Losing Quality Importing Wav File Into FL Studio

Posts 1 - 23 of 23
  1. 316780
    Apieceoftofu : Sun 13th May 2012 : 10 years ago

Hey guys, I exported a Wav file (my full track) from Reason using a 24 bit bit depth at 44,100 herz. This sounds great when I play it in Itunes. However, when I import this into FL Studio for some final editing the wav file becomes a bit diffuse and fuzzy as well as having some problems where it sounds similar to like when instruments in the original track are competing for frequency space with individual instrument levels seeming to fluctuate. I dont know the exact term for this so I hope ive described the difference from the Itunes played wav and the imported Fl studio wav well enough for you to help me out. I would like to know how to import it into fl studio exactly the way it sounds when played in Itunes. Thanks.

2. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Sun 13th May 2012 : 10 years ago

You must be doing something wrong cause after importing it the file should sound the same there. There aren't any changes taking place when you import something into FL.

3. 672953
    Ozzz : Sun 13th May 2012 : 10 years ago

Tofu,

I used to get the same problem. Id export the WAV "mastered", and then import it into another music making program with mastering plugins active in the mixer. In other words you might be doubling up on your mastering without even knowing it..

Enjoy.

4. 63133
    RogueAi : Sun 13th May 2012 : 10 years ago

Could be a sample rate/bit depth issue. What's the setting in FL?

5. 538393
    Unknown User : Sun 13th May 2012 : 10 years ago

Might be a problem with iTunes, not FL. I stopped using iTunes a while back as the new versions (Mac) make everything bass heavy and crappy (technical term there). But, maybe not, if it sounds fine in Reason.

As I'm thinking of it, does anyone know why iTunes sounds crazy? It used not to. I've tried EQing it all sorts of ways and can't get it to sound anything like the original from Logic or Media Player (which sound the same).

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but it seemed daft to start a new one. Hope you sort out the problem, it can be a real, time-consuming nightmare and might be something simple in the end.

One more thought, but it may be way off... Logic sometimes does mental things with files imported from other DAWs, e.g. Garageband. Sometimes, if I delete a track in Logic which I had imported from GB, and then import a new part from elsewhere, the new part doesn't open in a clean track, but one with the settings from the previous, deleted one. I don't have any experience with FL, but I'm sure you've checked the settings anyway, so it's probably not that.

6. 316780

Oh nevermind I just figured it out. The standard limiter that is put onto every FL track by default was still on and was ducking down my levels and ruining everything. thanks for all the replies anyways.

7. 625412
    Redgold : Sun 13th May 2012 : 10 years ago

When start a new project in FL, it put a limiter on the master (first fader on the mixer), i always mute or remove that.
    Also check the FL audio settings(options/audio settings), meybe set the in/output driver to ASIO.

Peace!

8. 672953

F*** ima gun, should be hired as a technical help-desk..

9. 631823

Wow! Don't you guys usually start with an empty preset?

Why would you import a track into the mixer with mastering plugins active? Shouldn't the plugins be track dependent?

10. 672953

Mahloo,

FL Studios by default has a master limiter sitting in the mixer. If you import an already mastered WAV into it, it will again semi-master it, thus distorting it and as for the second and third question, its a habit that goes down hard. Its a headache to explain.

11. 366784
    yeshintae : Sun 13th May 2012 : 10 years ago

yea Malu, it's crazy why they would put a limiter
    on the master track on the default template ahahahaha

Peace from LA

12. 316780

if anyone cares to check out the track that this question was regarding im just uploading it now. check my profile. its a big room progressive track.

13. 444193
    StereoMathematics : Sun 13th May 2012 : 10 years ago

i thought fruity loops was a sequencer, therefore by design terrible for trying to do masters in. ive seen this before i know i have, but someone said that they would use audacity to do there mixing as well as mastering when using fl as their primary daw. you should check out the blog, get that free copy of live lite, thats really all i use live for now days is puttin the final touches on a track. still dont mean i know what im doin, but it works better than maschine for that step.

@silverpaw
    everything sounds crappy in itunes because, well to be blunt, itunes itself is crappy. steve jobs dont run apple no more, so what little attention to software quality was there is gone now. try a real player like winamp. too bad tho, seems youre runnin a mac system, so you will be stuck with winamp for mac in a beta version.

14. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 13th May 2012 : 10 years ago

FL studio is good for mastering if you have good plugins to master with, not so good if you're using their default FX. Sorry to get off topic.

15. 666289
    FreeRadical : Sun 13th May 2012 : 10 years ago

I like the limiter on the master track. It means you can crank everything up as you mix and then when you run out of headroom, Bingo! with a few tweaks you have some more.
    But yeah, It is annoying if you forget that it's there.

16. 444193
    StereoMathematics : Sun 13th May 2012 : 10 years ago

@spiv ah, makes sense.

17. 538393

Thanx Stereo. I've almost stopped listening to music on the computer so bad is the sound quality from iTunes. Haven't had any time to investigate alternatives.

@Tofu... so it was the settings... is it possible to set up a default template project in FL with your own custom settings?

18. 631823

@Silverpaw - You mean when you playback your tune on itunes it sounds differently? Running it fine here without any probs....

19. 631823

You might have the EQ enabled with one of those settings messing the sound up.

20. 625412
    Redgold : Sun 13th May 2012 : 10 years ago

To open FL with your own costom settings, go to folder

Program Files\Image-Line\FL Studio 9\Data\Projects\Templates\Minimal\Basic with limiter

and change this "FL studio project file'
    here you can remove the limiter in the master track, and add the plugins you always start with, then save it.
    now you always have this setting when you open FL, or when you start a new project.

peace!

21. 538393

@Mahloo... I've tried everything and iTunes still sounds totally different. Huge bass boom and quality loss regardless of what I do with the EQ. My old version was fine. I finally found a solution, though... I d/l'ed Winamp earlier and it sounds fine... thanks SM... hmm, better use your full name from now on, those initials could be misinterpreted.

22. 229129
    CONEYISLANDRECORDS : Mon 14th May 2012 : 10 years ago

@ Regold. I have saved my own template with all the usual stuff I would use and all ran into the mixer the way I normally would set it up.
    Saves me time. This way I can just start working on music right away with out having to go through as much of the tedious leg work of starting from scratch.

23. 63133
    RogueAi : Mon 14th May 2012 : 10 years ago

I use this for my audio player:
    http://www.foobar2000.org/

Beats the crap out of Itunes and Windows Media Player.

I used to use Winamp but this player stuck with me.

Posts 1 - 23 of 23

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.