It seems that some users are having issues with their IP being blocked for no reason.
The issue should now be resolved.

Support The Looperman Blog

Posts 1 - 25 of 51
  1. 1
    Looperman : Sun 15th Apr 2012 : 7 years ago

Just wanted to make a quick announcement regards the blog.

I've been making a effort to try and get the blog up and running and organise some regular posts in there. Ive been in touch with loads of companies and people who have interesting things to share and feature and have a handful of posts being written by them and myself.

The few posts that have gone up so far have received little or no response from everyone which is a shame and doesn't exactly inspire me to keep making them. I will though as I know the huge benefits something like this will bring to the site as a whole.

Heres a few reasons why you should support it and how you can help.

The main thing the blog will do is bring people to the site that are not only looking for loops. The vast majority of people come here on the hunt for a freebie and some of them stick around and get involved. As the blog starts to fill up with interesting and informative content and people start to find that in search engines and by people linking back to us on their sites or facebook and twitter etc youll see a different crowd of people heading this way. By Different I mean people with an interest in more then just loops. This can only be a good thing.

Another thing that will happen is that the percentage of what we politely call guest users will shift as more people arrive here looking for information rather then downloads. To make a post anywhere here these days you need to get yourself an avatar. Once someone goes that far they usually get more involved too.

The blog is also a space where you guys can get involved. The forums are ok up to a level but you cant post images, videos, link in audio files etc. In the blog all of that is possible.

I invite anyone who feels like writing an article or tutorial etc to get in touch with me and we can make it happen. Although only I have access to create blog posts all you have to do is send me over the info and I then collate that into a post.

As we share all the blog posts on the facebook page and twitter and allow others to share them its a great way to get stuff out there.

Anyone who supplies some content is credited at the bottom as an author with links back to their own page / website etc so again a great way to gain exposure.

My aim has always been to make this a place to learn and to share rather then yet another place to promote yourself and I think the blog could be a massive boost in the right direction as far as that goes.

As I said at the start though its success does come down to the people who visit the site though and how they support it and get involved. The more popular it gets the more chance we have of talking companies into offering things up and the more articles get created.

Ive already got an article on how to get your tracks pressed to vinyl on the go, a follow up to the 10 Essential Tips to Prepare your Mix for Mastering post and the go ahead to offer up a massive sample pack competition every month.

So, there may not be much there yet but its started. Get involved, leave your comments on the blog posts, enter the competitions, share them on facebook, twitter, other sites and forums etc, come up with ideas for new posts and maybe even submit some of your own.

2. 666289
    FreeRadical : Sun 15th Apr 2012 : 7 years ago

Well i read it whenever there's an update but if it's comments your after, then comments you shall have.

3. 1

comments, input, suggestions, articles, tutorials

anything to help build it up and make it better

4. 308224
    theHumps : Sun 15th Apr 2012 : 7 years ago

I read the article on the triple neck acoustic guitar the other day, pretty interesting and informative. I'm not sure how we are to respond to something like that. Are you just looking for acknowledgement that we are reading the blogs or are you looking to get some kind of feedback on them.

My guess is that people are looking at them, they seem to cover a decent range of topics so far.

5. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Sun 15th Apr 2012 : 7 years ago

This should be interesting if it goes in the tutorials area as well as there are a lot of questions that could be answered by simply pointing people towards a tutorial or two.

If people also get involved it's going to be even better.

6. 538393
    Unknown User : Sun 15th Apr 2012 : 7 years ago

Really good to hear about the plans for the blogs, and that members will be able to get involved writing stuff.

I read the articles and was really blown away by the luthier Andy Mason and inspired by Aeolus... but I didn't feel I could comment any more than to say 'cool article', or something equally as banal... so ditto at that Wayne said.

Will give it a go, anyhoot. Maybe, like you were suggesting for us in the members tracks section, you could think about how these articles might pose questions or generate discussion. Two brilliant articles, all the same.

7. 1

A good example was the thread the other day about microphones.

Prime example of a useful blog post explaining the basics of different types of mics. The list is endless. Ive already got some posts on the go but are not ready yet.

8. 512025
    CyberSon : Sun 15th Apr 2012 : 7 years ago

@Looperman - I'm with theHumps on this. Do you have any way of monitoring the views each blog page gets? I've read a few although have actually only commented on one. Sometimes I simply enjoy reading blog posts.

9. 1

Blog posts dont even need to be informative. As long as they are interesting and have something to do with music then it would be of use or interest to people who visit the site.

10. 1

Yeh, i can always add a views counter on them. I should do the same on the forums again really.

Ive been so bogged down with work for the last few months Ive hardly had a chance to do anything but Im trying to push things forward and make a bit of time to get things done here too.

When i see things getting a positive response it gives you a boost to do more.

11. 512025
    CyberSon : Sun 15th Apr 2012 : 7 years ago

@Looperman - That's cool my friend. My websites are essentially blogs and I find it cool to see how many times an article has been read, especially when I used to do my Linux blog.

Going back to the microphone thread I started, that actually epitomised what this site is for me. The advice was simply fantastic and in the end, very helpful :)

12. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Sun 15th Apr 2012 : 7 years ago

Hey Mr. Looperman, you know in the past I have been a technical supporter, contributor and offered production advice to many in years past. But recently there has been a lot of silly postings which I do not wish to call out but you know what I am referring to when I last wrote you.

I got an enormous amount respect for you, this site and what you have done for me in the past, nuff said, but some of the silly post here recently left me less than inspired to just jump in. The curse word filter also seems to be missing or broken on some of the posts I seen recently too.

I remember way back when some of these wacky posts got less than 5 seconds of live air time. I wish you would clean up the forum posts which could inspire more serious input and it would help push the wacky posts to Facebook or something. I'd like to contribute like I use to Shan but I just wish you do a bit of house cleaning sir and keep things closer to music/video/production and the like.

Genuinely,
    Mr Funk

13. 1

Hey Mr F,

These days Im trying a different approach to things so the curse filter is not there but the forums are opt in which does mean that anyone who does cause any problems can also be easily opted out.

The idea is, with a bit of luck people will respect the guidelines and avoid using any bad language. There have been times when people complained of too many rules and also too few and I dont want to be sat in the middle (even if i am).

It could also be said that silly posts may come out of boredom and so with more interesting things on the table the lesser chance of that happening.

Ive switched of the ability for people to spam the facebook page now too as the only input that got was links to peoples tracks. Facebook will be used to promote interesting posts and the blog from now on as will twitter.

So, it all comes back to what i said in the start. Support the blog and make the forums interesting by posting interesting things and everyone will be happy.

Ok, we all know there will never be a time when everyone is happy but you catch my drift :-)

14. 666289
    FreeRadical : Mon 16th Apr 2012 : 7 years ago

I thought i'd give this post a bump as this is something everyone should read.
    @ MR F. - sorry if you've been recent posts haven't been to your taste. Mr L is correct when he says a lot of it spawns from boredom. It's not meant to be offensive. (perhaps we could consider having a separate section for mindless drivel?)
    Personally i like to use the forums when i'm having a break from making tunes and just communicate with other members. But i also like to use it to help promote tunes i like that go in the members tunes and mixes section. Frankly i find it a little dissapointing that it always seems to be the same bunch of us that are willing to give a shout out about other peoples work.
    Anyway, i'm going off topic so if you can find a minute to read the blog then do so and give our man who makes all this possible a little inspiration. It's not like you're being asked to build the pyramids.

15. 666289

I meant "sorry if recent posts haven't been to your taste"
    Why i wrote what i did, i haven't a clue.............

16. 1
    Looperman : Mon 16th Apr 2012 : 7 years ago

I was surprised to see hardly any regulars taking part in the Dubstep loop pack competition. Even if you dont care for dubstep you should at least have your say as to what genre of pack we should offer up in May.

17. 666289

Well personally i keep away from Facebook because it gets me in trouble. That's why didn't post anything.
    I did give a big up to prime loops on the other thread though and i'll certainly buy some more of them when i've got some spare dollars.

18. 1

its not really a facebook thing to be fair. Just a case of posting a link up anywhere that comes back to the competition post. Facebook is probably the worst place (for the site) to have a link posted as profiles are private and so only their friends see the link.

The best places to post would be dubstep forums or other music sites. Again the idea is to bring the outside world back to looperman.

19. 1

I agree with you regards facebook too. I use it for the site and set up stuff for clients who want a page on there but dont post my life story up

20. 614554
    Mykael : Mon 16th Apr 2012 : 7 years ago

I had no idea there was a blog (he says with acute embarrassment).

21. 538393
    Unknown User : Mon 16th Apr 2012 : 7 years ago

@Shan. Glad you are taking less of a hands-on approach. Having certain words blocked seems somewhat infantile to me.

Sorry Joe if you can't get into the silly posts (I could link you to Monty Python here and the Silly Police, but you could look it up yourself, if you were interested... which I guess you probably are not... Graham Chapman).

I agree with FR that they are largely about boredom and this site being somewhat of a morgue in the recent past. But, I also think they are an aspect of our human need to be silly once in a while and, since this is a social site, then I find it good to see the other side of people and not be serious all the time. Perhaps the humour isn't to your taste, but I have received quite a few personal emails saying they enjoy the bantering, so I guess there are differing views on this.

Ditto at Facebook. Hate the thing and deleted my profile. Seems an enormous waste of time and energy. I come here to share my music and listen to other people's stuff, especially those who are not into the commercial thingy. Personally, I took a break for a couple of months recently, and I think I'm gonna head off again for a while. As FR said, it is the same few people reviewing and interacting and that gets repetitive.

I really appreciate what Shan has set up here, but if it is only a few people who are willing to interact, it just ain't gonna work. So big thumbs up to the blogs, and a big thumbs down to the site policing. Yikes, why does everything I write turn into a novel? Maybe I need to write a novel.

22. 538393
    Unknown User : Mon 16th Apr 2012 : 7 years ago

Hee hee, Leachim... you're even hanging your head in shame in your avatar.

23. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Mon 16th Apr 2012 : 7 years ago

Hey SilverPaw, just like most producers and musicians I am always trying to better myself, we all are. Blocking curse words is not infantile when look at the big picture. In the broader sense there are children here on this and many others who may be offended by such words. You will not see Microsoft or Sony Records allow such behavior in their blogs.

It's not so much the words, the whole idea of it serves as distractor and I think there is a more intelligent way of making a point or a more educated fun way to make a more convincing point which seems to add a bit more professionlism to this site.

Do I swear? Yes, most certainly I do! But I would not swear at my boss at work and I do not swear at my wife either. What people do in private, like cursing like a sailor, hey more power to them. Shan had mentioned something about advertisers. Well Shan also has a rule about no Diss tracks and battle tracks on this site and with good reason, for starters, diss tracks are not about music.

Me SilverPaw, I was never personally offended by anything you wrote my friend. But if I am advertiser spending my cash, a site's image can go a long way. That intial impression instills confidence in the advertiser that the advertiser is trying to reach. The advertiser target may be the most professional group of muscians/producers and listeners globally who might buy or recommend their products.

I was a business owner some years back, you only get 1 chance pretty much to make a great first impression. Shan as the owner here most likely wishes to grow this site. Member participation is one key element here to expanding this site. He wrote this blog because an active community here translate into to more ad sales for him and legitimate help for members here. Generating revnue this way keeps this site free for me and everyone else. It gives you free space to promote yourself and much needed operating revenue for the owner.

My son is 13. Why can't he participate here? Is he not welcome here? I never saw an Adults only sign here. He would value your experience, wisdom and knowledge SilverPaw my friend. He is a junior music producer as well. If that's what do then keep doing it, then I judge you not pal. But for the sake of the greater global community from all walks of life and ages if there is another viable option to make a point would you at the very least please consider it first.

Peace!

24. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Mon 16th Apr 2012 : 7 years ago

@JoeFunktastic - I gotta say however that you see very few members posting questions in the forum lately and it might be because there is a small amount of members contributing to the community vibe.

Sometimes a bit of humor in the forums can aid that community feeling and it might tie in a bit the relationship between members. Off course nothing is good in excess.

We also have to keep in mind that there are members of all ages and mentalities around here so things can get a bit explosive sometimes but so do elsewhere.

25. 1

There is no longer a swear filter but that does not mean that Im happy for people to be effing and jeffing. I would rather the language be kept to a minimum and that you manage that yourselves without me having to block it by coding. I would rather spend the little time I have to code something fun and useful. Lets have that as the last word on it.

As this post is not about swearing or the forums but about the blog and ideas of how we can make this a better resource lets try and keep it on track.

Posts 1 - 25 of 51

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads