How Can I Combine Different Parts Of Various FL Studio Projects

Posts 1 - 16 of 16
  1. 265632
    WeazelBeats : Sat 9th Nov 2013 : 8 years ago

Hey there fellow Loopers!
    Hope you are having a great day.

I am working on a new track in FL Studio at the moment. And with this track I was really experimenting ALOT on what I wanted to do with it.
    As a result of this I now have various FL Studio project files with different takes and ideas on/for the track. Now that I finally made a decision and know I want my track to be, I came to the conclusion that I need various bits and pieces from all the different project files. So I wanted to take a synthline from project file number one, maybe some rythm/drum sections from project file two and I thought some effects on project file number three were really dope etc. etc. etc.

Now I wanted to ask you nice 'colleagues' of mine:
    What do you think is the best/most efficient way to combine all these ideas into one FL Project File?? (.flp)

Should I resample everything? Make wave files of it all?
    Should I try to recreate/clone all those ideas into one project?
    Maybe you have a better solution?

I'd love to hear what you all think!

Thanks in advance!

-Weazel

2. 787368
    DJNeonator : Sat 9th Nov 2013 : 8 years ago

same :/

3. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sat 9th Nov 2013 : 8 years ago

You should be able to cut and past things that are in the pattern editor. If you have a chain of effects you want saved I think you can save it in the mixer track and reopen it in the other project. Making waves of everything is an option, but then you can change much.

4. 265632
    WeazelBeats : Sat 9th Nov 2013 : 8 years ago

I checked. Unfortunately, copying and pasting data (midi) from one project to another is not possible.
    I've alraedy decided how I'm gonna do it. It's gonna take some time but that's inevitable, and it will be worth it!!

Thanks anyway Spiv! :)

5. 992915
    PHZDDD : Sat 9th Nov 2013 : 8 years ago

Save the midi loops for the projects using a midi out channel (you should be able save all you're midi channels in one go) then load them into the projects you want (with the ability to choose each seperate track) and you can also save each channel's effects chain

6. 831304
    DubTek : Sat 9th Nov 2013 : 8 years ago

just drag the project files you want to merge into the sequencer

7. 186161

From the piano roll you can save score as midi, I'm sure of that.

8. 831304
    DubTek : Sat 9th Nov 2013 : 8 years ago

have a look at http://imgur.com/vGd3UfH

so i have a project open called Dubstep1. i have lovated a track called unicornhouse in my browser, opened the project and hey presto there are all hte midi tracks and audio tracks. you can just drag and drop from there

9. 186161

Now that you mention it I think I ran into the problem of cutting and pasting between projects recently... just been too stoned to remember it.

10. 1245534
    VirginiaSlimm : Wed 17th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Pain in the ass! I was sure there was a merge function poorly documented waiting to be right clicked. OMG! Fail! Hoping image line will add this VERY BASIC FEATURE. -Or that someone writes a direct file editor script to combine two project files. It seems like it should* be pretty simple, especially since you can run multiple instances. Guh! (update: opened flp project in text editor, not simple format)
    Exporting samples, midi score, vst presets, synching... -This is like a linear analog synth host! Luckily Imageline does nearly everything else pretty well. I feel your pain Weazelbeats. Directly. :/

11. 1245534
    VirginiaSlimm : Wed 17th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Old thread Update my problem in 2 years old post.
    There is an option with left panel file manager for drag and drop from other project sources. I had to save all the presets in the fx chains on the old project and rebuild those chains in the new project. it's doable, but still... not elegant or standardized at all.
    It should be a button on the file menu that says "merge", and then it could add the 2nd project with new channels. This is an item by item non automated import feature. If I was using big ensembles of synths it would have been a massive task to keep midi editability and retain automation work. I spent about an hour and a half on it searching and rebuilding. Didn't lose that much automation, one softsynth reset it's root key info too, no big deal.
    It was kind of a complicated import for me, so I'll gladly explain in detail for someone else in this situation if that helps.
    :D

12. 1392969
    Zergmazter : Wed 17th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Omg I had been trying to do this! My problem was that I could not copy and paste anything, because I was trying to move over automation channels that I manually had edited and painted onto a track slot to control modulation, volume, etc. I'm still trying to figure it out.

My projects always grow too big for the 32 bit program and I have to start a new project just for the guitars, and just for the strings which by themselves take up to 3.5 Gigs of ram. I would then render the file as wave to then pass it over to the original project without killing my memory, but I wanted to have control over the automation, and I had no idea how to copy and paste the automation for the sound files.

I should have probably began using the 64 bit version, but I wasn't gonna risk having issues loading half done projects. I think I'm gonna move over to 64 bit soon.

13. 1397157
    blekmeh : Thu 18th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

You can also export everything like Mixer states, MIDI files, loops, etc and import them in a new project. Or you could delete everything you don't want to use and save it as a new project using CTRL+N.

14. 186161
    Spivkurl : Thu 18th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

There is no reason to not use MIDI and audio clips to transport information to a different project. This is nothing like an "linear analog synth host" because no such thing exists. Analog synths are either patchable or dependent upon the session (sometimes with a single space memory for the default setup). MIDI and audio in the digital sense are SO MUCH easier than anything that came before.

There is always the option of learning how to play the parts of your song, so that you can reproduce them at any moment on any related instrument.

15. 1245534
    VirginiaSlimm : Fri 19th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Hey Blekmeh,
    CNTRL+N I think saves a new version and duplicates resources, which is very handy but I was not able to combine two existing project files with it.
    Previously to combine project elements I did as you describe, export midi scores, fx chains, then rebuild/import in target track. Left hand panel drag and drop makes some of these tasks much easier. I think my biggest complaint is the non-undoable actions in FL. I also feel strongly that a basic merge file function is needed, because then i could just delete any imported parts i didn't need after doing a bulk merge and not fooling around with libraries. As I explore left hand panel of FL I realize there is something like a library there, but I find it not convenient at all. probably just bc of my workflow habits honestly.

Hey Spivkurl,
    As for linear analog synth host, what I meant was the inability to cut and paste between projects(maybe I'm doing it wrong), unlimited undo of all actions, file functions etc. I think FL suffers mostly in this department, and it seems needlessly bc as you very correctly stated "MIDI and audio in the digital sense are SO MUCH easier than anything that came before". I think I say that about a hundred times per day. I haven't heard a midi ghost for like ten years now. \m/
    Before VSTis were prolific I never used hardware synths except for direct tracking of audio bc midi protocol with hardware can be so volatile and buggy.
    As for your final advice, I do in fact play all of the parts of my songs. I don't have to learn them because I wrote them and know them. They plague me in my sleep at this point, but I'm not primarily a synth player, it's not really my thing. If I play live I play guitar or bass and sing, so learning the synth parts is the synth player's job! If I want to edit and recombine after recording, that's my DAW's job! :D

I really appreciate the help with this.
    I'm still looking for an external filehandler script somewhere. I bet some smart generous person somewhere has written one. Hoping.
    -Slimm

16. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 19th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

One big hurdle to combining projects would be the project data folder, which is almost necessary to set before you begin recording any more. If the two projects had different data folders, I would think it would be hard for FL to know which to use.

Posts 1 - 16 of 16

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.