Well Samples Are All Gone

Posts 1 - 13 of 13
  1. 749324
    RoseErin : Thu 11th Jul 2013 : 9 years ago

Im in my Fl studio today Just making a track, My mouse has been giving me fits since It likes to suddenly not click or unclick when Im dragging stuff. but thats just a small annoyance. I go to make my Drum set for this pretty nice Piano tune that I feel will fit the Lost at sea (Zedd) vocals. but as I try to go there It just wont cooperate with me. on FL you can set favs to kinda teleport to the places you need without the blahblah blah.

Cept it wasnt working , I blamed this frustration on my mouse at first but noticed on two of the favorites were doing this the rest worked fine. the downloads- and the fav inside the downloads where all the samples are saved. Its not a neat set up at all, well it wasnt anyway. But Apparently Its gone. the entire folder disappeared. Thats alot of files over 2000 Samples 100 vocals and plenty of loops(including the ones I put up here) likewise Now I cant open many of my projects and edit them unless I want to change what evers missing. which is lucky that I already inhanced many of the tracks that used things I downloaded from here.

anyway if you were me how would handle this?I dont know what happened so im not sure If theres a hacker nearby getting into my stuff or If I just accidentally deleted it at some point. (Im not even sure how thatd work considering the long time itd take for the bin to recieve over 4000 files.

2. 698780
    doudei : Fri 12th Jul 2013 : 9 years ago

sorry to hear that :/
    first thing that comes to mind is that it could be your hard disk failing - check if the manufacturer of your hard drive has some sort of diagnostic tool.

3. 851137
    crucethus : Fri 12th Jul 2013 : 9 years ago

2 options. 1. burn a copy of ubuntu 13.04 (linux) run from disk, should be able to access hard drive from this and backup to usb hard drive. 2. if hard drive is still failing disconnect and put in freezer for 4 hours, re-connect and swap files to usb hard disk. A frozen hard drive should work fro a bit until it warms up again... good luck!

4. 749324
    RoseErin : Fri 12th Jul 2013 : 9 years ago

I hope the first option will help. this is the first time anything like this happened

5. 965188
    StrawHatDJ : Fri 12th Jul 2013 : 9 years ago

You can either put energy into recovering your old files and tracks or you can put energy into creating something new.

I have had something similar to this happen to me a few times on various PC's. Once upon a time I sent my pc to be upgraded... it sure did come back upgraded but I had lost all my music/samples plus personal files, it was basically like an out the box comp.
    Another time I installed some stuff I shouldn't have had and in the process of deleting all evidence I formated my hard drive but forgot to back-up all my music/samples another lesson learned.
    On a different occasion I moved house and stored my PC in a friends garage amongst other things, it rained but not from the sky from a burst pipe after a freezing winter. All music was lost.

The thing I learnt is to back-up all files twice. I got 2 spare hard drives just for backing up my data. One of them is an external one.

That being said everytime I lost my stuff I was PISSSED off and wanted to break something. I tried to re-create some of the songs that had been lost but they never sounded the same and there was always something slighty off about them, so I just said .... it and started from scratch creating something fresh. This allowed me to learn new techniques and be inspired by completely different samples/loop/sounds.

6. 782612
    40A : Fri 12th Jul 2013 : 9 years ago

it's happened to me a few times, mostly due to user error. Like when i accidentally popped in an old HD and it formatted essentially everything on my comp.

During that phase i probably made some of the best sounding music and loops i've ever created due to lack of resources. Not saying it's an ideal situation, but it definitely helped me learn to make something out of nothing.

I hope you're able to recover some of the stuff that went, i know as an artist losing your work is pretty much the end of the world. Their like our babies...

If we had thousands of them.

GL!

7. 749324
    RoseErin : Fri 12th Jul 2013 : 9 years ago

thankfully it was only bones you know. At leats my songs still exist in some form- just if I open them That sound will be missing- like kicks and vocals. which is annoying but not death.

8. 851137

I assume you are using windows. 1. check your trash can to eliminate if you accidentally deleted the files, 2. check and see if the file was made hidden. view, advanced, show hidden files. I run Linux Ubuntu, I also run windows in virtual box. I also have a Garmin Nuvi GPS which I mess around with updating maps and things for free. In windows I can't access every folder on the nuvi, in linux, I see everything. So Try the disk.

9. 883744
    ElectronBlue : Fri 12th Jul 2013 : 9 years ago

You can check to see if your hd is failing. it might not be. Sea Tools is free and checks Seagate drives. Follow this link for all free HD testing tools for all makes of HD drives from the makers. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Then of course you can use the old fashioned CHKDSK for dos. Download FreeDOs http://www.freedos.org/ Then run C:/chkdsk or use windows system chckdsk that will let you know if your hd is a bit dodgy. Then get recuva it is free and will get that that lost folder back for you if you accidentally deleted it. http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download
    Hope that helps.

10. 944056
    Darkreine : Fri 12th Jul 2013 : 9 years ago

In my experience, a hard disc fails or works, I can't ever remember a time when I had one in the middle of. So here's Darkreine's number one tip for today!: Store your music on an external hard drive which you access on a regular basis, back up your files onto a second external hard drive, which you access only to back up files.

Nothing is ever totally deleted from a hard drive. Check out a program called Total Commander. It has a lot of features for viewing hidden files and has a file/folder restore function too. Good luck.

11. 698780
    doudei : Fri 12th Jul 2013 : 9 years ago

also if you can afford to spend some dollars i recommend getting this:
    https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

it has made hard disk readable for me almost always, even when i had lost all hope. it is a very low level software written in assembly and directly talking to your disk controller.
    if anything can magically make your disk work again then it's that, i swear. but be prepared to let it run for a few hours, maybe even days if your partition was large. it even attempts some heuristics to restore unreadable data and of course will mark defect sectors as unusable. after it finishes running do one thing, and one thing only! -> copy all data to a safer place and trash the disk. or take it apart and create some art out of it!
    only worth the cash, time and trouble if you really really want your data back though.

@crucethus: that freezer trick i heard before too a few times already. seems interesting, what is the reasoning behind it? also i suppose you gotta be careful with condensation if you do that?

12. 851137

The freezer trick is a last resort method when your hard-drive seems inoperable. you can get 2-20 mins, hopefully enough time to back up your data. I stongly suggest using a linux disk like ubuntu to at least be able to look at the drive and see if you can recover data that way. I have saved more than a few computers from friends and family this way. The whole reason I switched to linux 7 years ago was a crappy hard-drive that failed on me in Windows Vista during an update. I could not even access the partition. So I used the disk, got my data. Went to ubuntu as my operating system 7 years ago and I am still using the same computer and it's still now faster and more effiecient than most Windows 7 systems. I can't say about 8 because I havent worked with it.

13. 899951
    THEAfroGuy : Fri 12th Jul 2013 : 9 years ago

Have you looked into the file settings? Where you can assign folders to appear in your sidebar? I use FL Studio 11, and sometimes it seems to.. forget.. that I have assigned folders to appear in the sample sidebar. Check options>file settings, and see if it has just misplaced the location of the folder.

Posts 1 - 13 of 13

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.