See our Outer Space RE-201 emulator By AudioThing Review

How Do I Send Midi With Alesis Io Dock For IPad

Posts 1 - 12 of 12
  1. 746399
    Daddytine : Sun 22nd Apr 2012 : 9 years ago

Hi people, just wonder if anyone has an alesis io dock that can help me? I can't send midi messages from it, has anyone else experienced this?

2. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Sun 22nd Apr 2012 : 9 years ago

I don't have one but I've looked it up and it has a midi out connection so it should send info out as well. Do you have anything connected on the midi out connector?

Also did you configure the midi out port in your DAW on the iPad so that it know what to send out?

3. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Sun 22nd Apr 2012 : 9 years ago

Are you trying to send Sysex messages? If so then you are out of luck as it's not supported.

4. 746399
    Daddytine : Mon 23rd Apr 2012 : 9 years ago

Hi Mahloo13, thanks for replying I'm tearing my hair out with this! How do I configure the midi out port in the DAW on my Ipad? What I am trying to do with it is use my beatmaker 2 app or garage band to trigger my electibes to play so I can get a nice crisp beginning for my loops. Would that be considered a Sysex message? Cheers mate!

5. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Mon 23rd Apr 2012 : 9 years ago

Well I don't use it and I don't use Garage Band either but there must be a setting on the midi channel you are trying to send from to choose where it outputs. And I assume you've connected the device you are trying to send midi to...using the Midi Out on connector on the IO Dock?

6. 157207
    StarTropix : Mon 23rd Apr 2012 : 9 years ago

Make sure you change your devices (electribes) clock from internal (int.) to external (ext.) that way they will automatically look for a signal to be triggered by. I am not sure what the ipad does, but I'm sure if it has a DAW or another program that creates MIDI messages, it will have a 'preferences' menu that will let you change your MIDI preferences. Make sure to turn your MIDI outs on, or even to the 'sync' option if it has one... try fiddling with the midi preferences on both.

7. 746399

Thanks for your help guys, I dont think the dock will actually support the type of messages i want it to but hoping to speak to alesis about it soon.... the other problem is that it only works when the ipad is fully charged.... really odd product this one! help!

8. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Mon 23rd Apr 2012 : 9 years ago

You want it to change patches and such on the hardware synth? It won't work according to the Alesis forum. It seems sysex has been a problem for quite a while.

I guess you'd find better answers on the Alesis forum.

Cheers!

9. 746399

hey thanks, i think i will check their forums out. I've been on the phone to alesis for a while now and they reckon it should trigger my electibes to play so they are sending me a firmware update. I'm going to make sure my ipad ios is up to date too but i doubt this will make any difference! I'm having weird issues with power on it also - I can basically only get it to work if my ipad is charged up 100%! what a nightmare! How about if I've been out and about all day and have to wait hours for it to charge before I use it? Unbelievable! Thankyou very much for your help though!

10. 746399
    Daddytine : Wed 25th Apr 2012 : 9 years ago

Just a quick note to anyone interested, I think I've finally got it working! It's taken numerous phone calls to alesis and apple, plus bugging you guys on here and trawling various forums but I think at last it's doing the right stuff! If anyone ever needs any help with one of these things drop me a line, I'll be more than happy to help! Cheers!

11. 1
    Looperman : Wed 25th Apr 2012 : 9 years ago

post what the solution was for future ref

12. 746399
    Daddytine : Wed 25th Apr 2012 : 9 years ago

The main solution is keeping the firmware on the dock and the io software on the iPad up to date I think! I have had issues with power also because my iPad wasn't fully charged which I have tested rigorously but not sure yet if this issue is resolved coz I daren't let my iPad battery get too low at the moment! Ill be updating this thread incase anyone needs assistance but I'm still testing it all out so I can't be 100% sure of anything right now... So many things I've had to try that it's hard to list all the problems I've had to resolve... I think it will be worth it in the end tho!

Posts 1 - 12 of 12

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums