MIDI Uploads Tabs

Posts 1 - 25 of 46
  1. 963953
    Peliman44 : Thu 3rd Apr 2014 : 8 years ago

So...all the time I hear a melody or something that I really love, but then I'd prefer in a different synth sound I have, or I'd change a few notes, or whatever. But...unfortunately, I can't use it since it's just a solid audio loop. I try to generally stay away from using loops as my main part of a track - just for originality reasons (though that wasn't true in the past).
    So basically I'm wondering if it would be possible to have a tab for people to upload MIDI files, like the Loops & Samples and Acapellas tabs. I don't know whether or not it's possible - I don't write script (for web-design, at least), but if it is, I personally think this'd be really cool...

2. 782612
    40A : Fri 4th Apr 2014 : 8 years ago

supported 1000%

3. 998072
    InverSound : Fri 4th Apr 2014 : 8 years ago

A. you can reproduce the melody by listening to it and learning it like you would any other song you want to learn

B. (if you're ultra-lazy) you can hit the "convert melody to midi" button in your daw

4. 963953
    Peliman44 : Fri 4th Apr 2014 : 8 years ago

Inver: Actually...not always. Some melodies are harder than you'd think to actually recreate the same way. And the conversion button rarely works right.

5. 63133
    RogueAi : Fri 4th Apr 2014 : 8 years ago

I asked about this 7 years ago. Still hasn't happened. I don't use loops or midi files made by others though.

6. 268784
    3n0 : Fri 4th Apr 2014 : 8 years ago

This idea was posted many times and nothing.

If i remember correctly Looperman wanted midi player and that was the reason it didnt happen...

7. 665781
    Soap : Fri 4th Apr 2014 : 8 years ago

You can use melodyne dna (direct note access ) to change notes within a loop... Works even on polyphonic material... Melodyne is a must-have... Www.celemonysoftware.com

8. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Fri 4th Apr 2014 : 8 years ago

Soap said it! I use melodyne for that purpose. I heard Newtone is another that does the same thing. Melodyne has its limits though. Distorted guitar just makes a mess, the notes need to be clear and clean.

9. 1
    Looperman : Fri 4th Apr 2014 : 8 years ago

its not a no its more a case of i cant see how this would work well as you need a player that can replicate the sound the midi is making.

If and when we come up with a great way to make it work it would make a good addition. until then its on the backburner

10. 63133
    RogueAi : Fri 4th Apr 2014 : 8 years ago

How about instead of making midi a separate thing, make it an optional upload to go with audio based loops. The audio will be the preview.

11. 1095400
    AnalogDisc : Fri 4th Apr 2014 : 8 years ago

RogueAi!

This is a great idea. Full support by me!

12. 963953
    Peliman44 : Sat 5th Apr 2014 : 8 years ago

Oh ok. I understand now...but what about RogueAi's idea? Would that be a possibility?

13. 951439
    Evisma : Thu 20th Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

"its not a no its more a case of i cant see how this would work well as you need a player that can replicate the sound the midi is making. If and when we come up with a great way to make it work it would make a good addition."

"How about instead of making midi a separate thing, make it an optional upload to go with audio based loops. The audio will be the preview."

Seven months after a solution is offered on such a great idea, I figured this would have gotten more attention.

When uploading a midi file, also upload a wav for the reference,... or would all of this be taking up too much space on the site?

I think it's a great idea, and my simple-mind can't see a problem with it.

14. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Thu 20th Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

why not upload the midi file to a site like mediafire and leave a link in the loop description.

15. 782612
    40A : Thu 20th Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

midifiles use like 1kb of space. you could upload thousands of midis for every 1 wav upload (4,000+kb)

so it's rly just a matter of adding a midiupload button tbh. who cares if people don't have the instruments they hear in the wav, that's literally the exact opposite of a MIDIs purpose. It's there so if anyone likes the melody enough they can do whatever they want with it. wtf@midiplayer

16. 782612
    40A : Thu 20th Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

"i cant see how this would work well as you need a player that can replicate the sound the midi is making"

http://www.jidul.com/wp/tools/midi-player-applet/?lang=en

I don't know much about science, but this looks pretty scientific to me.

17. 963953
    Peliman44 : Fri 21st Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

uploading to mediafire wouldn't work all that well because first of all you'd have to leave Looperman to get the MIDI and upload it to mediafire and it's just a lot of unneeded steps.
    But yeah I still agree with the suggestion from...wow, 7 months ago? Just upload it as a regular loop, and add an optional button to upload the MIDI along with the wav so people can download either one.

18. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Fri 21st Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

My two cents (if their worth even that much)...I've listened to transposed midi files and then exported them into my own Vst instruments just to see what they sound like,invariably they are lifeless dead skins of lost melodies,I'd never use them in a fit....now I'm not saying other people wouldn't or shouldn't as post production in the hands of an experienced midi manipulator can pretty much do anything(or so I'm led to believe) .....which segues into this,why would you bother if you got the skills to manipulate beats,melodies etc,why wouldn't you just make your own?..to me it just seems like plagiarism at it's worst or laziness at it's best.

19. 951439
    Evisma : Fri 21st Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

@PJB

"why wouldn't you just make your own?..to me it just seems like plagiarism at it's worst or laziness at it's best."

For melodies and leads, I would agree with the laziness/plagiarism.

I'd really just like it for drum patterns. I've found a lot of drum loops on this site that I would love to change one single hit out of the 4 measures. Alividlife has some awesome drum loops, but the over-riding cymbals just make a lot of them unusable in most cases.

Also, if I use your loops in the first part of a track, then ferryterry's in the second, the drum sets and rooms sound totally different and very noticeable. MIDI would cater to continuity.

"invariably they are lifeless dead skins of lost melodies"

I would think that there would need to be some settings info added in the description. Attack, Sustain, etc, that would help one get close to the sound of the sample wav. Without it, the files would never sound like they were intended. But again, I wouldn't want it for that, just drums and percussion.

20. 963953

Also tagging on to Evisma's comment:

Yeah I mainly would like to use it for drum loops, especially since I can never use a drum loop in a track because it makes sidechaining and EQing and all the other mastering stuff near to impossible (for me at least - I don't know if there's a way around that) so I'd like to copy the pattern but use my own samples and effects, etc.

Once in a while I'll hear a MIDI melody I like and want to use it, but I don't just copy it raw and use it, I'll use it as a building block to create my own from it. But again that's still pretty rare.

21. 963953

Oh and also @PJB and @Evisma:

It isn't plagiarism if it's being given out for free. If the MIDI is being given out as a free-use-do-whatever-you-want-with-it, you can use it in commercial works and not be plagiarizing. They're giving you permission to use it as your own.

22. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Fri 21st Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

@Peliman...at the risk of being pedantic Plagiarism is taking another's work as your own..and in this case I was alluding to that ephemeral thing called artistic licence,not the fact that it would be actually royalty free....it's no big deal it will probably never happen.

23. 1107806
    15ludwicke : Fri 21st Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

I really think that the optional midi download with audio loops is the best idea I've seen for this site. I completely support this 100000%. Make it happen Looperman!

24. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 21st Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

To me, uploading a MIDI file as an option along side an audio wave would just be silly. MIDI has nothing to do with sound, and does not create sound. It would be totally dependent upon what you are controlling with the MIDI data. And in the case of drums, aside from standard modern hardware drum machines, what drum is played on what key is totally variable between different sound sources. So say I control Drumazon with a MIDI file intended as a drum beat, then put that same MIDI on a Drumaxx or Battery channel... the kick drum (for example) could end up playing a snare or a tom or high hat or whatever. I'm sure the MIDI creators would be getting a ton of complaints like "this doesn't sound anything like the audio you uploaded!" Just my feelings. It would also discourage people from learning to compose for themselves.

25. 951439
    Evisma : Fri 21st Nov 2014 : 7 years ago

"what drum is played on what key is totally variable between different sound sources."

I was under the impression,(wrongly, probably) that there was a general form that drum midi was set up.

I was given a lot of midi drum files from a member here who used them in Reason and Cubase, I think, and they worked in my sampler in Studio One2 beautifully.

There were a few that had a ride where a splash should be and whatnot, but that was easily altered.

" It would also discourage people from learning to compose for themselves."

I can't help but agree with you. My problem is when I start writing a drum pattern from scratch, there are three variable versions that I always wind up doing, like those three patterns are all my brain is capable of doing. I'll spend some time getting a drum line down, then realize that I've used the same line 40 times in other tracks.

The different MIDI patterns help me in that way. Like I said, I don't want to use them for instruments, besides drums and percussion.

I've found lots of VERY neat tribal drum-circle type files, but they had two hits in there that bugged the hell out of me.

I had one that had two tiny triangle hits at the end of the loop,... ruined it. That triangle was all I could hear, no matter how much I EQ'd and buried it. DING!DING!DING!DING!!!!

Posts 1 - 25 of 46

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.