community, to share YOURS and maybe we can stop this bull. :) thanks for taking the time to read this.

2. 891724

The following people who made the claim: Routenote, Zimbalam, and Merlin Lable Engine.

And I found out that non-public song was public and it uses the same bassline, which is obviously the loop I got off the site...

3. 817298
    Enzotic : Sun 20th Jul 2014 : 8 years ago

It sucks that so many people don't know about copyright and would go out of their way to claim infringement. Good luck to you with that little dispute!

4. 891724

I know, I always try to go out of my away to avoid infringement(proper credit, not ads all that) but some people are just jerks OR the labels don't do research and just make a claim and just get proved wrong.

5. 1207356
    boycottProductions : Mon 21st Jul 2014 : 8 years ago

Here are some interesting threads about the topic.

Why are new companies allowed to make copyright claims

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/youtube/GK4ToSfk5DQ/yupBqXukVfsJ

False Copyright Claims on YouTube

http://artisantony.com/9-uncategorised/98-false-copyright-claims-on-youtube

I have been through something similar on YouTube and SoundCloud. I have shown them proof of my work and it took less than a week to resolve the problem. They were very professional and willing to help.

Always be careful with other music engine sites, as they have their own rules. Always read the fine print.

Here's one more link that might help.

Understand the copyright claim on your video

https://support.google.com/youtube/troubleshooter/4440751?p=c_video_diagnose&rd=3

Peace.

6. 891724
    TheRiot504 : Mon 21st Jul 2014 : 8 years ago

Thanks boycott :) those linked helped.

7. 1207356
    boycottProductions : Mon 21st Jul 2014 : 8 years ago

No Problem TheRiot504 :)

8. 642103
    DJCinema : Mon 21st Jul 2014 : 8 years ago

I've been sent a few bogus copyright claims, too. All backed down then slithered back into the shadows after I disputed it. YouTube does nothing I can see to enforce OUR rights against those companies. What we need is to form a class action suit. Any takers? I'm in Los Angeles and am talking about US laws and copyright laws. If enough of us join forces, we can find a good law firm. I know a few. PM if interested.

9. 903076
    soundhound : Mon 21st Jul 2014 : 8 years ago

Well I own a Publishing Company ( CAN-A-MER ) Publishing reg. with SOCAN
    Canada...
    Unless a song is with say BMI or one of the other Music CopyRight Companies
    that protect artists Music from the Bandits out here...
    The only form of protection you have is " The time and date you uploaded the song " on this site or some other...
    There is another way, Make a CD of your song or songs and Register Mail it to
    yourself, and do not open it (NEVER) let the Judge do it, if and when it goes to
    Court...
    The Record Industry has been Destroyed by the DAW, so now the Corruption
    is running rampant...
    Most are just throwing crap at the wall hoping it sticks, and if you pay them
    they win...
    This is the problem of using other peoples Music in the commercial game...
    When you are out there, use your own music because everybody is trying
    to ride on the Fame and or Music Formulas of others...
    If you're using someone else's music to make money, you've got no right
    to be in the Game anyway, because you are not good enough to write your
    own...And you play into the hands of the Bandits...

Peace...TG.

10. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Mon 21st Jul 2014 : 8 years ago

@soundhound...absofrigginlutely man,totally concur!

11. 186161
    Spivkurl : Mon 21st Jul 2014 : 8 years ago

Part of the problem I see, is that everything sounds the same lately. Even down to the individual drum sounds. You can almost be sure that even a simple kick drum sound has been sampled and copyrighted by some company in the past. Many people are using sounds/loops/whatever that have circulated all over the place, and they're not changing them in any way to use them in their work. If something obviously sounds familiar, then it is no surprise that it will draw attention like this. There is always going to be someone out there who thinks they did it first. Not to say that you the original poster fall into any of these categories, but it felt like it needed to be said. Then there's the real big problem - money ruins art.

12. 691199
    Modnex : Mon 21st Jul 2014 : 8 years ago

I don't understand why people use loops to make real songs. There is nothing wrong with using a loop as practice or perhaps just for the fun of it. But using one to make a song you plan on putting on an album and releasing is just plain laziness and unoriginal. Loops in my honest opinion are for beginners, who don't know how to produce their own music. If you call yourself a producer and you only ever use loops to make your songs then you are false advertising your title.

Producers know how to make their own sounds, use EQ/compression and know how to make their own melodies. People who use loops to make their music aren't producers, they're organizers. You shouldn't even be able to call a song yours if you're not using your own melodies and sounds. Music is an art. Art is used to express our feelings and emotions. How can one possibly call themselves an "artist" when they're simply copying and pasting. Yeah, you might of changed the pitch and/or did a little touch up here and there, but in the end that is no different than taking a picture of Mona Lisa, changing the color of her shirt and calling yourself an artist.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people who use loops. I just think you should make your own sounds 99% of the time.

13. 817298
    Enzotic : Mon 21st Jul 2014 : 8 years ago

Not sure if I agree with that. You can come up with a lot of creative material from manipulating simple loops. I personally don't use too many loops in the way that they were uploaded to avoid issues mentioned in the original post, but sampling from a loop and creating something completely new from it can be a fun and creative way to design sound.

With that being said, I don't advise anyone reading this to go sample from anything that is not royalty free...

14. 224104
    Mosaic : Mon 21st Jul 2014 : 8 years ago

@Modnex

"Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people who use loops"

I make tracks with basically loops, yes now have gotten a controller gadget thingy.. to start trying to make own loops etc...But to say someone is not an artist because using loops personally I think that is so wrong, you still have to construct the track and also fiddle with loops to get a certain feeling emotion coming from track that you want...Sadly there is a lot of people that can not play an instrument, I am one of them @ 49 years of age don't think much chance of me learning anything now good enough to do my own tracks without using loops, So people who want to express, look for what they can do it with, achieving a way to express there talent to construct a track by using loops to make these tracks to share with others, you also have to blend certain samples/loops to achieve a nice sound and track for the listener, sorry to put this up mate but did sound like you had a thing for people that only use loops to make tracks, maybe you didn't mean it to come across like that...

@ALL

Told ya I was a old fart lol

Peace
    Mosaic

15. 672953
    Ozzz : Mon 21st Jul 2014 : 8 years ago

No way! Making songs with loops is hard, much more difficult than making your own by far. Perhaps I was born upside down. Whoever makes music solely with uncorrelated loops are guns. Much respect to them..

16. 691199

You guys are misunderstanding me. Mosiac, if you read my previous post, I said in the beginning there is nothing wrong with making tracks out of loops, for the fun of it or just for the learning purposes. My post is aimed at people who are making money off of music with just loops and is also aimed at people who like to call themselves producers, when this is not the case. Sorry if there was any confusion there. That's why I said making an album.

Also you don't have to know how to play an instrument to make your own sounds. With synthesizers these days, its all about just messing around the piano roll. Producers do not have to be musicians (play an instrument) to make their own sounds. I mean for crying out loud look at people like avicii, swedish house mafia, martin garixx and so on and so fourth. None of those artist know how to play instruments, they try, but they do not know how. Yet all of their songs have originality in it.

I was not putting down people who use loops. I mean if I did not like people who used loops then why would I join a community, whose main theme is loop usage? Lol. I was simply stating that I believe people should know how to make their own sounds. How can you express your feelings through music or really be considered an artist, when you don't make your own art? Loops are there for people who are still learning how to make their own art. Its a tool that should be used once in a while. Using loops every time you make a song, or making a song completely out of loops, is not going to benefit you in anyway. How is one suppose to learn if they continue to use the same methods they used when they were just starting out? I think people should step out of their comfort zone. You may just surprise yourself. It's only my opinion. If you're more comfortable with using loops and music is only a hobby, then that's fine. But if you plan on making a career out of music, then it's best you learn how to make your own stuff. Using one or two loops is fine, using loops to make your entire song is not. Again, it's only my opinion, no need to get the guillotine out people.

17. 268784
    3n0 : Mon 21st Jul 2014 : 8 years ago

I like how every thread on looperman goes off topic. :D

18. 672953
    Ozzz : Mon 21st Jul 2014 : 8 years ago

Modnex,

This whole thing is a phase, a pass time hobby to alot of members, including myself. All those active members sharpening their skills and slapping out sick music are the minority. Personally, I don't even listen to music, nobody knows I even make music, sometimes I wonder why I'm still here, lol!..

Tootaloo..

19. 486477
    GramoChopin : Mon 21st Jul 2014 : 8 years ago

@3nO lol pretty much. It's like we have short attention spans sometimes.

20. 186161

I can definitely see both sides of the loop issue. Using loops exactly as they are gets old, and it can lead to problems like copyright issues as well as having your track sound like everyone else. I think using loops, especially looperman loops, is a great way to bring outside influences into your art work. Not everyone thinks the same way, and sometimes one person doing their thing day after day can lead to stagnation. I look at using loops and samples in the same way I look at collage work, and I'll be damned if I'll stay quiet if any one says that's not art. Sound is sound, regardless of where it came from.

21. 691199

I agree with you Ozzi! Most of us here just do this for fun. Music is a great thing and everyone loves to express it in different ways. I guess at the end of the day, that is all that matters. We all love music and we all love to express our feelings for it, one way or another :)!

22. 486477
    GramoChopin : Mon 21st Jul 2014 : 8 years ago

@ Ozzi LOL

@Spiv Well said

Even then, loops have been used in people's careers before. I've heard a couple of "hits" that were primarily loop based. I haven't heard a loop based album before though (yet) but I'm sure maybe someone is making something like that. You'd be surprised what some can do with loops.

23. 691199

Lets just drop it guys! It was just my opinion. I am sorry for any problems, I may have caused. Most of my views usually always leads to a debate. Which is why I am learning to just keep my mouth shut. I was just stating my opinion and I will no longer do that here. I know most of you use loops and the same ones who do, can probably teach me a lot about the music world. I just thought it would be nice to say what was on mind at the time. I am regretting that decision now, like I always do. Lets just act like none of this happened and continuing doing what we love. Regardless of what I previously said, we all love making music and don't let an ignoramus such as my self stop you from doing that!

24. 186161

Your not an ingnoramus for stating your opinion Modnex! That's all most people are doing on forums, and you weren't the only one.

25. 691199

Thanks for that Spivkurl! You're right on that one. Well have a nice day everyone! :)

Posts 1 - 25 of 42

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.