Do Other People Make Music The Way I Do

Posts 1 - 9 of 9
  1. 782718
    Unknown User : Sun 4th May 2014 : 8 years ago

First off I want to say I wasn't sure what category this should be under, so sorry if it is wrong.

I found this site awhile back and at the time I had music software and I would download some loops and just mess around. Eventually I taught myself the program and built instrumentals out of random loops on here all put together. I got better and better as time went on. Im not talking about just a drum loop and a synth, bass and a clap and I'm done. I make it my own by adding different sounds and textures and making it purely unique. Now I have 34 mixtapes and over 500 beats. I have gotten nothing but good comments from people around me and on the internet. When I did my research online it says producers use loops a lot. More than people know actually. But not JUST loops. Some people say its perfectly fine and actually cool if you make it your own. And some people say its "Cheating". Im biased on the topic of whether you would consider me a producer. Some days I'm my favorite producer and some days I feel like I'm not doing it like everyone else so I'm not a producer. I have always said if I ever got famous for one or more of my songs then I would pay each person who provided a loop a portion of the money. Who cares if its royalty free??? If it wasn't for those people I wouldn't have made it at all. I just want to make great music and share it with the world and everyone around me.

So I guess I would like to know your opinion on the topic. And am I the only person who uses all loops to make beats? I Have never seen anyone make music like me but that docent mean anything. I am self taught. I know how music is supposed to sound in my head but i don't know anything about any instruments or music theory.

Am I a cheater or possibly the most unique producer?

Thanks for your time

Uniquebeatz

2. 588276
    StaticNomad : Sun 4th May 2014 : 8 years ago

If you're just saying you only use loops by other people to make your music then yes there are other people on here who just do that. Cestevens is one I can think of though she sometimes also sings.

DJ Shadow is/was famous for doing it.

So is Brazlian musician Amon Tobin.

I do nearly the opposite in using almost no loops but playing or programming everything.

I also wonder if anyone works quite as I do but it's not easy to describe. It's a lot of careful editing of long takes on jams around 8 or 16 bars loops that I then form into tracks with intricate changes and fills and stuff. Don't plan the track out - it just keeps progressing as I build up more stuff.

I'll probably never know unless someone takes me through their DAW project in great detail.

3. 1121110
    traz75 : Sun 4th May 2014 : 8 years ago

No, you are not alone. E.g. just look at me. :)
    I'm relative new here but i bet this site is full of people who uses just loops i think - just a LOT of them are too lazy to post their works or even a single "thank you" post to the makers of the used loops...

I think it's no matters what other people says, what matter is what you think about yourself.

4. 224104
    Mosaic : Sun 4th May 2014 : 8 years ago

@Evanstrey

Good read mate, your not alone, I solely only use loops/samples for all of my tunes, which is the trance genre mainly, mainly because I can not play anything at all...Being an old fart prob too old to learn anything now anyways....

If loops correctly used you can make some good listening piece's with them alone, and to the normal everyday listener they would not even know any different, often I have comments/reviews on my profile, saying they can not believe I only use loops and create great tracks like I do, without playing anything at all...If you have the ear and feel for what you want to do with the loops, you can achieve great results...

Following from what StaticNomad said about the artist he named...Best of my knowledge the famous artist used to use loops/samples in some of his works too, though didn't just use loops, combined them with live play in studio etc...

Peace
    Mosaic

5. 224104
    Mosaic : Sun 4th May 2014 : 8 years ago

sorry guys missed out putting in the artist I was referring too...

Moby

One brilliant artist...

Mosaic

6. 666289
    FreeRadical : Sun 4th May 2014 : 8 years ago

I would answer that but i'm busting for a p*ss.

7. 691199
    Modnex : Sun 4th May 2014 : 8 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with using loops even though I never used any. It's your music, if you think you can do a better job at using loops than writing your own material, then use those loops. If you want more experience and would like to take a shot at making your own sounds, then go for it. At the end of the day the only opinion that matters is yours. Don't stop doing what you love because some people won't agree with the way you do it. Just continue to do it and never let anyone tell you otherwise!

8. 220346
    Peres : Sun 4th May 2014 : 8 years ago

I only use some drum loops and maybe some effects but everything else is vsts. I started out using loops but eventually started playing the keyboard by ear.But it's all good do what you do,as your young I would try to learn some theory. Peace

9. 1205128
    LivingInSilence : Mon 5th May 2014 : 8 years ago

I've never used another persons loop in any of my music, and because of this I get an immense satisfaction when I create something that I feel is "good" because it's 100% me.

However, there is nothing wrong with how you make music and that's why people like me make loops in the first place. In fact, there are plenty of bands who make loops and then pay a DJ or whatever to mix all those loops together for them. And there are even people who make a living off mixing royalty-free loops!

Honestly, it annoys me a little when people make songs entirely of loops without even so much as chopping them up or adding to/editing them in any way and then claim to be "musicians", but it's become a sort of "norm" now so whether you feel bad about it or not really just depends on how you view music.

Posts 1 - 9 of 9

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.