How Do I Connect Electric Guitar To Laptop

Posts 1 - 23 of 23
  1. 672953
    Ozzz : Tue 4th Jun 2013 : 6 years ago

Hi,

Is there anyway to link an electric guitar to the lappie via USB linkage?

Ive Googled it but all that comes up is either;

A. Get a 1/8th connection and insert it into the input/micro-phone hole.

B. Get an audio interface.

I bought (prior to Googling)an Alesis guitar to USB linkage but all I get is some high pitched alien screams and sines that slightly change if I touch a string.

Cheers..

2. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Tue 4th Jun 2013 : 6 years ago

I havent done it yet but i guess you need a midi controller to connect electric guitar to laptop, i did look into it a little snd thats what i found.

3. 172885
    NateMonoxide : Tue 4th Jun 2013 : 6 years ago

I've been using the quarter-jack/adapter/line-in method myself, but I know the Line 6 Pod effigies are supposed to be fairly decent for USB recording, and you get the added bonus of amp models and such.

4. 828980

I use the mic in, but what i understand is the usb connection is a better way to go

5. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Tue 4th Jun 2013 : 6 years ago

And B should be your winner. A Guitar needs an amp with some mics or a DI. Period. Anything else (Line In, Mic In, whatever in) will just give you fuzz, interference and noise.

The Alesis might be picking up interference from the power supply of the pc and from the power cables running in the back of the Pc. It will never go away completely as it seems the customers of that cable are particularly annoyed by that "characteristic" of the cable.

6. 172885
    NateMonoxide : Tue 4th Jun 2013 : 6 years ago

Just a thought, but is your Alesis thing basically a quarter-jack to USB lead? If so, are you running it directly from the guitar to the laptop, or have you set it up so it's guitar to amp to laptop (possibly by a headphone jack or amp line out)?
    I've always found that guitar pickups can be sensitive to electronic equipment, especially when you're using gain/overdrive/distortion. Which can make recording on a laptop or PC a little awkward. There are a couple of things you could try, see if it helps with the audio quality:

- Make sure you don't have any crossed leads in your setup. I've known some audio cables to pick up a static hum from laying too close to my PC's power supply before

- When you're recording your guitar parts, move away from the laptop by about 2 metres. All the better if you face away from it. Also make sure you're not pointing your guitar in the direction of something like a TV or something else.

It might not be the perfect solution, but there's a chance it could clear up the audio enough to let you get by until you find something you prefer.

7. 883744
    ElectronBlue : Tue 4th Jun 2013 : 6 years ago

You will need an AUDIO INTERFACE end of story.

Try Line 6 guitar pod they are great. Comes with pod farm.

8. 672953
    Ozzz : Tue 4th Jun 2013 : 6 years ago

NateMonoxide: Thanks bro, but it more to do with properties, out-put/in-put. Its working now with no interference.

12STRING: You do NOT need an audio interface. The point of this thread was to get helpful answers and not the easy, unhelpful alternative.

9. 883744
    ElectronBlue : Tue 4th Jun 2013 : 6 years ago

Not unhelpful at all. Well you get what you pay for. Just remember the output on this thing is way to hot and will cause many problems down the line recording your guitar. Don't be a cheap skate get proper equipment to do a proper job.

10. 828980

I play my guitar through my Fx processor into the laptop through the mic in, i also play using headphones out on amp to the mic in on computer, as long as don't overdrive it seems to b fine. Bass I play either through my Fx processor or just plug it in direct to mic in.

11. 585633
    topvega : Tue 4th Jun 2013 : 6 years ago

I think over time you are going to find that set up to be a bit of a PITA and not ideal for recording guitars. You really need an Audio Recording Interface. After messing around with straight inputting my guitars and getting frustrated with the sound I broke down and bought a Presonus Audiobox interface. jmo

tv

12. 589130
    PeteTebar : Tue 4th Jun 2013 : 6 years ago

think I know what might help out. Check out this link at Amazon, I hope this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Bass-Cable-Adapter-Recording/dp/B00834KJ60/ref=pd_sim_pc_5

13. 372886
    Bilbozo : Wed 5th Jun 2013 : 6 years ago

Depending on your cost. I think the USB cable card like Pete mentioned is a very economical solution at less than $20.00 but would create a lot of issues. Latency would be one...most of them also would only be able to record at 16 bit / 44khz. There are 2 Pocket Pods by Line 6 that offer 24 bit at 96khz USB and has all the effects and cabs built in. Cost for the Pocket Pod is $120.00 or the Express version for $60.00. Well worth the investment and small enough to cart around. Hope this helps.

14. 672953
    Ozzz : Wed 5th Jun 2013 : 6 years ago

Bilbozo & PeteJonTebar: Thats the exact cable I bought, just a proper brand and almost four times the cost though. Definitely not the cleanest sound but without the interference everyone talks about, which is great. Thanks.

12STRING: Settle down..

15. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Wed 5th Jun 2013 : 6 years ago

You've already spent some money and I'm not sure if your satisfied with the results so far..anyway another solution is to buy an older usb audio/midi interface like a Tascam US-122 or similar at $40-50 second hand you'll get good recorded audio quality, phantom power for mics and be able to use midi keyboard controllers and have excellent monitor output.....no contest really....cheers

16. 479957
    midisparks : Thu 26th Dec 2013 : 5 years ago

planetjazzbass? Dave? does your recommend still hold today? would the Tascam US-122 benefit from a USB 3.0 port or do you need new audio interface model to benfit from a USB 3.0? thanks.

17. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Thu 26th Dec 2013 : 5 years ago

Not sure about that mate,I can't see how it would improve the performance of the Tascam unit though,if your using usb3 I'd be inclined to get a device that's specifically tailored for usb3...the biggest problem with older(and discontinued) interfaces is obsolescent drivers,some manufacturers just stop all the support for them...you'll have to dig around on the net for that info,sorry I can't be of more help.

18. 479957

Thanks Dave. U r probably right.

19. 498019
    Tumbleweed : Thu 26th Dec 2013 : 5 years ago

If I needed another backup interfact I would not hesitate to buy a used Tascam....They are very reliable and for features vs price are about the best deal going (I have recommended the same solution to 2 local friends...both very happy with results)....USB 3 ports are backward compatible so they will work fine with your newer machibe...they have been used with WinXP, Vista & 7 and have drivers available for all...no issues...not sure about Win 8...Dave mentioned the options for input, output etc available that make it a really all round solution for recording guitar, midi, mics....Make do solutions are tempting when the budget is hard to come by but often fall short in performance options in the longer run....Anyway...hope you are able to get the music making done Ozzi......Ed

20. 479957

thanks Tumbleweed. that's super helpful.

21. 1154050
    LooperMusicDOTCOM : Sat 1st Mar 2014 : 5 years ago

The least expensive audio interface I've found is about $30 (Behringer UCA202). You would need a 1/4" to RCA adapter, but this is a quick and easy way to plug a guitar into a laptop.

22. 448131
    Megapaul : Tue 20th May 2014 : 5 years ago

This is my magic box : Line6 POD Studio UX2
    USB-Audio Interface for Guitar / Bass / Vocal
    I've got the old Toneport version since 3 years.
    I'm totaly fine with this device ( Got a Line6 XT Live POD / Digitech as well )

+ cheap
    ++ nice GUI ( i use GearBox )
    ++ Bass / Vocal Amp Simulations

- useless without PC
    - sounds of XT 500 are a bit better.

23. 1118799
    Stevejaz : Wed 21st May 2014 : 5 years ago

It's the age old story of what you pay is what you get, so the first question is what do you want to pay. One option that is a little out of left field and a lot of fun if you are a guitarist rather than a keyboard player (and that applies to any other instrument, including voice which can be put through a mic) is a Sonuus i2M music port. It has the limitation of only being monophonic but you get pretty good results apegiating chords. The plus is it not only gives you audio in from your guitar but an audio to midi converter too. If you want poly and can afford it go for the Fishman. Man I would love one of those.

Posts 1 - 23 of 23

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads