Tascam Other Affordable Stuff And General Ignorance From Me

Posts 1 - 8 of 8
  1. 600461
    visionarysoundsystem : Fri 27th Dec 2013 : 5 years ago

Watching this thread really closely (https://www.looperman.com/forum/thread/180280/how-do-i-connect-electric-guitar-to-laptop) as I too need advice on recording guitar & bass (and midi lol) more clearly then I can at present. Just about to update me PC to much more processing power, better sound card and all that happy stuff, but I am still unsure about audio interfaces. At the present I go straight in to the PC with variable results that often take ages to put right. I would wish advice & tips on the following questions please. I am now on a quite strict budget so I am very intrested in posters suggestions of the Tascam equipment (thanx to PJB & Tumbleweed for giving the heads up on it). I am looking at getting a MK144. So here goes me queries for guitar, bass & midi recording.
    1/ Will I be able to record via my amp (setting it with effects etc I want) or will I have to go staright into the PC then use any DAW software?
    2/ Will it work for guitar, midi & bass? At present I use Magix, Audacity, FL11 and am trying to conquer Ableton & Reaper.
    3/ What file formats will save to allow me to work in different DAWS?
    4/ Is it worth spending a little more to get a slightly better version?
    5/ Are there any other AI that are similar price but knock spots off Tascam?
    6/ Will I be able to record then play back & overdub using the AI? This is important as it will only be be me recording one insrument at a time but because of this playback & overdub are vital.
    7/ Is it fairly easy to learn & use? Yup I can be a bit new gadget phobic from time to time.
    Now many of you peeps are so much more in the know so any advice & help & tips would be greatly appreciated before I go and spend me hard earned readies (whats left of it lol) on a piece of kit that may not be of much use to me. Thanx in advance.
    Peace, Love, Justice & Respect.
    Vis . . . .

2. 498019
    Tumbleweed : Sat 28th Dec 2013 : 5 years ago

Hi Vis...I just wrote a kind of long answer to this but it disapppeared when I hit post........anyway...Dont sweat it...as long as you get one with the inputs/outputs you need they all work just fine & will be a major improvement over the way you are doing it now....
    I think the MK144 is a fairly old model (around 2007) so I would be concerned about it having drivers that would work with newer pc operating systems......
    To avoid a too long answer again...my suggestion...go for whatever make is within your budget new or used..and look for 2 mic or mic/line combo inputs (in case you want to record with 2 mics in stereo etc) when you stick them in front of your amp or any acoustic noise making stuff....or if not combo inputs you would need 2 mic & 2 line (ie: 1/4" guitar type) plus a midi input if you have a hardware synth you want to use as a controller as well as getting the audio in.... (if you use controller keyboard(s) they just plug into your pc with USB)....Your monitors and/or headphones just plug into the interface.......
    Everyone will tell you their fav ..but I have found all the major brands work just fine (been using various since day 1)....MAudio, Focusrite, Roland, Presonus, etc etc.....
    Vis..why dont you check around localy or online & contact me if you see something of interest..I will send my email address & get back to you with any help I can give....Ed

3. 498019
    Tumbleweed : Sat 28th Dec 2013 : 5 years ago

Here`s 3 that will do everything you describe...
    Tascam iU2...
    MAudio Fast Track c400....
    Presonus Audiobox usb...

4. 951439
    Evisma : Sat 28th Dec 2013 : 5 years ago

The Presonus Audiobox 22vsl is almost the same, but has higher quality inputs for another 50 bucks.

5. 916355
    DallaRiOfficial : Mon 30th Dec 2013 : 5 years ago

I used the Focusrite scarlet 2i4. Works like a dream, and was around 180 for me. But theres a cheaper model, the 2i2, that does the exact same thing but it does not have MIDI in and out, i highly recommend checking it out.

6. 600461
    visionarysoundsystem : Mon 30th Dec 2013 : 5 years ago

Thanx for all your help on this peeps.
    Ed much appreciated mate. I still leaning towards the Tascam, from what I can see there are drivers available for Windows 7 but thanx as well Dalla as I am looking at Focusrite as well. Decision for the new year me thinks. Unforunately the upgrade on the PC ate most of my budget so I have got to shop prudently lol.
    Happy New Year to EVERYONE. Enjoy & I hope 2014 is peaceful & productive for Y'all.
    Vis . . . .

7. 585633
    topvega : Tue 31st Dec 2013 : 5 years ago

10 more bucks gets you a Presonus and I can say from experience they are quality build. That Tascam looks really Plastic. I love my Presonus.

tv

8. 998072
    InverSound : Tue 31st Dec 2013 : 5 years ago

I've been using a tascam for a while, it's built like a rock. Doesn't have any bells or whistles but ZERO latency is what it gives you. Only problems I've had are with drivers, it's a real bitch to figure out the proper drivers and DAW settings, might take a few weeks to get it going properly.

Posts 1 - 8 of 8

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads