Looking For Best Free Music Software For Older PC

Posts 1 - 15 of 15
  1. 1118799
    Stevejaz : Fri 31st Jan 2014 : 8 years ago

Hello Folks.
    I am looking for the best free music software to run on older PCs.
    I am volunteering at the psychiatric ward of my local hospital and want to get patients involved in music production as a hobby. There are donated older PCs and no internet connection. I can transfer files via flash drive., both programs and downloaded samples, loops and acapellas from sites such as this, with olso the hope of uploading loops and tracks.
    I am looking for something easy to learn with a clear GUI and hopefully an included help file.
    The main requirement would be an easy to learn and use draw mode for note entry, where people could then plat around with filters etc to generate music without much knowledge of theory or even experience in computers.
    The best I have found so far is MuLab; ( but it does not seem to have an off line help file)
    Any other suggestions please?

2. 782612
    40A : Fri 31st Jan 2014 : 8 years ago

http://www.ohmstudio.com/

The patients can collaborate with each other with this DAW program in (booming echo begins) -REALLLLLL TIIIIMMMMEE- (booming echo ends)

...i hear it's a /thing/.

But it's free, and it would definitely add more social participation between them. I'm sure they're dying to socialize some more after spending hours on end meandering, lurking and pacing the dimly lit, pastel peach colored halls.

The decorative floral lining as it mesmerizes all who dare gaze upon it's spellbinding visage. THE BADLY AGED HEARTS&KISSES; WALLPAPER THAT'S BEEN PEELING AWAY FROM THE CEILING AS IF IT WERE MOCKING THE FRAGILITY OF THE HUMAN PSYCHE.

THE WHITE, SPECKLED, CAFETERIA FLOOR GNAWING AWAY AT THE SOFT SOLES OF YOUR FLESHY FEET WITH IT'S REMORSELESS SUB-ZERO TEETH........

/wet

3. 672953
    Ozzz : Fri 31st Jan 2014 : 8 years ago

Congrats Stevie, I applaud contributors like yourself..

There's three that are apparantly excellent and are free;

Podium Free http://zynewave.com/podium-free/

Mulab Free http://www.mutools.com/mulab-downloads.html

Samplitude Silver http://pro.magix.com/en/samplitude/miditech-english.730.html

4. 1095400
    AnalogDisc : Fri 31st Jan 2014 : 8 years ago

magix music maker, but i don`t know what in the demo restricted and what isn`t. it`s a simple software, but like Ozzi said samplitude is a better choice in this case, but if I know well samplitude got 8 channels only, but this only maybe disturbs me nobody else!

Have fun making music! Cheers! :)

5. 1118799

Thanks guys.
    Actually it's quite a nice place 40A and a tribute to the health care system in this country. The OT actually works at another hospital too and most patients are shot term. The goal is to get those who are interested doing something in as short a time as possible and hopefully find some space in a community centre or similar, in which case I can bring along my PA, so yes OhmSudio sounds good on that score.
    The main aim is to give patients incentive to stay on their medications, by fostering a sense of purpose and motivation to keep well.

6. 1
    Looperman : Fri 31st Jan 2014 : 8 years ago

You might be lucky if you try and contact a few companies and tell them your story and give them some proof of what you are doing.

There would be a good chance of them either letting you have something for free or cheaper.

It does not harm to ask.

7. 602494
    Nightfallproducer : Fri 31st Jan 2014 : 8 years ago

I agree with looperman, the local companies in your area might be interested in helping out so visit your local music shops and ask, when I purchased the software for the young people I work with we got 70% off Reason and they gave us 2 usb keyboards for free!!!!!!

So give it a try!!!!!

8. 1

i meant contact the software makers direct.

as long as you can prove what you want it for im sure they will help out

9. 1118799

I will certainly keep your suggestion in mind Looperman but I will wait to see just how things settle first. I think with a few referrals from the hospital(s) and maybe the local council or whoever can supply a venue, it may be worth contacting not only the software companies, but maybe the importers of hardware. A few basics like midi keyboards, headphones and dare I say sound cards would be a great boost. Your suggestion is also taken on board Nightfall Producer.
    The first session is not till Friday next week so I have time to resurrect a couple of old laptops that I have and a couple of desktops that have been donated, install the software and learn to use it myself.

10. 1

you should also put a notice on your local freecycle if they have that where you are from as there are always people building and repairing computers for others

11. 602494
    Nightfallproducer : Fri 31st Jan 2014 : 8 years ago

Another option with you mentioning council is ask the noise complaint department to see if they have anything no-one has claimed, again I got 7 pc's, 4 huge boxes of vinyl's, 7 boxes of Various cd's, 2 TV's, 4 amps and a guitar and amp. some of the equipment was damaged but I managed 4 good pc's and the TV's had no remotes but hey I couldn't complain.

Ps I worked for council so it helped me get in, but im sure they are up for donating this stuff rather than just throwing it away.

12. 476063
    2ndMOUSE : Fri 12th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Cockos reaper.

They called it reaper because it slays the competition.
    Its free ( although you can buy licences for it )

It does everything you need.

Its completely customizeable.

It has a comprehensive help system.

Its so small you can run it off a usb stick.

I can't believe no-one mentioned it.

13. 476063
    2ndMOUSE : Fri 12th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Tracktion and Studio One are another two options, but not as good as Reaper.

14. 1245534
    VirginiaSlimm : Mon 15th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Reaper all day. The only simple interface daw with a pro feature set that isn't bloated and sparkly. I'ts not a fantastic midi vsti host imo, but workable.

15. 1173131
    itsXseven : Mon 15th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

I've been using Mixcraft since roughly 2006 - the days of Windows XP. Not sure if the trick I used back in the day will still work, but it's free to download. You get 100% functionality for a trial period of 30 days or so. To avoid it actually expiring and restricting me from compiling the song, I would uninstall, then reinstall. This would reset the trial. If that didn't work, making a new administrator account on the computer would.

However, the license for the program is roughly $100. I'm sure if you described what you're doing for the benefit of others they may give you a discount. Providing you can validate your claims.

As well, they offer payment plans as well. So maybe you could 50/50 funding arrangement with the psychiatric ward of the hospital.

Posts 1 - 15 of 15

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.