What Is The Most Basic Setup For Recording And Producing Tracks

Posts 1 - 21 of 21
  1. 1224330
    rourke : Mon 19th May 2014 : 5 years ago

Hi guys

I am a newbie here and am shure like lots of newbies I am unshure of what works and does not.

SO I want to hear from u guys what would be the most workable setup in terms of software and hardware?

for e.g if 1 wants to produce tracks of a hip hop nature what would 1 need that is basic? Please include brand name and model that will do on a small/basic budget(this is because as a newbie most of us don't have much cash and is only starting out.

So 1 would say that for the hip hop/rap the following might be needed for a basic setup.eg:

Pentuim 4 computer with 3gbram at least
    Fl studio
    Audicity
    Maybe a behringer mic (studio ovcoz)
    behringer studio monitors
    external sound card or internal

the above is just an example.

What would u be spending on this basic setup(this would be great to give us newbies a budget target at least).

thanks a lot guys hope to hear from u.

2. 666289
    FreeRadical : Mon 19th May 2014 : 5 years ago

Well audacity is free so you may as well start there.
    I'm an FL user which is great for dance music but not so sure about for live stuff.
    I think Ableton is better for that malarkey.
    As for the vocal mic, Shure SM58 is very popular.
    But i'm hardly an expert in these matters

3. 1224330
    rourke : Tue 20th May 2014 : 5 years ago

Hi there freeradical

Thanks for the reply

I was mearly referring to the recording of vocals and music(Beats) for house,dance, rap ,hip hop.etc.

Live music will proberbly be something totally different.

The SM58 is I take it a live mic?Which cheap 1 will be good for recording in house? Berhinger perhaps?

4. 1205128
    LivingInSilence : Tue 20th May 2014 : 5 years ago

If it's hip-hop you're interested in than I have 4 words and 1 price for you:

Native Instruments' Maschine Mikro. $428

I know it's a drum machine/sequencer which is used more for live performances but that's just the hardware. The actual SOFTWARE it comes with is amazing, not to mention it focuses heavily on hip-hop, dance, and other electronic genres. It's worth looking into.

5. 1224330

Thanks there livingin silence.

Well this is a lot of money for a noob hey.

I was thinking more of if some1 is on a budget.

Let me explain.
    It seems that now here in South Africa more and more people are having excess to computers and this is leading now to more and more people producing music even if its just from home to begin with.the thing is that I don't have contact with them and I don't know what they are using, but these groups are in poor to medium standard of living locations so I am shure that they are not forking out this kinda cash.

Ok will this work?

Pentuim four Dual core 2.4ghz cpu 3gig ram 1gig graffix card? got aleady

Fl studio?free

Audicity?free

Basic internal 7.1 or 5.1 channel sound card?(Must still get a sound card.maybe ranging from R100-R300in dollars 10 to 30$?

Don't know which mic. There is the berhinger C1/2/3. Check it out.Ranging from R500 to R900 this will be like 40 to 70 dollars. must still get

Mixer don't know maybe a berhinger too small. like R500 to R900 this will be like 40 to 70 dollars?must stll get?

Thanks

6. 365820
    WongKiShoo : Tue 20th May 2014 : 5 years ago

Dude.. if you're just starting out, all you need is a PC and some half-decent headphones.

You're better off NOT buying any hardware and just spending your money on a decent CPU. Getting to grips with any music production software should be your first objective and is the equivalent of learning a new language in my opinion.

Investing in things like studio monitor's would be pre-mature at this stage because you wouldn't have the knowledge/experience to put those expensive monitor's to good use.. that's something that comes much later when you start to understand the principals of sound engineering.

I've been using FL studio for years and I like to think that the tracks I produce are getting to near-pro standard.. All I have ever used is a PC and headphones. Nothing more..

7. 1224330

Yes I guess you are talking the truth

Maybe i am jumping the gun at this stage.

I was just thinking that there are beats available and so on so while I go on learning fl and the other programs my sister or whoever can be in a position to try and better they ryming skills and so forth this will put me on a much larger learning curve as there is mixing and buffering involved as well to try and get the track up to scratch.

The more I play around with it the more it might become clear.

Year but for now maybe I should just stick to fl.

Thanks

8. 666289
    FreeRadical : Tue 20th May 2014 : 5 years ago

FL is great when you get the hang of it so persevere and don't give up.

9. 186161
    Spivkurl : Tue 20th May 2014 : 5 years ago

WongKiShoo! Been a while man! Good to see you here!

But on topic... I guess if you're interested in doing vocals, a microphone is definitely something you'll need. An audio interface can be really helpful for getting those recordings into your DAW with good quality. Maybe some headphones would help if you're not buying monitors right away.

Those things coupled with FL Studio and Audacity would set you up to make some good music in the genres you speak of.

10. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Tue 20th May 2014 : 5 years ago

One tool your going to need is a midi keyboard controller for playing Vsti's, triggering hits etc, you don't need one to start off with but the sooner you get one the better off you'll be,something like Korg nanokeys are cheap and work well,plus you'll eventually learn some keyboard skills and some music theory if you stick with it....in the end if you want to progress with music you need some theory..all the best!

11. 1224330

Thanks a lot guys

This is really helpful.

12. 186161

Planetjazzbass makes a good point. Your music will be a lot more professional sounding and it will flow better if you acquire and learn to use a midi controller.

13. 672953
    Ozzz : Tue 20th May 2014 : 5 years ago

Yeah, listen to WonkiShoo..

A computer based studio + VSTi's is on par with full fledged studios, but without the wow factor. Don't buy a MIDI keyboard or sample sequencers if you don't have hand eye co-ordination, rythm and a sponge for a brain..

An old comp is good enough, install FL studios and get Massive, FM8 and you're in the right direction..

Get yourself a cheap comp mic, they're not as bad as people play them out to be. Two of the three tracks I have with vocals were recorded at the park with them. Not perfect but definitely not crap..

What important is headphones/monitors - the most expensive and important part. My music and loops suffer because Im using crap in ear speakers. A little birdie told me that the ATH-M50 are good stuff..

Just keep it simple..

14. 1224330

Thanks ozzy

Now I see that u say a cheap comp mic?

I have been checking out on them. What model would you say is ideal?

There is a range from Karaoke to condensors?

Also What would u guys buy in terms of Sound card?
    This is 1 that boggles me.

Thanks for all you guys inputs.

Rourke

15. 490439
    ZeeHipHop : Tue 20th May 2014 : 5 years ago

@rourke,

There are a couple of things you'll need to get started.

A half-decent pc/laptop.

Definitely an Audio Interface (make sure this will work on your laptop first! And most of these come with additional DAW software you can use to record too! I say you really need this as it is where you will power your condenser mic and it will have a preamp built-in)

Definitely a condenser mic. All the ones you mentioned will work fine for hip-hop/RnB.

Definitely a decent pair of headphones.

If you check out orangemusic.co.za they usually have studio bundles on special and they deliver anywhere in gauteng within 48 hours (usually. Stock dependent). I got all my stuff from them, they're legit. You might want to save up for a bit though. Trying to record without a mic-stand/pop filter can be super annoying.

Just so you know, I purchased the Focusrite Scarlett Studio to start off with. I still use it with my laptop coz it's easy to travel with. You should look at getting something like that. I think Presonus had a similar package available at some time. I got this at orangemusic too for about 3 and a half grand.

Peace,
    Zee

16. 186161

This is the interface I've been using lately...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i2/

I find it to have what I need to get quality recordings. Decent sounding preamps. Nice to have the monitor and headphone volume controls.

17. 672953

ZeeHipHop: Studio sence, "budget" means a few hundred bucks, bro..

Rourke: Comp mic are those cheap computer mic's people use on Skype. Don't under-estimate their quality. Their cheap and perfect for a beginner/budget studios. I got three tracks with vocal's on them, the one titled "DIE" is the $400 dollar Shure studio mic recorded in a friends studio, the other two are $10 cheap shit recorded outdoors by the lake. Listen to them, the margin isn't big, not enough to justify the extra $390 dosh..

Don't jump the gun, master the art of music making before getting a mic. The only "brand" name you need, is monitors/headphones. Your whole set-up shouldnt cost much, excluding the speakers..

Audio interface; Im using stock sound card with ASIO, it comes with FL studios. I am however using an Olympus FiiO USB thingy, but I think it's an mic/headphone amp..

18. 490439
    ZeeHipHop : Tue 20th May 2014 : 5 years ago

@Ozzi :Hundred bucks to Americans/Europeans is exactly a few grand in South African Rands mate. That exchange rate is killer, lol. Rourke is from my neck of the woods, thought I'd give him a proper heads up. That $400 mic you suggest would cost him/her R4 200 this side.

19. 672953

ZeeHipHop: I thought you were from New Zealand. I'm tripping out, bro. My bad..

20. 847669
    EricMilligan : Wed 21st May 2014 : 5 years ago

My advice, from sad experience, is to limit what you work with by way of VSTs at the outset. Spend the time to really learn each one, including how to automate settings such as filters, volume, panning, etc. I spent years just flitting from one preset to another and never really learned the fundamentals of the instruments I was using. That's fine if you've got a synth programmer and an engineer working for you, but for the rest of us, learning how to get the most from each instrument is worth the investment over the long-term I think. Lots of really popular tracks have been made with a minimum of sounds, so don't feel that you need to create a wall of sound to have something worthwhile. In other words, don't do what I did. Sometimes less is more.

21. 841435
    ValveDriver : Wed 21st May 2014 : 5 years ago

EricMilligan makes a good point, and I back that fully. Getting a new VST can be exciting, and it's fun to dig through the presets. But if you want to seriously create a sound that's going to stand out, stick to one or two synth programs that differ from each other. You don't really want to buy two that do the same thing. WHen you get them, learn the routing, learn the dynamics, the automation filters, etc. just as Eric said. All of the synth sounds in my tracks are created by me from scratch using only 3 or 4 different VST's in FL studios. If you're like me and too impatient to read the users guides to these VST's you can usually find tutorials on Youtube, or even the manufacturer's website.

Good luck and take care.
    V.

Posts 1 - 21 of 21

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads