2 Much Dubstep Right

Posts 1 - 25 of 40
  1. 758039
    Krore : Tue 8th May 2012 : 7 years ago

Why is there so much dubstep?

For a musicians forum centered on the underground, I would have expected this wonderful place to be one step ahed of teh curve. But Dubstep is all over the place, and much of it sounds pretty unbearable. I do not have a problem with the type, I enjoy good dubstep like most my age but there must be some kind of mental and/or creative block here if most of it sounds like a car crash.

my question, therefore, is, shouldnt music make you want to turn the volume up rather than down? ofcours, Im new here so I have not yet gone thru all the dubstep songs here, but a listen thru the last hundred or so have left me thinking that most if not all dubstep productionists prefer the template kick + snare + too much bass + vocal of someone saying something nasty or wierd, and then repeat.

It's like good music gets filtered and whats left behind in the filter is dubstep. I love all kinds of music, especially house, and will be quick to ask the same question about house if it ever became hijacked by bad taste.

But house music always innovates into something sexy, always morphs and pushes the envelope when it becomes too much of the same thing.

Am I wrong? please do tell

2. 268784
    3n0 : Tue 8th May 2012 : 7 years ago

same thing happend with "hip hip invasion" on this site few months back...
    it was 10 tracks hip hop than one house or rap...same thing with dubstep now...skrillex is the one to blame!

3. 666289
    FreeRadical : Tue 8th May 2012 : 7 years ago

I know a bunch of people who listen to a lot of dubstep and the main contributing factor seems to be that they all do a lot of ketamine as well. Just seeing all of them lolling about incapable of performing simple tasks such as standing up, or talking any kind of coherent sense puts me off. When i go out (which isn't much these days) i like something a bit uplifting and faster paced that i can jump about to and have a bit of fun. Not something where the aim seems to be sitting in a dark corner with a pair of pants full of p*ss because i've lost the ability to walk.

4. 1
    Looperman : Tue 8th May 2012 : 7 years ago

It sure is the flavour of the month. wait till we start seeing threads asking "Is DubStep Dead" and then we know its taken over.

As an act of balance Ive just been arranging this months loop pack give away and the theme will be HOUSE

Bring on the deep / funky / council house invasion

not sure if council house is an actual genre though or if it is if its recognised as official on the house scene.

5. 73162
    HMNN : Tue 8th May 2012 : 7 years ago

As always the time will show what is what. Modern commercial dubstep has lack of ideas (you bet), has overload of sharp rude bass, has too crisp sound and contains many other things that lots of people dislike and because of which I do not really understand massive popularity of the genre (why not D'n'B xD). Dstep may have got beautiful melody, nice pianos/strings, astonishing famous female vocals and overall be a club-banger, but looking deeper the emperor has no clothes imo.
    Nowadays many-many of young dubstep "lovers" and listeners are victims of fashion and style , they just eat what they are fed by big names, magazines, billboards, friends and surrounding people.
    But it is a life, everybody makes their own choices, consciously or not, so I can't and won't blame them nor complain. Until the government forces me to listen to dubstep 2h a day :)

6. 666289

@Shan - I thought that council house music was the theme tune to the Jeremy Kyle show.
    @HMNN - You're right. Anything that starts off as an underground sound will always be infiltrated by the cheese mongers.
    Personally I prefer to just stick to making things i like the sound of and the genre's probably the least important thing about it. I have heard the odd dupstep tune that i've quite liked but as already stated most of it just seems to go wub wub wub wub wub wub wub. I can make a similar noise at home by emptying out my bath tub "glug glug glug glug".
    But yeah, I guess consumerism and fashion is alive and kicking. Remember kids! Eat Burgers! Chew gum & always wear clothes with a label. The man on the telly says it's cool so it must be.

7. 517658
    dv8 : Tue 8th May 2012 : 7 years ago

I remember back in 2009 when dubstep was blowing up here. There seemed to be infinite variations back then, but I suppose as has been pointed out above, it's become clogged with garbage.

Technically, there's still some pretty darned good dubstep here, but having to peel away the layers to get to it makes it hard.

Krore we should meet up and make some sweet spaced out dubstep with skanky vibes and a rasta vocal shot all delayed out to infinity. You being in Islamabad and all.

In a better world, Jahknow would have been one of the first to reply to your post. He knew stuff.

8. 636839
    simmerdown : Tue 8th May 2012 : 7 years ago

hmmm...deciding which of the 6 possible responses would be best...better get my coffee first

9. 512025
    CyberSon : Tue 8th May 2012 : 7 years ago

Hmmmm, in my opinion, I think dubstep has gained a somewhat negative response since it exploded onto the mainstream spectrum.

I mean, I was personally a bit narked, when Britney Spears decided she was the founder of the genre when she employed Rusko to make her comeback more current http://www.clashmusic.com/news/britney-spears-goes-dubstep

Thing is genres come and go as fashions change in life. Lets not forget The Beatles were pioneers of an age and music forever after. However, their initial press wasn't that cool because they were considered a "trend" for a new generation! And on that subject, the rest is history.

I'm not suggesting that dubstep would ever have that type of impact, but it's current and important to listeners who love it. You know, I've been working a lot with my "industrial" influenced music. I've had teenagers and a few older listeners say "what the hell is this?", so it all goes through cycles of what essentially is current and popular for the masses. Some genres will always live on becuase they are unique. I thought dubstep was unique when it first hit the airwaves, but too many artists seem to have copied the safe and secure version. But then, that could be argued about every different element of rock / metal music and everything else I guess?

10. 666289

Britney Spears doing Dub Step? That one somehow passed me by.
    I liked her track "toxic" though.
    But to be fair on Britney it doesn't really matter what she does anymore, everyones seen her minge. (& if you haven't then just google it for christs sake. I'm not posting a link to that)

11. 400188
    AllenV : Tue 8th May 2012 : 7 years ago

What is Dubstep?

12. 400188
    AllenV : Tue 8th May 2012 : 7 years ago

Just kidding...I don't belong in this thread:)

13. 366784
    yeshintae : Tue 8th May 2012 : 7 years ago

LMFAO FR...
    can't believe you talking about brit's cave
    at a time like this ahahahahaha

Peace from LA

14. 365820
    WongKiShoo : Tue 8th May 2012 : 7 years ago

Ha.. nice input Allen lol

The thing with dubstep imo is that trademark wobble has been wayyyyyyy over used. The "yoy" bass is getting annoying too..

The only dubstep I *do* like is commercial dubstep that incorporates some saw leads - Clubstep it should be called. Hmmm maybe I should coin that phrase if it hasn't been already..

Dj Fresh - Louder = PERFECT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE-dwpWpscU

15. 308224
    theHumps : Tue 8th May 2012 : 7 years ago

@ FR I had never heard the song Toxic until I heard this band do it. This is the band that got me interested in playing the mandolin, Chris Thile is incredible mandolin player. Not the best quality vid but it still a great rendition.

16. 308224
  17. 666289

@Wayne - I enjoyed that. I've not heard of Nickel Creek before but they certainly did a good job of that cover.
    @Allen - You can come back now. Waynes posted something that doesn't just sound like a hiddeous noise to people from your generation.
    @Wonkishoe - You have a knack for making stuff sound good so i don't doubt your taste in dubstep would be would deviate from that level. In fact, I recon you could probably make a good track with this if you tried http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juD3nWpUunU
    @Yeshintae - I wasn't talking about Brits Cave. It's one of the worst tourist destinations i've ever been to, Only just knocked into third place behind Devon's "Barrometer World" and the "Cumberland Pencil Museum" in the Lake District.

18. 365820
    WongKiShoo : Tue 8th May 2012 : 7 years ago

HAHA! It appears somebody already beat me to it FR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP3nvtyB1jc&feature=related

19. 749324
    RoseErin : Tue 8th May 2012 : 7 years ago

Im from the hardstyle scene and personally ive only seen a love hate response to dubstep:good or bad.

I think its all very silly: Music isnt abut genres, its about style.Everyones got their own and theyll grow the way they grow.Popularity fluctuates but the music never dies.

20. 636839
    simmerdown : Tue 8th May 2012 : 7 years ago

"minge"! LOL, adding that to my UKisms cheatsheet...

21. 268784
    3n0 : Tue 8th May 2012 : 7 years ago

will this genre ever be popular???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbhiO_UQf_E

22. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Wed 9th May 2012 : 7 years ago

Damn!..I started going into this long esoteric rave about the accretion of creative focus and suddenly realised I'd probably stepped on hundreds of toes,so as in your reaction to the dumbing down of Dubstep,I in the avoidance of making waves have dumbed my response down........Dubstep,wtf is that?

23. 148420
    AdamVelerez : Wed 9th May 2012 : 7 years ago

An interesting thread,

For instance, i prefer nice smooth basslines which are a bit edgy and some nice tight production and slowish female vocals over the top.

It's all down to personal taste, however a lot of people have gone mad with bit-crushers and the likes! so it's not surprising we hear so many crazy/nasty sounds. ;)

there is a fair bit of none grimey, none gritty dubstep out there it's just finding it lol

24. 444193
    StereoMathematics : Wed 9th May 2012 : 7 years ago

so what im getting at is that dubstep with a synth that goes BARANGHWAOMOMOMOMOMOGREHANGHGNGGGGGGBBRRBAHRERRERRERRERRERRZ
    is considered to be bad and is no longer accepted?
    what about the dark, complex and sometimes experimental dubstep? not quite goin into 2-step or half-step, but mix them with a 140is tempo. you know, make that filthy wonkey stuff go wash up in the shower? with real soap, not that fragrent body wash stuff.
    like this. is this satisfactory? https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/125361
    if so, i got more.

25. 715796
    Reficul1889 : Wed 9th May 2012 : 7 years ago

I think this is a little unfair. I used to speak this way about the genre. Then I tried to make it one day, and I really liked what I had done and had loads of fun with it. It seems to me that this is one of those cases of taste. I can list constants in many other genres too; Industrial/distorted vocals, Trance/Arps, Dirty South Hip Hop/saw waves and highhats, etc. etc. Doesn't make them less interesting or boring.

Posts 1 - 25 of 40

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads