ATH-M50s

Posts 1 - 13 of 13
  1. 1029245
    LilEmolyte : Fri 9th May 2014 : 5 years ago

Im looking into getting a pair. To anyone who has a pair, could you tell me how they are, sound quality, build quality, and if they are good for making music, and any other information about them would be appreciated as well.

2. 498019
    Tumbleweed : Sat 10th May 2014 : 5 years ago

I have been using M50s for about 5 years...been involved with recording & production since mid 80s and I`d say they are the most accurate set of cans I have owned...very accurate on the lows (which is key) and mid range...my ears are now a bit beat up and that usually shows in the higher frequencies..so they may (or may not) be a little understated in the very highs...I used several sets of cans over the years and usually went with Sony MDV600s when I needed to get a handle on the real high frequencies without turning on the monitors......You wont go wrong with the ATH - M50s EYEDYE....If anything happened to the ones I own I would just go buy another set....I suggest you break them in well before you use them for recording/mixing...I just plugged mine into an MP3 player cranked to a reasonable high volume & let it run overnight through my playlist which has a lot of frequency variation.....Good luck....Ed

3. 1029245
    LilEmolyte : Sat 10th May 2014 : 5 years ago

thanks for the reply, and ive read that you need to burn them in first, playing white noise thru them first, which was something id never heard about, but ill try it if i get them.

4. 1205128
    LivingInSilence : Sat 10th May 2014 : 5 years ago

You don't need to burn-in headphones coz they'll automatically do that the more you use them (it's basically just allowing the coils to loosen up and fit better around the diaphragm.

But if you're gonna burn them in, pink noise is much more ideal for that compared to white noise.
    Or you can do what tumbleweed suggested and blast music through them, which generally works faster but is less controlled so you have to make sure it's not too loud or you'll risk ruining them.

Alternatively you can burn them in by wrapping them in tinfoil with a hint of coriander and placing them in a fan-forced oven at about 180°C for half an hour or until crisp.

5. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Sat 10th May 2014 : 5 years ago

Whoa...I don't mean to burst anybodies bubble but burn in/break in headphones?....are you serious? What are you basing that on? Judging by that do microphones need to be "baked" before we start using them since they are a coil design after all?...also...should I bake my monitors a bit?...I mean they've sounded the same for the past 15 years but maybe they'll improve?

6. 1205128
    LivingInSilence : Sat 10th May 2014 : 5 years ago

The idea is that speakers are meant to get better over time, burning them in just speeds the process.

There are a lot of arguments as to whether or not it makes a difference, and I think it does, just not a HUGE difference.

7. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Sat 10th May 2014 : 5 years ago

Please expand on "speakers are meant to get better over time"...

8. 1205128
    LivingInSilence : Sun 11th May 2014 : 5 years ago

I'm not going to turn this thread into a discussion about whether or not burning-in headphones actually works because 1: This thread isn't about that (i'm happy for you to start a new one to discuss this) and 2: I don't even feel that strongly about said topic.

Burning-in electronics is usually sometimes recommended by companies, e.g. anything with rechargeable batteries will encourage you to let them completely drain out and then completely recharge before using them normally. The only time you would be encouraged not to do this is if it's already been done in the factory (which it usually is).

By straining electronics it allows them to sort of get used to being at their full capacity which in term makes them work a bit better when you use them normally.

I'm not saying that if you keep using headphones that you'll eventually turn a cheap pair of "Liquid Ears" into something equivalent to a pair of $600 Senheizzers, i'm just saying the sound quality will get better slightly over time.
    This obviously doesn't prevent the speakers from eventually blowing out, so you will eventually have to replace them.

9. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Sun 11th May 2014 : 5 years ago

ohh come on...batteries don't have anything in common with the headphones design...whatever...I just wanted to read clear and precise arguments and examples as well as a precise explanation as to what process goes on when this "burn in" happens(and yes I'm talking physics)...I mean once you drop some advice you have to back it up somehow...but anyways...

10. 1205128

The advice I gave was to use pink noise instead of white noise. I said that because if the burn-in process DID work the way people say it does than pink noise would be better than white noise because it has equal energy at every octave rather than every frequency. Again, if we assume burning-in works, using white noise would benefit the higher octaves more than the lower which would throw-off the mix while listening to your track, while pink would give equal treatment to every octave.

And look, debating the whole "burning-in" thing is like debating wether or not ghosts exists, some people will think it's absolute rubbish that can't physically be proven and some will swear by it and claim they've experienced it first hand.

I think you're taking my advice the wrong way. My advice would work if burning-in actually worked, and many people who believe in it would agree with my advice. I could have said "don't worry EYEDYE, it doesn't work" but it sounded like he was convinced it does so I gave him advice based on that.

I then tried to express that I find this a silly topic by making a pun/joke about burning-in headphones (which involved placing them in an oven).
    I didn't intend for you or anyone to take me as seriously as you did so i'm sorry for letting you down with my apathy/lack of clear and precise answers.

11. 498019
  12. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Sun 11th May 2014 : 5 years ago

Whatever...I rest my case and I'll let you guys continue to "bake" your speakers and headphones.

13. 1205128

"Whatever...I rest my case and I'll let you guys continue to "bake" your speakers and headphones."

I'm beginning to think you're replying without even reading more than the first lines of my comments...

Posts 1 - 13 of 13

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads