FL Studio Or Ableton Live

Posts 1 - 25 of 28
  1. 992915
    PHZDDD : Tue 27th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

Hello fellow loopers,
    Just a post to ask some advice about which DAW to use. Iv used FLStudio for the past few years and find it super effective for what I do but I know all the big producers use Ableton Live. I have 3 main questions:
    1. Is there a big difference in what can be achieved or is that simply down to the producer?
    2. How easy/hard would the transition? And.
    3. Would it be worth the effort?
    Anyone with advice please help out it would be a great help!!

2. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Tue 27th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

Do you wanna change DAW's only because "all the big producers" use something else or you look for the change because you feel the need to do so?

As for your questions:

1. There are differences between FL Studio and Ableton and from a non biased point of view I'd say Ableton would have advantages over FL Studio from a workflow point of view. It is mostly down to the producer however but some things are easier in Ableton.

2+3 It's up to you to find that out and decide if it's worth the transition.

3. 992915
    PHZDDD : Tue 27th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

No I never meant it like "the big boys do that so I want to" lol, I'm looking at my options and if Ableton can do more and work better for me then I'll have a serious think about changing DAW, I know its good for playing live but then FL 11 has added alot for playing live.

4. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Tue 27th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

I think the thing here Dave is to try the demo version of Ableton and see how it works for you rather than get biased advice from either DAW camp ..I'm a died in the wool Ableton user and could easily start a rant about how Ableton is the best,but in reality if you got ten different producers of the same ability with ten different DAWs and listened to their music you couldn't tell which DAW was used.

5. 965188
    StrawHatDJ : Wed 28th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

Unless there is something specific or unique that you can or cannot do in one DAW that the other DAW can or cannot, stick to what you know and feels right for you.

I see the DAW's mergeing and becoming one. In a sense that they all copy each other eventually.

Stick with FLStudio, if you got 11 go with that, also try out Ableton for a few months.

6. 744903
    JeffBock : Wed 28th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

Hi David,

i used cubase, acid and for a few time fruity with rebirth (all old versions in the 90's), but my favorite is live since 7 years because it was the first daw where audio and midi work simply and well together and with a good controler, live is perfect for playing live (that's why you can see so many producer's performances on stage with live).

7. 817298
    Enzotic : Wed 28th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

I personally think the DAW you use only effects how you go about in making your music.

8. 490439
    ZeeHipHop : Wed 28th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

Personally, I've never used to Ableton so I won't comment on that. But I am a FL user and have been since Fruity 3. I tried some other DAWs along the way and the biggest issue is the learning curve. Maybe the software is more powerful of geared to what you need but that may be irrelevant if you can't use it as well as FL. What I mean is, it takes time (a whole of time) to get comfortable with a DAW. For instance I have Cubase and ProTools (both came bundled with my audio interfaces) and because I can't work with them as quickly or effectively, I still use FL.

So I would also suggest downloading the demo and tinkering with it. A lot. See if you can get comfortable with it. I just don't have the time to rediscover another DAW (FL is still "showing me flames" as they say) since I do music as a hobby. But if you do have the time, go for it. Also, make sure all your equip is compatible i.e. so you don't mess up your current set-up or discover you need some other piece of gear to get everything working.

Good luck
    Zee

9. 992915
    PHZDDD : Wed 28th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

Ok thanks everyone, I think I'll have to take the trial and see how it goes but in my experience just as I start to understand the program and get used to everything the trial is over! But I will see how it goes, I'll probably end up sticking with FL cause like Zee says I'm comfortable with it and it has taking me a good hand full of years to learn what I know.
    Thanks for the help everyone!!

10. 924540
    R01D : Thu 29th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

This thread got me interested enough in Ableton to spend a day learning the work space and flow, and after 3+ years of FL, I think I'm going to make the switch.

Now that I am starting to understand the work space more and more, I am starting to really appreciate the workflow of the program. IMO, it allows the user to lay down his/her ideas very quickly, while automatically laying it out in a basic arrangement; then the user can focus on the arrangement.

Its syncs up with controllers and hardware VERY nicely, compared to FL.

I have not tried recording audio yet. From the looks of it, I would be better off recording and editing in FL studio.

Ableton 9 vs FL (from what I have experienced)

PROS of Ableton:
    Syncs with hardware nicely
    Lay down ideas faster
    A little more self-organized (mixing and arranging)
    Better processors/effects included with software
    Better shortcuts

CONS of Ableton:
    Does not support multiple computer monitors
    Probably difficult to record audio with
    Less editing tools
    No sequencer

Overall, I like Ableton more than FL so far, but will still use FL for various situations where Ableton is lacking. FL gave me everything I needed, but Ableton has a better work flow for me, and that is a huge game changer when it comes to DAWs.

11. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Thu 29th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

R01D no offence mate,but after one day of checking out Ableton I wouldn't be too quick in posting a pros and cons assessment especially when you haven't even tried recording audio,which is my main personal area of focus......it's a superb DAW equipped with excellent production tools,midi specs,plugins,instruments etc etc and easily the best in my opinion (damn I said I wouldn't start a rant! lol),the only thing it won't do is multiple monitor support between session view and arrangement view,no big issue there....however it always boils down to personal preference s,a good musician will sound good on any DAW.

12. 95108
    TheseMetalDays : Thu 29th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

I've used FL Studio for years. It's quite easy to learn. And one of the main reason is that DAW is upgradable for free once you have purhased it.

13. 186161
    Spivkurl : Thu 29th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

There is a sequencer in Ableton from what I recall. Correct me if I'm wrong!

14. 744903
    JeffBock : Thu 29th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

I agree with PlanetJazzbass and Spivkurl.
    R01D wrote:

"CONS of Ableton:
    Does not support multiple computer monitors
    Probably difficult to record audio with
    Less editing tools
    No sequencer"

So you can drop GUI's of your vst's and vsti's on a second monitor.
    No problem at all for audio records.
    Useful editing for midi and audio.
    Live is an audio/midi sequencer.

I use live 7. The only limit for the number of Tracks, inserts, auxiliarys, audio and virtual instruments you can use in the same time is your computer. Since the V9 you can create your own instruments (patch live) like NI reaktor.

15. 186161
    Spivkurl : Thu 29th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

Personally I like the piano roll on FL studio, and also the mixer with it's simple routing possibilities. Edison is a pretty cool audio editor, and makes recording external audio very easy.

16. 665781
    Soap : Thu 29th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

I tried one of the first versions of Fruity Loops, back in the 90s, when it was a PC shareware. I remember FL as a funny toy, but nothing more. I suppose it has evolved a lot with the years, so I can't really talk about it in 2013... ;)

As for Ableton. I never used it as a DAW, and I know some real-instruments musicians here on looperman use Ableton Live as a classic DAW, and to be honest, I don't know how you guys use it... The clips and scenes approach can be a little confusing in the beginning, but if you work a little time with it, you'll quickly find it very POWERFUL for... live. Isn't that what it was made for ? :)

I'm a real instruments musician so, I'd rather go for another kind of DAW ( Pro Tools / Logic Pro / eventually Digital Performer or Sonar for PCs ).

BUT... When it comes to electronic music, work as a DJ, well, that kind of things, I'm not afraid to say Ableton LIVE is UNBEATABLE especially combined with a controller like a novation launchpad, an Akai APC or some pads... and that clip/scene approach which seemed a lil confusing at first becomes the best concept ever made... ;)

just my two cents...

Peace
    Chris

17. 665781
    Soap : Thu 29th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

oh, and you could check out MAX for LIVE on youtube, and this could probably be another reason to love ableton live... ;)

Some guys provide free templates on the internet to use ableton live with a specific controller, and it just kicks ass... ( check launchpad apps at http://www.aurexmusic.com as an exemple )

18. 95108
    TheseMetalDays : Thu 29th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

Back in the 90's Fruityloops (as the name was in those days) was really a toy. Since then it has developed to quite serious DAW. When i first heard tunes made with Fruityloops, i too considered it as a toy to make rythmical "music" out of manufactured simple loops

19. 322747
    KooLKYLE : Fri 30th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

over the years the daws i used are... magix music maker 11 delux, dance ejay 7, reason 6, pro tools and fruity loops... i downloaded the demo version of ableton a few months back and could not figure it out.... from my experience in daws i would say pro tools is the best the second i would say is fruity loops.. FL is my favorite because its very user friendly and simple to use for example you could open up fruity loops then hand it to a 10 year old and after an hour of playing about with it they would know the basics of how to create a song with or without loops in FL but the main reason i like fruity loops so much is that there is so many vsts and effects that can be used with FL but i do believe ableton is the same ? but as most people have said already its not about the daw its about what the producer feels comfortable using and the vsts they are using :)

im prob going to start a daw war here but since were on the subject of good and bad daws... reason aint worth the time or money its the most complicated and time wasting thing iv ever used why would anyone use it i duno because to make a decent synth you need to make a combinator of like 10+ different effects then wire it all together making sure there all connected in the right way which is the most stupid thing ever after using FL mixer where you can simply assign a mixer track then put it through a send easy as that another thing about reason i dont like is that you cant see samples so if you like using samples they need to be the correct BPM before it enters reason i have spent hours trying to find an easy way to use reason and there is no easy or simple way around it but it prob be a good daw if your making polyphonic music :P... but i really really appreciate the amount of work reason users put into their songs you guys are hardcore :)

20. 831304
    DubTek : Fri 30th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

I know alot of people swear by FL studio... and im sure its great.

but...

when ever i fire it up i feel like im using a toy. like its for kids or something.

my vote goes to ableton...

21. 95108
    TheseMetalDays : Fri 30th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

I think there is a difference in how both have been developed: FL Studio began as a simple music making software for common people. Ableton started as as serious DAW for expert musicians.

22. 490439
    ZeeHipHop : Fri 30th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

The posts are getting off topic and heading straight toward a fanboy war. And we all know how constructive those can be.

@David, regardless of what I said earlier, you shouldn't be put off because of the learning curve. There are tons on videos and tutorials (if you have the time) to help you get stuck in with a new DAW. Remember, the DAW is just tool you use to get what's in your head coming out of a speaker

23. 992915
    PHZDDD : Fri 30th Aug 2013 : 8 years ago

Ok thanks for all the help and advice guys, I think I've got all I need now so that'll be enough on this thread LOL!!

24. 998072
    InverSound : Thu 19th Dec 2013 : 8 years ago

I would never use Fl Studio. Ableton all the way.

25. 1099817
    AudioMasonry : Thu 19th Dec 2013 : 8 years ago

Man, lemme tell ya something...

FL Studio is great, has an awesome workflow, good effects/instruments, but, it is not a full-on professional DAW. Abelton Live is a professional DAW that is efficient and easy to use, and trumps stuff like Apple Pro and Pro Tools.

If you have the money, get Abelton.

I am personally trying to get enough money to switch from FL to Abelton:)

-Audio Masonry

Posts 1 - 25 of 28

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.