RIP Donna Summer Queen Of Disco

Posts 1 - 10 of 10
  1. 1
    Looperman : Thu 17th May 2012 : 10 years ago

Another one gone today.

Seventies icon and 5 time Grammy Award winner Donna Summer died today at the age of 63 in Florida after suffering from lung cancer for some time.

Known as the Queen of disco, real name LaDonna Gaines is best known for her string of hits in the 70s including I Feel Love, Hot Stuff, On The Radio & Love To Love You Baby.

Radio 1 in the UK even banned Love To Love You Baby saying that it had explicit content.

A true legend

http://www.donnasummer.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/donnasummer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donna_Summer

2. 731285
    djkillapaul : Thu 17th May 2012 : 10 years ago

I remember the ban! Radio 1 was the devil's picturebook! Sexy and mysterious and I had crush on her when I was a 13 year old. She and Moroder were a force together and nothing beats the original 12 inch vinyl of I Feel Love. Will be missed.

3. 770905
    TruthLoveTrust : Thu 17th May 2012 : 10 years ago

Whoa!!! When did she die ?

4. 600461
    visionarysoundsystem : Thu 17th May 2012 : 10 years ago

Ah man the sound of the fairground. As a scroat of a teenager. I Feel Love pumping out the speakers as the waltzers spin, the Dodgems crash and the smell of smoke and candyfloss asails the nostrils. The taste of cheap cider on your breath and the thick taste of lipstick on the mouths of the girls you steal kisses from. RIP Ms Donna. Thanx for sharing your voice with us.

5. 512025
    CyberSon : Fri 18th May 2012 : 10 years ago

A truly sad moment, the loss of a real legend (I can hear I Feel Love in my head as I write).

@VSS - Hey my friend, I felt every word you said as it took me back in time!

6. 666289
    FreeRadical : Fri 18th May 2012 : 10 years ago

Seem like there's one every week just lateley.
    RIP Donna Summer. Gone but not forgotten.

7. 174317
    smallpaul : Fri 18th May 2012 : 10 years ago

RIP Donna, a pioneer in her sound, and her music defined a generation!! Poor Radio 1 the Mecca and guardian of good taste and moral standards!! ha ha

8. 318543
    profplum : Fri 18th May 2012 : 10 years ago

i heard somewhere that more children were concieved to Barry Whites music than any other artist,but i would like to make a guess that Donna's "i feel love" gets the most for an individual track. IMO it contains the best loop ever
    RIP thanx for some great tracks....

9. 308224
    theHumps : Fri 18th May 2012 : 10 years ago

Her real name was LaDonna Adrian Gaines and was born in the Boston Suburb of Dorchester. Another Bean town talent.

That's sad, she was the poster child for disco in the 70's. Man I despised disco, there were "disco sucks" album burning events in baseball stadiums in the 70's here in the US. But ya know, Donnas' album Love to Love You Baby was played in my house all the time as a teenager. She was such a talent.

@ profplum I heard the same thing about Barry White, lol.

10. 614554
    Mykael : Sun 20th May 2012 : 10 years ago

Even with her nineteen or so number one singles, multiple Grammy's and staying power, I think she was still quite underrated. I got the opportunity to see her in concert about five years ago. Her lung power was amazing, and her voice showed zero signs of aging.

MacArthur Park Suite is definitely ranked number one on my ESSENTIAL DONNA SUMMER LIST!

Heaven just acquired another Angelic Voice!

Posts 1 - 10 of 10

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.