See our Outer Space RE-201 emulator By AudioThing Review

Sources For Inspiration And Progression

Posts 1 - 20 of 20
  1. 335492
    matthew8755 : Thu 27th Jun 2013 : 7 years ago

Soooo I've came back to looperman after, what's felt forever, like a year or so hiatus. Maybe some people might remember me I don't know but I was kinda active... If you don't I don't blame you, I wouldn't remember me either :P

Anyway, I decided to log back on today because I feel like my music isn't going anywhere... I feel capable (more then when I used to come on) to produce, I can do that but it seems I have hit a producers block stage but this time it's been over the last 4-5 months. Whatever I play on my piano/keyboard just sounds the same. I try making melodic phrases in every key but I just keep hitting the same melodies I have been playing for the last hundred times.
    I've probably came up with three or four different ideas over the last few months but everything right now is at a standstill and it sucks! It's not even producers block per say, it's more reaching the next level of composing. Apart from three or four, every chord progression I use is basic and it doesn't create any excitement for me, i.e. I feel like I'm just going in circles...

So why am I posting about my lack of originality? Do I seek pity? nope, I'm curious about how you get over producers block. Maybe refer to some tutorials (DVD's, books, online videos & articles) that have got you to the next level of composition or bettered you in that respect.

Right now I am probably listening to every conceivable genre of music in rotation so I wouldn't say I was lacking in inspiration for that so any other mediums like I said above would be helpful :) and hopefully I can post up some stuff I made between leaving and getting stuck in this rut!

P.S. I didn't return just to moan about this, I also did in the hopes of seeking inspiration from the wonderfully talented musicians that reside here :D

2. 490439
    ZeeHipHop : Thu 27th Jun 2013 : 7 years ago

That's a tough one. Been feeling like that myself the last few months. I find taking a break i.e. "forced vacation" works for me. By that I mean, I find that when I listening to music I would try and break down the elements within a given track. On vaca, I would try not to critique anything and just listen to normal radio (not my fav thing to do coz it's mostly hogwash) but what it did was turn my "producer" ear off. After like a 2 weeks of not making anything and being showered with crap on the radio. I would go back highly motivated and extremely annoyed that *insert artist here* is getting airplay and I'm not. Works for me.

3. 944056
    Darkreine : Thu 27th Jun 2013 : 7 years ago

Speaking as someone who is NOT a musician and can't play a note, I can tell you it's the same for me too. I get really bored easily, so the way I get around that is to try and do something totally alien to me and the music I love to listen to. The truth be told, I can't make the music I like to listen too, because I can't put down in music what I hear in my head.

So what I would suggest to you is this. Make one or two tracks using loops from other people, nothing of your own. See how creative you can be. I'm sure that once you do that you'll get your inspiration back. Something else I've learned which really surprised me, is that what sounds crap to you, can sometimes sound really good to others. Whatever happens, don't give up. You can't learn talent like yours.

Keep the Faith!!

4. 208341
    drmistersir : Thu 27th Jun 2013 : 7 years ago

get mad

get really mad - it's the easiest emotion to achieve and the most readily communicable

once your heart is pounding find or create some sounds that come close to reflecting all that anger

you should find yourself "back in the saddle" in next to no time

join us on the darkside

5. 883744
    ElectronBlue : Thu 27th Jun 2013 : 7 years ago

It's times like this when you need other people to bounce ides off each other. Collab's are the way. Meet like minded musicians and work together. Find old work you put aside and see if you can put new life into it. Old projects gathering dust you might have forgotten about in a folder. Have a look it just might get the creative notes flowing again. When I get stuck I just get a drum beat and let it ride. Then I might just lay down a bass, then some chords 9ths and 6ths from guitar, then try and work a melody around it. Well it works for me. Not often I have a melody first. Take an old song from a famous writer and work the chord progression and see what happens. You might get a new song out of it. Hope that helps.

6. 817298
    Enzotic : Fri 28th Jun 2013 : 7 years ago

I'm just gonna expand on what 12STRING said.

Your music can reach a different level of creativity by feeding off of the creative work of others. That being said, this site is a great tool for that. Also, sampling from other tracks is a pretty good idea too (you just have to either get your samples cleared or keep your sampled work to yourself).

I sample or use Looperman when I'm feeling stuck with melodies. I'm not always immediately successful, but eventually I hear something that catches my attention.

7. 863517
    Sundans : Fri 28th Jun 2013 : 7 years ago

You have to tap into your emotions to get the genuine sound you want. Think about something that gets you emotional. In our tracks, we often attempt to paint an image with our composition. You can't force yourself to produce unless you want to create unsatisfactory, generic tracks.

8. 335492
    matthew8755 : Fri 28th Jun 2013 : 7 years ago

Yeah, I used to use acapellas to get my creative juices flowing. Did it earlier today and it worked. I prefer working acapellas especially of random and different genres, usually leads into fusion genres.

Anyway I appreciate you all giving me advice, I just need to replace this damn laptop so i can really start producing :)

9. 965188
    StrawHatDJ : Tue 2nd Jul 2013 : 7 years ago

Take a break, when my brain does not work the way I would like, I take a break from what ever it is that I need to take a break from. I rest, I sleep I don't do anything. I used to think that if I didn't work on something for ages I would forget and get back to working asap but that was a big mistake and I would end up going nowhere again. Now I just rest until something comes out of nowhere and then I get realy busy like a steam train or something.

10. 977842
    alenwayne : Tue 2nd Jul 2013 : 7 years ago

The producer ear... Something once you have... Wont ever go away lol. At least thats the case for me. I used to be able to enjoy all kinds of music... But now it's like I scan music instead of listen. But as ZeeHipHop said... Forced Vacation WORKS. it honestly does. But be warned you will itch... and feel like you are withdrawing from your natural habitat

11. 630386
    Unknown User : Tue 2nd Jul 2013 : 7 years ago

Don't take a break, you just got back. Instead, listen and keep listening to the great music on this site. You are bound to get inspired really quickly by all of the great talent here on this site. Well that's a tough place you are in right about now. I've been in something similar. Go to a movie then come back and listen to some more great music here. For me, I got to many ideas which is just as bad. I owe tons of collabs and I just don't have the time to do it all done. I wish there were 28 hours in a day. So the opposite extreme isn't any better either. It will get better for you, just take it easy and don't force things. Cheers!

12. 560295
    TurfGoldMusic : Tue 2nd Jul 2013 : 7 years ago

I remember artist used to come with one album every year. So during their twelve month vacation, they really fine tuned every song until it was perfect. Now folks are making enough songs for an album in a week. As a result the quality of music being put out is less than mediocre. If a break is what you need, than take it. If you need to open up a picture book and reminisce for ideas than do so. I took almost 7 or 8 years off from Hip Hop because I got tired of it. Now I and have found my niche but, writers block is not something I worry about anymore. Good music should take time so, I'm not going to tell you good luck. Because you already know what your doing, when your ready it will happen.

13. 905673
    SoulMaaaan85 : Tue 2nd Jul 2013 : 7 years ago

one thing i love to expose myself to in the artistic process particularly in a sort of writers block situation this can stimulate the right reaction with a rush or flow of turgid creative growth or energy. not to sound like a doped up hippy all worked up over some art class he took some lsd before but Images from the site Flickr.com it has images uploaded from memebers that really detail every imaginable tag- socially relevent or absolutely obscure and personally meaningful to the individual and all that resides in between to the two polarities in applicable value to you however you are looking to be affected positively flowing or a less elated level of emotional expression can easily be induced. ill try to link up specific slideshows i play with media player in simultaneous rotation often also gives me ideas for visuals and imagery later implemented into a video concept as seen in the last link to my music video for YUR which is a lot of the stuff i used to watch while building the concept and filling out the recordings and arrangement for the final drafts of that piece.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/demolition_treib/favorites/show/with/5964179405/

try navigating using the groups which designates images into groups by that which they are tagged by users

http://youtu.be/tshiq2nzcKE
    http://youtu.be/mACuUIyq_E0
    http://youtu.be/G20h6AXnYQU

14. 905673
    SoulMaaaan85 : Tue 2nd Jul 2013 : 7 years ago

dont read what i write just listen to my tracks comment and visit the links if your looking for something to stare at for fun

15. 665781
    Soap : Wed 3rd Jul 2013 : 7 years ago

Use counterpoint techniques... Record your chords in your daw. Quantize them. Then loop your chord progression, open your midi editor and start modifying your chords note by note, until you.re satisfied...

My 2cent.

16. 776955
    Billydragon1 : Sat 6th Jul 2013 : 7 years ago

I try to find a balance between producing and feeding. That is I might go through a period of putting tunes out, then I might stop then go through a period of feeding i.e reading, creativity through another medium, watching documentaries, inventing something which always leads to more ideas for tunes. Yes ..Write the vision and keep it plain..that he may run who reads it.

17. 698780
    doudei : Sat 6th Jul 2013 : 7 years ago

i usually load a sound, hit record and then play for 5-10 minutes just improvising ideas. sometimes even happy accidents happen.
    here it's already important what type of sound was chosen for me. i play in a different way when a piano sound is loaded than say some strings or a synth pad sound. the chosen sound can have a great impact to me personally when it comes to creativity. then i find sections that are nice, sometimes even very short loops (i mean less than 4 bars, maybe even only 2-4 beats). that also can give great inspiration. also sometimes i try out 7/4 or 5/4 loops and get interesting results.
    after that stage what Soap described above is exactly what i do a lot of the time, too: i spend a very high percentage of my time in the piano roll, moving around notes and trying to make it harmonize with different combinations and counterpoints. also check out the shortcuts of your DAW so you can just use the keyboard instead of the mouse most of the time. at least this makes it a lot less tiring for me and is more efficient and quicker. that way you can try out a lot of different combinations in a short time.
    after a while you will find it more and more easy to get ideas in your head into your sequencer in no time! also revisiting old tunes and breathing new life into them is a great way to overcome blockades indeed.

18. 1037855
    PerfectInterval7 : Wed 6th Nov 2013 : 7 years ago

One thing I noticed about all great tunes -from Bach to Sub Focus is that they all have distinctive note patterns. What do I mean by this -ok -take an example -A tune everyone knows -Jingle Bells -

You can hear distinct number patterns -123 -123 -12345 -123-1234 -1234567 -1 -etc

Using this technique we can mess around with different number groups in our head to make new melodies -it is quite a powerful way of generating melodic ideas -try it! Analyse melodies you love also -they will ALL have these distinctive number groupings -

19. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Wed 6th Nov 2013 : 7 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gHEIF0rT2w I find this very helpful. Pictures help, I like to make tracks telling a story with sound maybe depicted in a picture. Also I find loops or sound samples that give me ideas for tracks.

20. 998072
    InverSound : Thu 7th Nov 2013 : 7 years ago

if you dont believe in yourself then who will

Posts 1 - 20 of 20

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums