See our Outer Space RE-201 emulator By AudioThing Review

Should I Keep At This

Posts 1 - 10 of 10
  1. 992915
    PHZDDD : Thu 10th Oct 2013 : 7 years ago

Hey guys,

Just a quick question about a genre a started producing, "Complextro"
    Now first of all I don't actually listen to the genre, I prefer DnB however I do enjoy producing it but have no earthly idea if my productions would be considered "good". Here is the track I am working on:

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/148492

Thanks for taking the time again XD!!

2. 403648
    SintheticRecords : Thu 10th Oct 2013 : 7 years ago

Track sounds great. Synths sound a little mono which doesnt sound "right" to me, but then I dont produce this genre.

I have a question though.
    What is "Comlextro"?
    What stylistic features does it have that makes it differ from dubstep or house?

I say this because this track just sounds like a house song with dubstep elements and I wonder why you would bother giving it an obscure sub genre.

3. 992915
    PHZDDD : Thu 10th Oct 2013 : 7 years ago

You basically answered yourself lol, complextro is basically an electro house, dubstep cross over.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try spreading the synths out and pan them xD

4. 403648
    SintheticRecords : Thu 10th Oct 2013 : 7 years ago

Oh okay.

Just seems a little redundant to give it a subgenre when its just house really.

Other thing I would say is turn the cymbals up a little over the first 16 bars after the drop. But only a little.
    Does sound really good though man, keep it up!

5. 208341
    drmistersir : Thu 10th Oct 2013 : 7 years ago

genres are for suckas
    make music you like
    skip the labeling - particularly when its a label for the sake of labeling

6. 682656
    Decnet : Fri 11th Oct 2013 : 7 years ago

Have to agree with drmistersir on this one.. It was easier back in the days when people reffered to music as techno, industrial, dub, or jazz even.. Today we have a billion subgenres that no-one is able to point out exactly what genre it is due to the fact it takes one single note to go from one genre to another.. Its just effin stupid in my opinion.. Complextro? Never heard of it, but on the other hand, have you ever heard of Hardcore Hoomii? Prolly not, and you wouldnt be able to recognize it unless you start to ask a billion people about it, and my guess is that youd get a billion different answers.. Anyhooo.. ´nuf ranting.. sounds good, and wouldnt personally change a thing.. Just because Sinthetic says otherwise or wants to include cymbals doesnt make it "the right choice".. Ah, feck.. no more whiskey for me tonight.. lol.. ///Dec

7. 832334
    the47 : Fri 11th Oct 2013 : 7 years ago

I just love how dubstep continues to invent "new" genres just to stay hip :)
    complextro? wtf? nothing complex about house and dubstep lol
    but yeah, your demo sounds real nice. i would recommend you
    stick to the electronic genre, but skip the macro labeling :)
    btw, you def should use some stereo enhancers on those synths, they are a bit thin
    keep up the good work!

8. 438673
    DJSchmeeJ : Fri 11th Oct 2013 : 7 years ago

Labels are for clothes...

9. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 11th Oct 2013 : 7 years ago

I dig it! Personally I've come to expect new genres because people are making music in new ways, it makes sense. One thing that sets apart complextro from dubstep is that it more often uses full time beats. Be careful when using stereo enhancers, as it can very strongly effect tone too. I'm very fond of mono basses.

10. 890922
    kjason : Fri 11th Oct 2013 : 7 years ago

I like your track a lot.. I think your doing good with this! I would try using some kind of StudioVerb (A hall reverb effect or something) on the intro only and the last 2-3 seconds of it. Its a little too dry on the intro, but that's just IMO. Besides that, really cool track keep it coming! (:

On Soundcloud I started using the main genre tag 'Multigenre Synth' after making a track that I had 3 or 4 different EDM drumstyles in--I couldn't fit it all in the main tag so I just did that instead and it works :)

Posts 1 - 10 of 10

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums