Best Switch From Logic Pro

Posts 1 - 19 of 19
  1. 755430
    Jadon : Sat 15th Jun 2013 : 9 years ago

Hey guys.

I feel bad because i havent been on in two weeks but the site looks amazing!

Basically, I'll be switching from Mac to Windows pretty soon and I'm very fluent with Logic Pro. well, i cant run Logic on a windows computer (as far as i know) and so im going to need a new DAW for the time being on the windows laptop.

Im thinking either Pro Tools or FL Studio, but I don't know what would be a better switch from Logic. I do electronic music and other personal projects.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

2. 817298
    Enzotic : Sat 15th Jun 2013 : 9 years ago

I've never used Pro Tools, but switching to a new DAW shouldn't be too difficult one you get used to the interface. FL comes with some pretty good plugins if you buy the Producer edition the more expensive editions.

I used alot of YouTube videos when I started using FL. I'm not sure which program is most similar to Logic yet.

Good luck on your switch!

3. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Sat 15th Jun 2013 : 9 years ago

Pro Tools would be the Logical switch as they are very similar but why not stick to the mac?

4. 965188
    StrawHatDJ : Tue 25th Jun 2013 : 9 years ago

It is rather late but I had to be sure. The most similar switch from Logic on Mac to Windows is Sonar from CakeWalk http://www.cakewalk.com/

I had to wait to hear from a reliable source and they swear that Sonar is pretty much the PC version of Logic. I've never used it myself but I Trust their advice.

5. 486477
    GramoChopin : Thu 27th Jun 2013 : 9 years ago

It's funny because i've kind of revisited on Logic, i used it in college but i always used Reason to make my tracks. (I still prefer Reason though) And it's funny because now because Logic has been crashing on me like crazy. Very irritating. But i know the solution to fix it...so it's only temporary.

And Logic Pro is Mac exclusive man, kind of sucks. But of course, there are plenty of alternatives to great DAWs that work well on PC. Like Cubase or Cakewalk's Sonar. Pro tools is VERY nice, and FL Studio wouldn't be a bad choice either. Only gripe i have with Pro tools is how overcomplicated it is sometimes. Especially on a mac, there is so many ways to do one thing. The options and shortcuts and different methods are quite vast...but that's just me though. I knew a dude who made some pretty banging trap beats only in pro tools, i don't see how he did it. lol

I mean i know how, but Protools just doesn't fit my workflow

6. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Thu 27th Jun 2013 : 9 years ago

Pro-Tools is really easy to understand and work with as everything is plain and simple but it needs a week or so of accommodation, if you read the manual as well you'll like it as it has a lot of cool features that come in very as very useful regardless if you are recording, mixing or writing songs. Personally I find Pro-Tools very straight forward and everything is easy to set up(in a similar fashion to Logic but with a bit more options). The only problem is that it's 32bit so if you want more ram other options might be better suited. Just so you know I can run several instances of Kontakt, Omnisphere, BFD2 and Stylus RMX on just 4 Gigs of RAM so as long as you keep that PC optimized just for music production you should be fine.

I've used Cubase and Sonar in the past and both behaved well and where stable although I've preferred Cubase more.

FL Studio is a great sequencer but lacks a bit in the mix department as the routing options are a bit limited among other flaws but it's a fabulous sequencer, I'd even say the best sequencer out there so if you are more into sequencing FL Studio would be the first choice. Reason is also cool but if you want to run other sound libraries(there are some great ones out there) you'd need an additional sequencer\DAW and that might be a bit counterproductive even with all the template possibilities we have nowadays.

I guess at the end of the day your best bet would be to demo some of the DAW's and decide afterwards because it will be easier to make up your mind based on your workflow and which DAW goes better with that workflow.

Cheers!

7. 665781
    Soap : Thu 27th Jun 2013 : 9 years ago

I totally agree with Mahloo, Pro Tools, without any doubt...

After i have tried cubase, sonar, logic... Pro tools is very user friendly... As for the shortcuts, it's right to say there are too many to remember all... But with a custom labelled keyboard, the problem is solved, and if you need complete control at your fingertips, you can use an ipad as second screen to help you editing, and you can even buy one of these http://www.dnamusiclabs.com/node/4452 so you've got the best budget solution for pro results... Well, my opinion only...

8. 486477
    GramoChopin : Thu 27th Jun 2013 : 9 years ago

@ mahloo Well Pro tools is easy to some,(More so the veterans) but saying it's easy as "everything" is generalizing a bit there. I know you have attained alot of experience because you've been in the industry and worked with a variety of programs and hardware, but what about the people who have not? It took me a couple of weeks to achieve even a novice level in Reason lol

But that's because i was doing everything on my own. I wouldn't recommend Pro Tools to someone whose just starting, it would overwhelm the beginner or anyone whose new to it.(I'd say Sony's Acid Pro, Mixcraft, and even Reaper are more beginner friendly.) Many DAWS actually could do that, at least in my personal experience. You can't expect to know everything about one of these programs on your first go. And you can't expect to be as proficient as the plus years veteran within a week's time.

The main thing though is the preference of the individual and what works for them.(Which has been said) I don't disagree that Pro Tools is great, used it for 2 years in college and have done a variety of projects on it. It's got some of the best features compared to almost any DAW and that's why it's an industry standard.

But i digress, i'm not challenging you or anything Mahloo so don't take it that way if you by chance can't read into my sarcasm. I'm quite the sarcastic SOB sometimes haha agree with everything you said except saying protools is simple and easy. But I know you know what your talking about.

@ soap the thing about the shortcuts is that even my teacher tried to learn them all, but he never could figure EVERY single one of them out lol he knew most of them but on the mac though.

9. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Fri 28th Jun 2013 : 9 years ago

InPSYcle - it's all a matter of perception. You certainly don't learn all the ins and outs of any DAW in one week but it can give you a clue in regards to how it will suit your workflow. I do agree with you though and as you've said it's all about the preference of the individual, that's why I said he should demo some of the DAW's out there and find out what works for him. The beauty about any DAW out there is that you never really learn all about them regardless how long you've been using them. When I said Pro Tools is easy I was referring to my own experience and some of m buddies experiences with Pro-Tools, we made the switch from Cubase some yeons ago and we got it pretty fast.

Shortcuts are there in any DAW and not everybody uses them, I know a lot of people that work with dropdown menus. In time regardless of the DAW you use one will certainly learn the shortcuts and all the ins and outs of that DAW or better said most of the ins and outs.

And don't worry about offending me or anything man. If I'd get upset when somebody expresses a different opinion other than mine I'd be without a job. Contradictory discussions are always beneficial. I wasn't picking on your reply in my previous post even though it came through as if I was.

It would be nice if we'd see a new post from the OP. I still think FL Studio or Reason would be the best choice for him.

10. 899951
    THEAfroGuy : Fri 28th Jun 2013 : 9 years ago

I use FL Studio 11 Producer Edition , and I love it! It wasn't the first DAW I started using (Pro Tools was my first), but once I started actively using FL Studio, it instantly grew on me! A great, great step sequencer, but I've found that the program is capable of much, much more! I recently started EQing, and mastering my tracks with it, and they sound great!

I haven't been making music for too long, but I have to say the learning curve in FL Studio is very small. All up for perception though!

Chris

11. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Sat 29th Jun 2013 : 9 years ago

Protools if you can afford it is what I'd use. $700USD on a new full license. On Logic Pro about $250USD.

You must also purchase an iLok USB device for Pro Tools. $50USD more. also iLok has got major issues. When they go bad you might have to by a new one.

Logic Pro includes a dongle.

For best sound and ease of use it's Pro Tools. It's a better investment. You can do more with it and its overall sound is better. You are likely to find Pro Tools in more professional recording studios than Logic Pro.

Logic feels more like an advanced version of GarageBand to me. But if you are low on money and still need a decent sound, Logic Pro will do just fine.

12. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sat 29th Jun 2013 : 9 years ago

What does MrT think about it......"No I don't hate FL Studio,but I pity the fool,and I will destroy any man who doesn't use Ableton"....................(lol)

13. 486477
    GramoChopin : Sat 29th Jun 2013 : 9 years ago

@Joe I know! Pro tools is so damn expensive! It's probably one of the most expensive DAWS out there, but for good reason. And i agree, Logic definitely seems like a more elevated Garageband. As soon as i got Logic i stopped using Garageband ironically lol It's still nice and functions well though.

@mahloo yea i definitely agree that you won't know absolutely everything about a DAW even with years of experience. The options are completely limitless almost. I've used Reason for about 4 5 plus years and still don't know everything about it lol The same with Acid Pro...which maybe i've been using that for almost 6 years.

And that's crazy that you your buddies got good pro tools fast though(what's your secret???)did you have guidance from someone? Or did one of your buddies know a couple of things about it? I think it maybe took me about the same amount of time to good at it, but that was because i had a professional teacher.

14. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Sat 29th Jun 2013 : 9 years ago

Guys if you think Pro-Tools is expensive you should look at the price of Nuendo! Lol! 2000ish dollars.

InPSYcLe - The thing that puts most folks into difficulty when using PT is the naming and assignment of Auxes and Busses as most folks fail to understand the connection between them. Most DAW's out there automatically create the connections with the creation of a new track\channel and in PT you have to make the connections through busses, so you manually create the connections. That's the most difficult thing to learn but once you get a good grip of that the sky is the limit...or should I say the RAM.Lol!

We didn't have any previous experience with it but once we made the switch to PT we couldn't go back as the management of the studio made the choice and we had to roll with it. We did spend a week setting up sessions and routing signals through it, read the manual and then loaded up the old sessions and transferred those to PT, that was a better learning experience than any teacher could have provided us, we basically worked with the manual in our hands and to be honest everything seemed very logical, and NO we still don't know everything about it but as with any DAW only some of the options are really needed in our branch of the industry. To be honest the hardest thing for us was to get used to the new shortcuts as we were still using Cubase's shortcuts all over and it resulted in some crazy stuff every now and again...ohhh the memories.

Just for the record I'm not trying to convince the OP on getting Pro-Tools, I'm just discussing my experience with InPSYcLe when it comes to PT.

@Thread - DAW's do NOT have a sound of their own, and theoretically the sound should be the same in each, it's the workflow that's making you make different choices as you go along..if you load up a session in as many DAW's as possible with no processing at all and bounce them with the same settings they should null(meaning when you flip the polarity of one of the exports you will get silence). That is the beauty of digital..it's clean and pristine unlike consoles and outboard gear which impart some sort of sonic flavor to the sound.

Cheers!

15. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Sat 29th Jun 2013 : 9 years ago

Point missed! It is clear that DAW's don't have a sound of their own. The default offerings in Pro Tools for mastering and the like is far more advanced in pro tools than Logic Pro industry experts would agree.

For example, try using the default offerings in Acid Pro oppose to Propellerhead Reason without any added third party plugins. Sound advantage option would favor Reason by far was the point I was trying to make with Logic vs PT. Add third party plugins to Sony Acid then playing field might be equal. I never suggested that DAw's have there own sound, that's absurd!

16. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Mon 1st Jul 2013 : 9 years ago

Joe that is not true. PT's stock plugins are not better or worse than Logic, Sonar, Cubase, Reaper etc.

The only thing about Pro-Tools that makes it interesting is the workflow and editing.

I'm sorry but I cannot agree on this with you because we've discussed and discussed and then discussed again this subject on endless pro audio sites, with input from software developers, seasoned veterans - Grammy winners actually, whenever somebody popped the question "which is the best DAW?". Lol! It's all about the user.

Although I must admit that sometimes I feel like some DAW's stock plugs suck the truth is I'm put down by their GUI for the most part as there is nothing wrong with their sound. Lol!

17. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Mon 1st Jul 2013 : 9 years ago

Hey Mahloo! No hard feelings pal. That's why we have discussion threads here. But your tone has taken a more personal downward spiral. That is not meant to be a criticism or anything negative towards you, no. Review this thread pal. I see you putting people down like InPSYcLe because he had a difference of opinion that did work with yours. When people don't agree with you, you elevate your tone with some words in Caps and lots of exclamation points. What? We are having discussion, here right?

Okay you use lots of (!) and caps which indicates a level of elevated frustration because people will not see things your way. Okay for the sake of me bowing out of this discussion I will yield to you Mahloo in the most respectful way I can. I agree, they all sound the same but no one said Logic Pro was a bad program. The stock offerings are better in Pro tools if I am spending my money. You have more options in Pro Tools from people I know who professionally have used both in their studios. At this point it's pointless to break it all down since you since you took a foothold in your last comments.

So I am going to leave like this. An informed producer should examine all of their options and do their own homework. Check the specs out for yourself and decide what's more important to you. Remember, you are spending your own money. Some of us experts tend to push our own personal agendas rather than evaluate the true needs of the musician. It's okay to listen to opinions but do your own homework and take in consideration what you heard but mostly what you uncovered yourself. Everything I read suggests that Pro Tools is the industry leading DAW bar none. There's a reason for that but I will refrain from going down that road so as to avoid being picked apart on that.

Here is an unbiased comparison. Just the facts in this link:
    http://sound-editing-software.findthebest.com/compare/34-53/Logic-Studio-vs-Pro-Tools-10

Mahloo, I expect a Caps filled and exclamation filled response from you. I genuinely respect your knowledge and experience. Just try not to be so stern staunch in your opinions when you don't have tangible facts to support them. A better way would be, " Okay Joe, explain to me why do you think the default options are better in Pro Tools?". You make them eat their words first and then you follow in what your experience tells you. When you take a defiant and absolute position it creates conflict and tension. I have tons of respect for you. Your pal, Joe

18. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Mon 1st Jul 2013 : 9 years ago

Joe I assure you I am not frustrated or stressed and under no circumstances did I want to take a "defiant and absolute position" and if I come across that way I apologize. Written text has no emotion yet you seem to judge me based on that. My phrasing might not always be as it should but then again English is not my native language and speaking several languages I tend to mix up phrasing and it might come across awkward.

I do not see the connection between the Caps and the ! signs. If you review the way I usually write you will see I always do it that way...regardless if I criticize, give props, swear or just joke around. I am a very direct person and I always speak my mind and if someone gets offended I have no problem apologizing, we are human and we are prone to mistakes. I used only 2 or so (I didn't count) exclamation marks (leaving the Cheers! and Lol! out of discussion because they are exclamations and are marked with an exclamation mark) and if by Caps you mean DAW and GUI well..it's habit...and I can't get rid of it so sorry.

You seem to constantly have something to say when it comes to my persona so why not take it of your chest once and for all. I assure you I'll appreciate you even more if you do that and stop hiding behind the keyboard. Trust me I never take anything personally especially on the internet.

I apologize for the Caps...I like things tidy. :p...

..slowly backs off....let's people run their show

19. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Mon 1st Jul 2013 : 9 years ago

Hey Mahloo, it's never personal with me I want you to know that. My wife and kids keep me busy with all sorts of problems and issues but I greatly appreciate the fact you seem to think I have this thing with your persona, I am truly honoured man. I look at this way Mahloo. Respectfully sir I feel people are intimidated by you and your experience. Some of your response tends to marginalize some of them but not all the time. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

I feel some peeps here might feel a bit apprehensive to challenge you in fear of looking unintelligent to put it mildly. I've been a producer before the DAW was invented. I was splicing reel to reel mixtapes using analogue equipment, a splicing block and splicing sticky tape in the late '70s. I was more of a hands on guy so I still have some studio limitations like SSL mastering. But if I was as knowledgeable as you I'd engage people to get them to think rather than tell them that they are wrong and how things really are. Now maybe I am wrong about that, but you are also wrong on how you characterized me and no harm done but you could of let that go too. I got bigger things on my plate right in front of me now.

One thing I can say about you is, you are very highly valued resource here and people love and respect your knowledge and opinions. Mahloo, sometimes I feel I must speak out if no one else does in effort to bring about a more balanced discussion. What if we all followed Microsoft's recommendations on technology? We'd all be in a place that would be kind of uncomfortable. Google and Apple brings balance and another perspective.

In the forums we need to get past personal tiffs because that does nothing for Jadon on this one. By the time I jumped in this thing it had already went way off topic. Jadon said "Im thinking either Pro Tools or FL Studio" You also said Reason would be best? What?

Sorry Jadon that things got sort of got lost early on here. If you are on a budget Jadon then Choose FL Studio, otherwise the smart investment is with Pro Tools.

Mahloo, I really enjoy these discussions we have, you are lots fun to share ideas with. :-) Cheers mate! Joe

Posts 1 - 19 of 19

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.