Stereo Types

Posts 1 - 25 of 44
  1. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sun 2nd Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

Stereotypes,yes you know the scenario,the common denominator that's applicable to a certain group of people that defines them or confines them...it would be interesting to hear your(true)stories pertaining to music that you've experienced lately...here's one from me.
    I was out driving the other day and as often as not listening to Classical music,which has a relaxing effect I find while venturing into the bedlam of the roads..I'm pulled up at a railway crossing enjoying Albinoni's Adagio in Gminor when up pulls or should I say screeches a lowered,overpowered hoon-mobile,the(young)driver has all the windows down,cigarette in mouth,hat on sideways,stereo blasting so loud you could hear it a mile away(you don't have to guess what genre of music).....the boom gates start to rise,but before it's all clear and the warning lights have stopped flashing off blasts the stereotype in a cloud of burning rubber....is there any test at birth I wonder that could identify miscreants like this or is it the music's fault? (lol)

2. 444193
    StereoMathematics : Sun 2nd Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

wow, so those people are in austrailia too? that fade is kinda startin to phase out here in the states, what with the 25% unemployment rate of people under the age of 25 and the great cash for clunkers campaign that wiped out a majority of the older cars that were ideal for the custom and tuning scene. thats true for where im at, might be different in other parts of the country.

this isnt so much a stereotype, but it seems that i broke through that rhetoric. when i go on lunch at work, i usually sit out in my car, chain smokin while i read the news on my phone. most of the times im blastin madlib, king ghedora, the rza as bobby digital or somethin from boogie down productions, real hip hop stuff. i think most people expect a black dude to listen to that. sometimes i like to listen to some rage against the machine, john coltrane-had the shaolin soul sessions goin one time. go back into the shop after work and mostly the same people come up to me and ask "you listen to jazz!!!!!?" or "you like rock music!!!!?". im sure if you ever met me, you would understand their bewilderment.

3. 636839
    simmerdown : Sun 2nd Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

seems pretty harmless, compared to say, hunting Aboriginal people in the outback, getting sent 10,000 miles for stealing bread, or the eating vegamite by the tub...all things perpetrated by the generation that cant drive, see, or hear, yet longs for the good ole days...yeh, stereotypes suck

4. 366784
    yeshintae : Sun 2nd Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

i luv stereotypes... like
    how asians are straight edge peeps
    that drug out on pills and listen
    to trance all day... ahahahahha

Peace from LA

5. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sun 2nd Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

Maybe it's the vegemite level in my blood or my busted hearing aid or I'm exhausted from all that hunting...but in all the comments I've read from you there's never any humour,not even a suggestion of it..sad really,you come across as broken somehow.

6. 372886
    Bilbozo : Sun 2nd Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

Simmerdown, you know, you will get old too. Unfortunately you'll likley be treated with even less respect than you have provided to PJB here. I consider those snide remarks an attack on a generation who deserves a little more credit and respect. Stereotype? I think you may have just stereotyped yourself and in very bad taste I might add.

As each generation becomes more comfortable with their true selves and showing their true colors, it reminds me of how I was as a younger person. I too did things that were wrong for my older generation because I did not understand the importance of who they were...the lives they lived and what they brought to give you the life you have today.

It kind of makes me sad...but more worried, because by the time yu enstill what useless values you have to your own childern...mayube their version of disrepesting parents is to just put them out of their misery.

Simmerdown...yes stereotypes suck...unfortunately you just made yourself part of that category. Take it as you like and call myself and PJB a bunch of dinosaurs and what have you. We know when you reach our age...if this is what you have to offer...your medicine from the next generation will be far worse than you just dealt to us. Best of luck on that.

7. 782612
    40A : Mon 3rd Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

I'm an African American, and every time i mention to someone that i'm a producer they're always like "so you make beats" :(

Even if it is true! I could totally make...electronic, and i have entry level piano skills ::cries::

Stereo is right, all that stuff died out around here a while ago. Sorry to hear you're having to deal with it down unda.

8. 785410
    NDNDM21 : Mon 3rd Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

I like to be a stereo type because when people come up to you and ask what you listen to and you give them a different genre of music and their like what? Like for example I remember when I use to listen to punk rock and be anti political and dress like a punk (minus the make up and spiky hair) and one day the teacher ask what music came from the 40's and no one knew any artist from the 40's and I answered so many artist that they were in awe that I knew so many and they were probably like WTF P.S. Hi PJB hahaha

9. 715796
    Reficul1889 : Mon 3rd Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

Here's the thing though, stereotypes for young people are subject to change, as I'm sure PJB can attest to being one of our elder loopers; the same situation taking place 30 years ago would look quite different. It will be interesting to experience what that look and sound becomes.

10. 605560
    RichieWinn : Mon 3rd Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

It's just outrageous sometimes! The disrespect shown here by simmerdown is appalling. Dave Marshall writes with wit and integrity and I think, at the very least, is owed an apology.

Anyone got any views on civil rights in Bhutan?

11. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Mon 3rd Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

I was but a mere child during the 1960's U.S. Civil rights era. But before all that Greats like Chuck Berry, one of the pioneers of Rock music, broke down stereotypes in music here.

During the 1960's, the years I grew up in, the living legend Berry Gordy brings us Motown and a huge stable of Platinum and Solid Gold Record recording artists. Up to that point their where no major black own recording labels.

Stereotypes sometimes divides us. But Music seems to be that one thing that unites more people than any other social class indicator. This is one of the reason why we have so many genres today. It is because people have taken in account other peoples experiences and influences which is one of the key factors at squashing stereotypes. So I advocate for more STEREO and less TYPES!

12. 749715
    LoopnFLlover : Mon 3rd Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

I've been a music lover since I was 8 years old (read 22 years now). Living in the southern US a lot what you hear blasting from vehicles is country or rap. Country is the only music I don't listen to, oddly enough. Sometimes in rush hour traffic I used to roll down all my windows, don my propeller hat, and throw some Nightwish, Trans-Siberean Orchestra, or even Beethoven into the player and crank up my 2000 watt system and headbang just for shock value. More than once I've had people wave me down or honk for my attention just to ask what I was listening to because they liked it.

The music is out there people, sadly, just haven't been exposed to it. There are no trance stations where I live. There are several top billboard stations, classic rock(70s-80s mostly), country, and a few hip-hop stations.

What gets me is the sub-genres! There seems to be 10 or more per genre. If I finish a song and go to post it I start scrolling through sub-genres and think "um.. heck I dunno! It's just music to me!"

13. 739907
    stem0man : Mon 3rd Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

I heard PlanetJazzBass was in that 1986 Michael Hutchinson movie "Dogs in Space". I myself was listening to that Front 242 song "Over the Shoulder" and kept hearing him say "The Usenet Koala is Over the Shoulder". Then there's Fosters beer and that Jamie guy on HGTV.

ME@ IS MURDER

14. 512025
    CyberSon : Mon 3rd Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

JEEZ!!! Another confrontational thread! Get back to the Music!

15. 736426
    BEATZMODE : Mon 3rd Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

got to agree with cyberson..lets all just get back to the music,

16. 347760
    PortraitOfABlackHole : Mon 3rd Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

PJB: Did this individual hurt you directly in any way? did he make a snide ramark at you? flip you the bird? no. Sure maybe he is a typical young guy such as myself, but theres a big differnce between being a stereo type, and being disrespectfull.

I drive around in big-ish truck (yes, i plan on making it bigger, and there isnt much suped-up cars around here, so trucks such as mine ARE the stereotype) smoke, and listen to loud music, rap, rock, meatal, techno, dubstep and such. Now i dont particuallry floor the throttle off the every light, but somtimes i do. that dosnt mean i respect the people around me any less. I do turn down my music if im at a light beside a car with small childern in it, becuase i know the language isnt always the best for little kids. but if your 20+ years old and are scared of the f** word, sorry man, thats your problem.

im sure you did things when you were young that your elders didnt totaly approve of, dont even try to tell me you were a perfect little angel. im not trying to attack you, but im just sayin that were not all bad, unsucsessful people just becuse we like our loud music and cigarettes.

17. 636839
    simmerdown : Mon 3rd Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

oh god, all the indignation is hilarious, apologize my ass

i was on-topic and agreed with the premise, stereotypes suck

respect is a two way street, and i doubt planet needs any protecting, he's been slinging the same bs in different formats for 4 years at least

whaaaa

18. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Tue 4th Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

Hey Mixed no worries man...but your missing the point,I have no problems with young people or their music..though I do have issues with attitude when it spills over into reckless and dangerous behaviour especially behind the wheel of a motor vehicle,there's been a spate of rail crossing vehicle fatalities here,there's a $700 on the spot fine for crossing a rail line while lights are flashing.......but that's not the direction I envisaged this thread going..rather the amusing or perplexing stereo typical behaviour(non racial) that people have noticed pertaining to individuals and their musical foibles...sadly like many threads it's been hijacked by a few disgruntled individuals.

19. 636839
    simmerdown : Tue 4th Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

i doubt the original scenario ever happened, or you are just going out looking for it, what about the 1000 other drivers out there who did nothing to push your buttons?

you reap what you sew, and this is at least the 5th thread with the same premise, different wording

20. 785410
    NDNDM21 : Tue 4th Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

Man PJB told you watch what you put down, but what do I know. It's just a simply observation on my part and I have no absolutely no interest in this. And this thread sounds like a exclusively sample based whatever you call them.....you'd have more luck trying to ascertain who has the biggest insecurities and needs an analogous list. Just an opinion on my part that's it.

21. 347760
    PortraitOfABlackHole : Tue 4th Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

well.. musical-sereotypes eh? how about (one that really humors me) is city-slickers who think their all farmers just becuase they listen to country music...

thats a big one around here, and i grew up on a farm, so i find it laugable.

22. 739907
    stem0man : Wed 5th Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

In my opinion "no car no cop no stop". I know for a fact that M.Hutchinson wouldn't wait for no safe light if the train had already passed. M. Hutchinson was a hero and a rebel (at least up to the Kick album) and I bet those Midnight Oil dudes had him killed. HE should have been JIM MORRISON in "The Doors", NOT that Val Kilmer dude! Oh yeah, and Ministry sang that Usenet Koala song, not the Front. Check out some REAL Australian punkers at: http://everhardrock.com/

23. 609523
    3rdNippleMusic : Thu 6th Sep 2012 : 9 years ago

don'tchya love those silly fckn humans. nothing better to do (like makin music or helping each other overcome their 'shared problems' such as food, clothing & shelter) than btchng n whnng about bllsht like 'dis' ?

now THAT'S a fckn stereotype.

you'll see !!!

@3rdNippleMusic

24. 609523

oh look heres another stereo.fckn.type:

corporations.

remember ! we! are the human being.s.tereotyped, cataloged, keptrack off and humiliated on a daily basis. so, stfu n think abouthat for a 'minute' minute.

what we need to do is collaborate... for real. create ltd, corps, nfp's & use caring, sharing & open policies as our core truths then share with each other and use ideas like fight clib to infiltrate tge fckn system they built to keep us poor and them rich. then we create oyr OM govern-mental systems inside theirs & conbect em all together

nexthing u know, bands like santana, floyd, nin, tool, ratm and maybeven metallica 'activate' the billions ofollowers they have and with proper government/instruction change the fckng world. ie: peacefully.

yep, my new stereotype her is resistanxe. cuz 'they' will resist, butgey have no REAL power now do they

so fck off and do it now.

Neal Bitcher (aka Neal Visher)

@3rdNippleMusic

spread the nv ! ! !

25. 609523

seriously,

how many of you 'seriou.sly' see in 3-D ?

really - walk up to a bush n 'look' at it

seee ?

Posts 1 - 25 of 44

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.