Monitors And Headphones

Posts 1 - 7 of 7
  1. 817298
    Enzotic : Mon 14th Jul 2014 : 5 years ago

Hello, Looperman users. I have recently been working on writing a blog on the pros and cons on using both monitors and headphones in mixing. Before I go any further I would like to state that this is not a thread for debate on the superiority of monitors or whether or not it is possible to adequately mix tracks with headphones....

The purpose of the blog I am writing is to give insight on when it is most and least beneficial to use monitors and headphones and how to compensate for the drawbacks of each type of device. It is also geared towards aspiring mixing engineers or people that just want to learn more about mixing.

I have already written up a draft of some pros and cons related to frequency response, stereo image, and the effects of a room on audio. I was wondering if anyone else with personal experience in using both monitors and headphones could provide insight into the difficulties they have faced and how they went about in solving their issues.

2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Mon 14th Jul 2014 : 5 years ago

Interesting topic. I use both monitors and headphones, though I went for a year or two using only headphones as my old speakers stopped functioning. Finally got new monitors though and I'm enjoying having both. A lot of the time, my choice of putting on the headphones is related to my wife being asleep a couple rooms over. (I usually wake up a couple hours before her) When I'm all alone I mostly use the monitors. Having the sound pressed right against your ears is a very different experience from well placed monitors in a good room. Usually when using headphones I notice more ear fatigue than with monitors. Sometimes I find that I can hear more detail in headphones, which is nice. It can help you polish little things in your mix that can add up to a frustrating master. I like the wider frequency range in my monitors though, and I think that helps in shaping the sub and mid frequencies. It's nice to have an audio interface that allows you to connect both at the same time, easily switch between them, and adjust the volume to taste. The place where the plug meets the cable is going out on my headphones now though, so sometimes I have to fiddle with it to get a stereo signal. Annoying.

Hope this was what you were looking for. I'm interested to hear what others have to say about it.

3. 666289
    FreeRadical : Mon 14th Jul 2014 : 5 years ago

I'm currently limited to headphones because my system is packed up and i'm moving all my stuff. I always find mixing anything on headphones is a bit like flipping a coin. Sometimes the mix comes out great and then other times the bass is in the wrong key or there's just too much of it. The highs and the mids don't seem to be a problem, just the low frequencies.

4. 186161

Really, the headphones cause the bass to be in the wrong key? That's unusual. I guess it would probably crop up more using loops.

5. 666289
    FreeRadical : Mon 14th Jul 2014 : 5 years ago

Yeah, i've had tracks that i've made on headphones where i play it back on a sound system and loads of stuff is just wrong in the bass department. Maybe it's just my headphones but i hate using them.

6. 186161

Makes sense, It's not the easiest thing to find headphones with a wide frequency range, especially at low prices.

7. 817298
    Enzotic : Mon 14th Jul 2014 : 5 years ago

Thanks for the input thus far!

Posts 1 - 7 of 7

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads