Big Room House Is An Embarrassment To Electronic Music

Posts 1 - 25 of 55
  1. 1194033
    Venturi : Thu 12th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

For a while, I wondered why anyone would want to listen to Big Room. Every song is essentially a slightly-altered copy of "Sandro Silva & Quintino - Epic", yet they're all massively popular.

Why is that? I think it's due to the recent (within the last few years) influx of young people who want to attend large EDM events and dance around to a loud, repetitive sound. As a result, they listen to and favorite (and consequently promote and support) these trashy excuses for music. The appreciation for intricacy and beauty in electronic music is, for the time being, gone in the minds of the masses (which means it's now hipster to want quality music that isn't fucking McDonald's EDM).

I'm sure some of you have differing opinions. Comment what you think and why, if you like.

Venturi

2. 1194033

Posted long ago, but the point still rings true:

https://soundcloud.com/daleri/epic-mashleg

3. 951439
    Evisma : Thu 12th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

Personally, I don't know how anyone can listen to dance drums for more than 30 seconds without eating a god-damn bullet. One bass drum, one snare, for six minutes.

Why?

My washing machine does that, and I don't have a line of skanks and douchebags going out the door and spilling into the street. Probably because they're intimidated by my bass guitar and how it doesn't have a "Play" button to make it go.

4. 347760
    PortraitOfABlackHole : Thu 12th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

oh man.... its time for hate-that-genre again.

Is it rare that I do play "real" instruments, but have a passion for EDM? cuase it seems like no one else can enjoy both without bashing the other.

5. 174317
    smallpaul : Thu 12th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

Loud repetitive sounds in EDM surely not?. That link on sound cloud was one long clip of beats, I didnt know that was considered a genre, I must have missed something. I know of big room tracks from back in the day but they were tuneful and melodic. If someone can make a track of just beats then I would have to agree that this is a bit of a backward step for EDM.

6. 666289
    FreeRadical : Thu 12th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

Yeah i don't really dig that style of house and i like most EDM music. That style just grates on you after a while.

7. 731285
    djkillapaul : Thu 12th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

I have just subjected my ears to the track venturi tagged earlier in this thread. What is the point? First time I have heard about "Big Room House" and also the last.

8. 365820
    WongKiShoo : Thu 12th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

Maybe it's so popular because it's what listener's wanna hear when they're out clubbing??

I listen to house almost exclusively and to be fair the example track you gave is a pretty poor one. Here's a good example I think:

Mat Zo & Porter Robinson - Easy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at3FPJaAwoY

There is good and bad in every genre... and conversely, I could say the same about genres like rock music. Just how many sounds can guitars make before you've heard it all before??

9. 1201946
    PackManDubstep : Thu 12th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

I like Big Room House. I listen to it at my home and in my car. I like the focus on buildup and the attention to detail within the drops. I don't use drugs while I listen. I've even recently begun producing it. I can play 6 physical instruments. House is just where I'm most creative. It all depends on the producer. This is my favorite producer and the first Big Room House song I've ever heard: https://soundcloud.com/speakerofthehouse/speaker-of-the-house-thirsty

10. 1201946
    PackManDubstep : Thu 12th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

Also, Evisma, oh, how I wish it were that simple sometimes. Listen closely and the amount of percussion in any good EDM song will probably surprise you.

11. 1194033

There's not really a lot of complexity nor detail in BRH songs. Here's the formula for making a popular one:

1) Four on the floor bass kick
    2) A bland throwaway melody
    3) A huge noisy buildup, followed by silence, outside of woodblocks or synth plucks played over and over with a massive amount of reverb
    4) Pryda snares EVERYWHERE
    5) Make sure everything is in triplets

Congrats, you are now a big room star!

12. 365820
    WongKiShoo : Thu 12th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

Ok then Venturi, instead of just being dismissive of pretty much every house track made in the last 15 years.. why don't you give us an example of what real music is? :)

13. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Fri 13th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

If I started threads about what I thought was an embarrassment to music the site's server limit would max out pretty quickly! lol....there's absolutely no point in trying to arbitrarily decided what's good or bad,everyone has a different(and valid)point of view...if music must be judged surely the only fair assessment is one of longevity,and that's going to leave Classical music right at the top of the popularity stakes...any agreement on that?..I thought not..most contemporary sub genres are a flash in the pan and will be lucky to last a year or a couple of months,one thing you can bet on though there'll be heaps more music that annoys you.

14. 851137
    crucethus : Fri 13th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

You know there is one simple rule I have learned in music over the years. Simple is difficult to pull off sometimes because you have to be spot on to the listener. I had a colleague show me underground house music in 1998 and I tried to re-create that sound and I failed miserably because I wanted to add so much more to the arrangement. A great lesson to me is this. go bang a drumstick on a snare for 30 minutes at the same BPM with no fills, see if you can do it, because it's infinitely hard from a technical stand point. it's boring to listen too, but if you can't do that, then you should probably not comment on other genre's being simple or boring or not difficult enough for the listener, because your missing the point..that's my 2 cents.

15. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 13th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

hmmm, bang on a snare, sounds fun... might have to do that tomorrow! Thanks Crucethus!

16. 851137
    crucethus : Fri 13th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

@ Spiv, there is a euphemism that I am not getting and maybe don't want to get from you there. (looking suspiciously at the monitor while slowly sipping a Gin & Tonic) Or am I just paranoid????
    Oh well happy trails!

17. 1194033
    Venturi : Fri 13th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

My issue with big room is not necessarily that it exists. I can understand the attractive features of the sound, especially when at a festival.

My issue is that it has encouraged "artists" to not innovate in any way and to rather reproduce other songs in the genre with slight variation. I can think of no other genre that has had this horrific movement happen to it with such intensity.

18. 1194033

Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZt2yDZxpio

19. 365820
    WongKiShoo : Fri 13th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

Hahahahaha! xD

Dat yootoob vedeeo ez orsum! :D

20. 940249
    IceSiberia : Fri 13th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

I've come to the same sort of distaste to the specific genre as well, I think that it's dependence on reverb to fill in the auditory spectrum in between "hits" leaves much to be desired. Almost the same exact "ping" sound is used across all BRH tracks I've heard. I like house music, but BRH is a big exception.

21. 1194033

@IceSiberia: I agree with you entirely.

22. 174317
    smallpaul : Fri 13th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

Big room house competition then?.....anyone?......

23. 588276
    StaticNomad : Fri 13th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

Smallpaul:

Yeah, I'm kind of with you there except my idea would be for a small room house competition.

So, you have to make big room house small and understated and subtle. Probably chilled out and low key. Maybe like a gentle background elevator music type of big room house. Small room for a small space ie an elevator.

What do you think?

24. 174317
    smallpaul : Fri 13th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

Hmmm... I like where youre coming from! I think if anyone can pull that off it would be you mate!! ha ha ha

25. 588276
    StaticNomad : Fri 13th Jun 2014 : 8 years ago

Thanks smallpaul. You never know - maybe I could pull it off.

Only problem is I don't particularly want to. I'd have to spend a while working with stuff I don't like the sound of!

Basically, just get some of the big room stuff and then sit in the background (maybe filtered out), with some sort of gentle tinkly lounge jazz piano over the top.

Also, does big room house ever feature the sounds of big game? So, lions, tigers - that sort of thing.

It really should...

Posts 1 - 25 of 55

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.