Click Here for new free VSTs & plugins added daily

How Do You Listen To Your Music

Posts 1 - 25 of 28
  1. 944056
    Darkreine : Wed 12th Jun 2013 : 8 years ago

I was wondering how most people listen to music on this website. i.e. headphones or speakers. I usually produce in the cans and then mix and master through the speakers, so I know there is a world of difference in the sound. I usually listen here through my speakers and if I download put it on my ipod.

2. 698780
    doudei : Wed 12th Jun 2013 : 8 years ago

interesting topic!
    most of the time i listen with headphones because my speakers are quite bad - made them myself years ago and lets just say it's a small miracle they work, haha!
    also it simply immerses me way more into the sound and details get more noticeable. of course that would probably not be the case if my speakers were more decent. also my neighbors are thankful i suppose :D

for mixing i switch to speakers every once in a while, however mainly stick to the phones there too.
    can be tricky but with good headphones and when keeping in mind some of the caveats it's not too bad.

3. 490439
    ZeeHipHop : Wed 12th Jun 2013 : 8 years ago

When online I listen via headphones (since Im usually at work). But at home I listen on my monitors.

4. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Wed 12th Jun 2013 : 8 years ago

A 5.1 System, Headphones, a Pair of monitors if they are on (I have one connected to my PC)....I don't really have a set of speakers/headphones dedicated for listening purposes so whichever is on or depending on my location (my home studio or some commercial studio I'm work out of at the moment)

When mixing or producing I use monitors( a pair of BX8's with a BX10 Sub and a pair of Yamaha NS-10's, as well as a small PC type system - you know those small PC speakers and I also use a 5.1 system which mimics most home situations -realtek soundcards anyone?)

I only use headphones to check out some things (reverbs, delay returns, phase problems, panning etc.) or when editing and comping things.

My phone is the ultimate check tool so if it sounds good among all the other songs it's done, if not..I rework it.

5. 157151
    PatriciaEdwards : Wed 12th Jun 2013 : 8 years ago

Malu, you're such a show off :-)

At work I listen on these little thingees called speakers, but believe me, they really aren't. lol

At home the speakers on my laptop or headphones.

When I listen back after recording its usually with the ol handy dandy...headphones.

Sometimes in my car.

All of it, work, home, car, sounds different!

6. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Wed 12th Jun 2013 : 8 years ago

Good question! I Listen on Skull candy headphones, thats also how i mix my tracks. Today i'm setting up my pioneer stereo with 12" fisher speakers, litte old fashioned but works for me.

7. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Wed 12th Jun 2013 : 8 years ago

Oh yeah, I download tracks to play on my mp3 player while at work too, I listen to them on headphones. Thank you to all for sharing your hard work, much appreciated, I find so much wonderful music on here.

8. 944056
    Darkreine : Wed 12th Jun 2013 : 8 years ago

This is a real interesting cross section. I guess the point of the question is to find out the most popular method. I use the Bose QE3 (Mahloo - These have Acoustic Noise Cancelling technology to electronically identify, then dramatically reduce, the noise around you lol). I tried mastering with them and the production was amazing, then when I played it back through my (Bose CMM4's Mahloo)speakers the noise was horrendous!!

Sorry Mahloo, just joshing you.

9. 883744
    ElectronBlue : Wed 12th Jun 2013 : 8 years ago

Well I have these things called ears and I hang some things called headphones off them and they sound rather cool. Monitor headphones called KRK KNS 8400 and they cost way too much. Then when my ears hurt I swap to my monitors ESI and for some reason it all sounds c**p and I have to do it all again.

10. 308224
    theHumps : Wed 12th Jun 2013 : 8 years ago

I usually use speakers (KRK Rokit 6) to listen to tracks but if I hear a mix that impresses me I will throw on the Klipsch headphones and try to dissect the song and pick the producers head a little. Headphones seem to help emphasize stereo separation and effects a lot. I use speakers most of the time to answer your question.

11. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Wed 12th Jun 2013 : 8 years ago

Headphones are definitely not indicated for a number of reasons but as long as people get results that translate by all means use them. There are no rules. The thing is they actually camouflage extreme stereo separation and while they might seem to emphasize the stereo separation you'd be surprised to find out your monitors would do a better job if you'd spread them more.

@Patricia and Darkreine - Lol! Not really showing off, I'm sure most of the members of this site run some sort of monitors in their rooms. The difference in my case is sometimes I have to work from my home studio and thus my living depends on what comes out of that room (so maybe the "investment" is justified)

By the way right now I'm using headphones to listen. :)))))

12. 208341
    drmistersir : Wed 12th Jun 2013 : 8 years ago

earbuds stuffed in optime98's
    when i'm roughing out stuff (helps with the heardamage)

the "out loud" when it's time to mix (which i kinda suck at)

mostly i just try not to upset the girl downstairs

my speakers can make you wish you had insurance
    if i'm not considerate enough

13. 208341
    drmistersir : Fri 21st Jun 2013 : 8 years ago

Am i king threadkiller?

14. 227480
    StrikingDaggers : Sat 22nd Jun 2013 : 8 years ago

I rap and produce in headphones (Technics because i love the bass response).

I mix and master through speakers(M-Audio BX8a's).

When I'm on the internet listen through speakers too (Roland MA-8's).

15. 298905
    Jowe : Sat 22nd Jun 2013 : 8 years ago

I do everything with headphones, because it keeps me in my world and also because my parents are often sleeping when I want to compose.

I feel like i'm lost when I compose with speaker, but when I listen to my track I always use the speakers. If it sounds bad, then I redo it.

I use speaker only when I plan to listen to a lot of music for hours and hours and when I want to dance.

16. 983484
    Indozizz : Sat 22nd Jun 2013 : 8 years ago

Always with my uhm ear gear I got with my phone :p

17. 761765
    DJwizzy : Sat 22nd Jun 2013 : 8 years ago

I use AKG 44 headphones (30 dollars) because I don't have money for monitors lol :)

18. 929250
    BeyonceMonroe : Sat 22nd Jun 2013 : 8 years ago

Headphones as much as I can because the sound coming off of a laptop practically murders a song and I don't have decent speakers.

19. 951439
    Evisma : Wed 18th Sep 2013 : 7 years ago

Here with the Looperites, it's always headphones. I record and mix with headphones, then make mixdowns and listen on everything I can find. House stereo, car, crappy stereo and I even put it on my phone because it is INCREDIBLY unforgiving, and I take notes when I'm listening to them. When a mixdown is palatable over multiple systems, I consider it good.

20. 71369
    Unknown User : Wed 18th Sep 2013 : 7 years ago

with me bloody ears!..

21. 347760
    PortraitOfABlackHole : Wed 18th Sep 2013 : 7 years ago

usally listen to the site on my PS3 wierless headset (yes i use one on PC, it works great)

Producing, i mix on those PS3 headphones becuase they are real comfertable, then i switch to my shure 440s (monitor headphones) for final mixing and mastering. then i play it on my 5.1 system on my TV and in my truck and on my phone for QC.

i dont use the 440s for all my mixing becuase they are not all that comfertable for long periods of time.

22. 761765
    DJwizzy : Wed 18th Sep 2013 : 7 years ago

Evisma TOTALLY AGREE. I produce on anything I got (my headphones) and then hear it on as many devices as possible so I can get an idea of what sounds bad on what devices.

/ DJ wizzy

23. 944056
    Darkreine : Wed 18th Sep 2013 : 7 years ago

It's really interesting to hear the different techniques.

24. 740449
    brillbilly : Wed 18th Sep 2013 : 7 years ago

I place 2 quartz crystals 24 inches apart,attach a piece of copper wire from 1 crystal to the other.I take another 6 foot long piece of copper wire,cut in half,wrap one end around a crystal and poke other end in one of my SATA power holes,i then poke the other end of 6 feet piece of copper through my ear drum,and move the copper wire in the SATA Power port until i arc out on a live!.lol

But for real
    I live on my own kenny out in the contryside,so for me i listen to music loud and through 5.1 surround sound.!

I dont like listening through headphones,as some of my sounds i play with are scary! lol

***chris***

25. 851137
    crucethus : Wed 18th Sep 2013 : 7 years ago

I Use speakers, a trusty set of Bose 2.1, from 1987, and the tweeters from a goodwin austin 1960's set of speakers with a modern woofer that I rebuilt a few years ago. Alows me to hear sounds as they naturally are completely unprocessed throughan old kenwood KR-A47 40watt amp that sounds just as amazing on 1 as 10 volume. After I mix, i move on to my Harmon Karden 5.1 with JBL speakers to hear it sound on a more modern system, then I listen in the car (toyota stock) then I listen on my wifes Panasonic SA-Ak-18 super processed stereo, then I listen on the I pad speaker, then Headphones through the I pad. If it sounds good on all these mediums then I am happy with the mix! not everyone has top of the line studio monitors, and not everyone uses headphones. For me it must work on all systems.
    Steve

Posts 1 - 25 of 28

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums