Rock Log Book

Posts 1 - 9 of 9
  1. 517340
    xpekt : Thu 2nd Aug 2012 : 5 years ago Ok, so my first thread here has to be the introduction of a Rock log book. I hope that rock and roll fans such as me, can provide their insight on this legendary music style.

As cited in wikipedia - "Rock music is a genre of popular music that originated as "rock and roll" in 1950s America and developed into a range of different styles in the 1960s and later, particularly in the United Kingdom and the United States.[1][2][3] It has its roots in 1940s' and 1950s' rock and roll, itself heavily influenced by rhythm and blues and country music. Rock music also drew strongly on a number of other genres such as blues and folk, and incorporated influences from jazz, classical and other musical sources.

Musically, rock has centered around the electric guitar, usually as part of a rock group with bass guitar and drums. Typically, rock is song-based music usually with a 4/4 time signature utilizing a verse-chorus form, but the genre has become extremely diverse and common musical characteristics are difficult to define. Like pop music, lyrics often stress romantic love but also address a wide variety of other themes that are frequently social or political in emphasis. The dominance of rock by white, male musicians has been seen as one of the key factors shaping the themes explored in rock music. Rock places a higher degree of emphasis on musicianship, live performance, and an ideology of authenticity than pop music."

Now my personal history with this genre and how I got hooked.

I was around 8 and my neighbor was listening to Nirvana and The Offspring. He lend me the cd's and I recorded them on tape to put them on my walkman and I remember that since the first time I heard those dirty guitars,loud drums and raging vocals I got hooked to them and started to develop an interest for the guitar and drums. A funny story is that on my ninth birthday my mom asked me what I wanted for a present and my answer shocked her and later the woman on the music shop - I asked for a limited edition of Nirvana Singles (5 cd's).

After that, all my life has been influenced by music, not just rock I love orchestral pieces and electronic sounds of a synth, for an example and I think that all music types have a place and a time for them.

I hope that all of you members who practise or like rock and roll give a shout in this and give your piece of mind or experiences in this genre that also has alot of subgenres like Alternative, Punk, New Wave, Grunge, Blues Rock, Funk Rock, Indie Rock and so on. And don't forget about fusion genres too.

So, I hope this threads gives some light to the rock scene here and bring your thoughts and a six-pack!

XpekT.
  2. 630386
    JosephFunk : Fri 24th Aug 2012 : 5 years ago XpekT, thanks for an awesome write up. The Beatles, Chuck Berry and the Rolling Stones define and shaped Rock music for me.
  3. 589130
    Spd2 : Sat 25th Aug 2012 : 5 years ago Yeah, finally...a rock log book ( there is a Rock God ).

For me, my first rock experience was back in 1977 (or 78), when Kiss made their movie television debut in Kiss Meets The Phantom. My eyes were glued to the tube like a hawk. From that point on I was a rocker; I wanted to be a guitar player but we were poor, and my mother could not afford a guitar

It wasn't until 3 years later I was hooked to the Beatles, and I heard a particular song called Long Tall Sally. George starts off the song with a a la Chuck Berry riff, and I was blown away. I needed a guitar desperately, and me and money were butting heads. I decided to write to my dad who resided in the island of Puerto Rico and ask him to send me a guitar. I thought to myself " this man budge once to send me a letter, card, or a phone call in years, why would he budge to send me a guitar". But, to my surprise, I received a package from UPS, and I quickly opened it, and received an acoustic guitar. I was blown away, and that guitar stayed with me everywhere I went. If I'd ride a bike, my guitar was strap on my back. No girlfriends, no friends...just me an my six strings. I'd practice for hours and hours, sometimes 6-8 hours a day. That day will forever be engraved in my heart, I am the player I am today because of on simple cool Beatle lick, and my dad was there for me. Long live rock, I salute you.

Pete
  4. 512025
    CyberSon : Sat 25th Aug 2012 : 5 years ago OK, so this is a cool thread.

As a 70s child, I grew up to the sounds of my Dad's music, which was Queen, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Pik Floyd, David Bowie and many, many others. I loved the variety and the energy of the music. As I grew up, I listened to literally all sorts of music, but always had rock music in my heart.

In my teens, I was into bands like Motorhead, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Testament, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Rollin, jeez, too many to mention. I went to many gigs whenever bands were touring. You just can't escape how special the live sound is. I was fortunate to have gone to Glastonbury and Reading festivals and still happilly recall the live acts. The best gigs I can remember were by Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, RHCP and Faith No More, they were awesome live.

I sang in a punk rock band during the late 80s early 90s. I wasn't the best vocalist, but I was an entertaining front man. I used to always throw myself off the amps or into the drums like a demented nutter, which is why my body is so knackered now lol

Yeah, rock introduced me to music. Despite my love of electronic music, I still have to blast my Slipknot and System of a Down CDs loud and proud!

Oh btw, I remember (not too much) going to a Fudge Tunnel gig. The mosh pit was dangerous. I broke two fingers, my nose and had mild concussion, but it was freeking awesome!
  5. 589130
    Spd2 : Sat 25th Aug 2012 : 5 years ago Paul, I have to hear you sing sometime, do you plan to lay vocals on any of your upcoming tracks? Let her rip baby : )
  6. 589130
    Spd2 : Sat 25th Aug 2012 : 5 years ago I threw myself in a moshpit once and I swear I felt like a ball in a pinball machine, lol. If I did that now, I'd probably be picking up my limbs. But that's rock and roll baby, it comes in many shapes and sizes...yeah, baby, yeah.
  7. 512025
    CyberSon : Sat 25th Aug 2012 : 5 years ago Ha ha, me sing again? I'd clear users from Looperman within minutes!

Joking aside Pete, I'm still working on that piece we did together (I haven't neglected it by any means!). Just gotta improve my gear so that I can get a decent input / output from my mic.

In terms of entering a mosh pit now, I would crumble into dust! Plus, my Son has banned me from any form of dancing / moving what so ever, because I'm that age where it's considered embarrassing!

But, ROCK ON!
  8. 739907
    stem0man : Mon 18th Feb 2013 : 4 years ago To me, the term "rock" is a general term used by media personalities to neatly describe a type of music that features guitar, drums, bass, and (usually) singing. It's sort of the "alternative music" label of yesteryear.

For instance, Chuck Berry would be "rockabilly". Though, you could probably subdivide rockabilly into subgenres for greater clarification. So, maybe "surf rockabilly"?

Subgenres to your "name"-rock genre helps listeners to easier find music that sounds similar.

What the rock genre is is definitely NOT metal. Metal has similar instruments, but takes a much harsher tone, though it might be played slower (heavy metal) or faster (thrashmetal).

Personally, I'd like to see some greater clarification of the rock genres in the future. So far, I've got:
    Acid Rock (Jethro Tull, Jefferson Airplane)
    Metal Rock (Hendrix, The Who)
    Psychedelic Rock (The Church)

But then there's rock from:
    Tom Petty, Bryan Adams, Sheryl Crow, John Mellencamp, Bonnie Raitt
    ...and I haven't thought of a good name for THAT type of rock. Any suggestions? BTW, I don't think Midwest Rock or Heartland Rock is appropriate as this style of rock has been probably pretty popular worldwide (at various stages of history).

---------------------Nightstalkers
    ------------------------wErE
    ------------------------------Here!
  9. 517340
    xpekt : Mon 18th Feb 2013 : 4 years ago Hello rock buddies!!!

Man so thrilled you all stopped by this thread :)

Does anyone seen the Sound City Movie? that movie's message is exactly why I love Rock N' Roll and I highly recommend it to everyone who's influenced by this type of music...

Keep the rock fire burning!!!

XpekT.
Posts 1 - 9 of 9

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Electronic Track