Click Here for new free VSTs & plugins added daily

Just A Question

Posts 1 - 13 of 13
  1. 907685
    Blueeskies : Mon 27th May 2013 : 8 years ago

I don't want to post up this MP3 file because I don't know if it'd be ok with the site guidelines. I just recently finished a mash up between two songs and of course I don't have copyrights to the two songs. However, I am the composer of the mash up. I was just wondering if it was ok to upload something like this? Because I'd like to share it to people and let people have it if they liked it. Though this question might seem a bit stupid to some but all in all it is just out of curiosity.

2. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Mon 27th May 2013 : 8 years ago

How can you be the composer of something you didn't create?

3. 605560
    RichieWinn : Mon 27th May 2013 : 8 years ago

Sorry but you're not the composer. You have created a mashup (also known as bastard pop rock) from two songs but you didn't compose anything.

4. 910683
    AmbushJosh : Mon 27th May 2013 : 8 years ago

I would probably put the links to the actual songs in there. Explain vividly that you do not own the material. Just like a remix I suppose. :P

5. 1
    Looperman : Mon 27th May 2013 : 8 years ago

read the terms and conditions. everything is explained in there

6. 907685
    Blueeskies : Tue 28th May 2013 : 8 years ago

I meant that I am the one who created this mash up. I posted this using my phone and I didn't see it correct from created to composer..

7. 566750
    Maxomunz : Tue 28th May 2013 : 8 years ago

Wow guys, bash on him for making a mash-up? I guess none of us are creators then because all you're doing with music is altering pitches of sound. You didn't create the key note on the piano did you? Or the string on the guitar?
    Sorry, I realize this is off topic but I had to say it.

8. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Tue 28th May 2013 : 8 years ago

Nobody is bashing anyone,just questioning the use of the word 'compose' and it's connotations in this case....there's no drama in taking exception to something you don't agree with,like your comment about notes on a piano and strings on a guitar,if you can't extrapolate between an inanimate,inert object and the literal creative forces required to transform it in to a piece of perceptual reality,well it's no wonder your taking things out of context.

9. 258735
    LazarusBlack : Tue 28th May 2013 : 8 years ago

Touchy subject...

In a sense, a mash-up is a remix, or the mixing together of two or more songs..
    You didnt create the songs.but as a DJ, you created a remix.
    Right here in front of me,in the "From the Forums" section, I see a remix that was made of a famous hip-hop group,and uploaded to the site.........soo im really not sure whats considered safe and whats not.

I took a look through the forum category "DJ Lounge" and found some threads where the author of the thread posted links to mixtapes and remixes they've made of famous artists.

DJ Lounge
    https://www.looperman.com/forum/cat/8/dj-lounge

(?)

SS3LDOG }:)-

10. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Tue 28th May 2013 : 8 years ago

Theoretically there is a huge difference between a remix and a mashup (and legally they are 2 different things) because a dude that remixes a song has the right (in a normal situation anyways) to use individual elements of the original songs in conjunction with his own added elements to create a new piece of music (in most cases the copyright still belongs to the original artist/producer or it's split between the original artist/producer and the remixer)...now a mashup is nothing more than a mix between 2 or more songs using filters and time adjustments (depending on the use of effects it can turn into a remix and it's often addressed to as a remix but it's a matter of semantics)..confused yet?

Long story short...the guidelines clearly states that you can't upload anything that you don't have copyright to.

11. 944056
    Darkreine : Tue 28th May 2013 : 8 years ago

I found this online:

Do mashups prima facie infringe copyright in Canada?

In Canada, the rights and obligations of copyright owners and users are set out in the Copyright Act. Section 27 of the Copyright Act states that “[i]t is an infringement of copyright for anyone to do, without the consent of the owner of the copyright, anything that [by the Copyright Act] only the owner of the copyright has the right to do.”57 Each song that has been recorded is protected by multiple rights. Separate rights exist in the sound recording, the performer’s performance embodied in the sound recording, and in the musical work.58 A separate copyright may also exist in the lyrics of the song, which can be considered to be a literary work. These rights can be held by different individuals or entities. The rights of the copyright owners vary depending on which right they own.

I know that this refers to just Canada, but I'm pretty sure that the laws are similar all over the world.

Also copyright can be infringed even if you are not making money. Unless you have the permission of the copyright owner or the works you are mashing up are licensed under Creative Commons, then you are infringing copyright by creating a mashup of those songs. It's unlikely that Fair Use would cover you as it has been interpreted pretty narrowly.

In short if you upload a mashup, you could get your ass sued, so be prepared.

12. 441709
    kerry : Thu 30th May 2013 : 8 years ago

i have seen remixes on looperman i don't think its a prob as long as your not making money of it i don't get what the problem is that's like saying you cant upload covers because you did not write the song and this place is to share your creativity i have heard lots of covers and remixes so i don't think it should be a prob
    all the best
    kerry

13. 1
    Looperman : Thu 30th May 2013 : 8 years ago

this is locked as i gave the answer earlier. please read the terms and conditions

Posts 1 - 13 of 13

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums