Midi Files For Looperman

Posts 1 - 17 of 17
  1. 587290
    AuroraFlux : Fri 4th Nov 2011 : 6 years ago i was just wanting to shoot out the idea of looperman hosting midi files what do you think of this should this be a possible upgrade????
  2. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 4 months ago This would be absolutely awesome! Why doesn't Looperman offer this? https://www.nonstop2k.com/midi-files/archive.php?l=All&cid=0&kid=0 does this, but there just isn't any community there and it looks like there's a bunch of copyrighted stuff in the mix. I'm not sure how you could even tell what you could use.
  3. 2215187
    TreXanax : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 4 months ago Ok now youre just really lazy lol
  4. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 4 months ago Haven't you ever gotten a loop you just want to tweak a little, or change the instrument on and play around with it? Or maybe you've created a melody on Midi file, and it sounds really cool, but it's just a little off no matter how much you play with it. It's just a new way to share our creativity with each other. It would help me learn a lot. Right now I'm just using loops, so this is actually more work for me to delve into the world of midi... :) Plus I've been pretty much spending all of my time on here and youtube learning about stuff or creating new tracks. I haven't been sleeping much because sometimes I get so jacked up thinking about all the stuff I wanna try. If I'm really lazy why am I exhausted? lol
  5. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 4 months ago Also I'we been wrestling with this bassline I created that sounds sweet but the timing is just a little off. ;)
  6. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 4 months ago A midi file will not help with the issues you are experiencing.

-A midi file will not help you tweak a loop.

-A midi file will not make the melody you have created be less "off."

-A midi file will not make your bassline timing "on."

-A midi file will not make your music less work.

You said "right now I'm just using loops," yet you indicate "create a melody on midi file" and "wrestling with this bassline." It gives a confusing impression of what you want. Either way, MIDI files will not solve these issues.

Learning about stuff and creating new tracks will help you, on the other hand. It takes practice to create music, no matter how you are doing it.

Loops, on the other hand, do make music easier overall. If you are having problems with timing, then there are probably issues with how you are using the loops, or the loops themselves. You may have better results actually asking about what you are struggling with, and finding helpful people.

MIDI has been suggested many times over the years, here at looperman, however the implications of this are far more complex than audio files. For example, how would one listen to it and know what they are downloading? MIDI does not contain sound or make sound, it is simply commands and note data. How it sound is completely dependent upon what instrument it is used with.

If you have a DAW, then you can use it to make your own note phrases, chords, and rhythms - completely without loops. Experimentation on learning is the key to doing this with confidence. In some cases, you can also extract the notes and rhythmic structure of a loop, and turn it into MIDI/score.
  7. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 4 months ago As an adendum - Since you are experiencing problems with timing, possibly having a poor sleep schedule is part of the problem. This is a big part of your body's sense of timing, and you brain is just another organ (part of your body).

Things other than music may be the cause of loss of sleep, with music being used as the excuse. This is something I say from lots of experience.
  8. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 4 months ago I think I described things the wrong way.
    I know that a midi file will not help me tweak a loop. What I was trying to say was that midi files are completely tweakable, where as it is very hard to change the melody of a loop.

"-A midi file will not make the melody you have created be less "off." "
    No but I could upload the midi file that I'm struggling with and maybe someone could tweak it or offer some suggestions. Same with tweaking the timing in my baseline midi file.

"-A midi file will not make your music less work."
    Agreed. For me it's actually more work delving into midi, but I know I need to go there. Right now I'm just starting with it. I need to grow beyond loops, and the ability to share midi files would be a huge help for me to learn. I'm definitely already doing extensive researching and practising. I'm not struggling with timing when using loops. That's easy for me.

"-For example, how would one listen to it and know what they are downloading? MIDI does not contain sound or make sound, it is simply commands and note data. How it sound is completely dependent upon what instrument it is used with."
    This would have to be handled through description. For example you could mention the instrument you were using, all the way down to the VST and settings. But the point is people would be free to experiment with whatever instrument they wanted to. For me that's the strength of midi, it opens a much bigger fine tunable sandbox to play in than just the world of loops. Another option is to also upload the loop version and put a link to it in the description.

I have been experimenting in my DAW with midi. I have tried converting loops to midi, but the loops I chose were complex enough where the midi I got was garbage.
  9. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 4 months ago Maybe it's my background as a software developer. I see midi as source code and loops as the executable files. As a developer, having someone else's source code is infinitely more useful to me than having just their executable. I can always compile their source code into an executable, and easily understand and tweak it. That's much harder to do than if I just have their executable file. I'm not saying you can't do all sorts of wonderful things with executable files and loops, but you can do more with midi and source code.
  10. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 4 months ago "No but I could upload the midi file that I'm struggling with and maybe someone could tweak it or offer some suggestions. Same with tweaking the timing in my baseline midi file."

This is something completely easy to do without the Looperman site. Just use a file sharing service or a web domain if you have one. Upload the MIDI file, and then put a link to it in the thread where you are asking for help. If people want to return an updated MIDI, then they can use the same methods to do so. This is the same methods as online collaboration, though midi and audio is more common, rather than just midi.

"Agreed. For me it's actually more work delving into midi, but I know I need to go there. Right now I'm just starting with it. I need to grow beyond loops, and the ability to share midi files would be a huge help for me to learn."

As I said above, you can already do this on your own.

"This would have to be handled through description. For example you could mention the instrument you were using, all the way down to the VST and settings. But the point is people would be free to experiment with whatever instrument they wanted to. For me that's the strength of midi, it opens a much bigger fine tunable sandbox to play in than just the world of loops. Another option is to also upload the loop version and put a link to it in the description."

I can't speak for other users of Looperman, but I know that I would not be interested in going through this sort of trouble. And then, where do we draw the line? How long before VST presets and stuff start being sharing? Project files? Do you know how complex it would be to describe the settings on a synthesizer?! Look at something even as basic as "Sytrus"... there are literally hundreds of parameters which could lead to a specific sound!

"I have tried converting loops to midi, but the loops I chose were complex enough where the midi I got was garbage."

This probably means that you were using polyphonic loops. Software such as this can not separate the notes of the chords/simultaneous notes.

Your example of source code/executable is somewhat understandable. From that angle, an executable is a patented tool, while source code is a method of copying that patented tool and using it for your own deeds. It is also pretty inaccurate, since audio does not rely upon midi to be used, whereas an executable must be in the form of source code at some point. I think of loops/audio and MIDI as both separate tools - they both have their uses, they can be used together or separately, and neither one is required to create music if other tools are used.

I suggest you begin asking for help with specifics, sharing midi files if that is what you want, and continuing to learn. All that MIDI files from other people will show you is what THEY do.
  11. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 4 months ago Whenever I get excited by something, I have a hard time sleeping. Unfortunately for my sleep, I'm very excited because I there is this huge new world for me to explore, and I don't know what I'm capable of creating. I've spent my whole life being a working stiff to pay the bills but I've ignored my creative side, which is really what makes me most happy.
  12. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 4 months ago I appreciate the need you feel to be creative. Let nothing stop you.

To continue the analogy of software to loops/midi... I think that MIDI is more along the lines of a template, while a loop is a sentence or paragraph. Comparing either of them to source code or executable seems a bit silly, since little can be done with either MIDI or loops without software.
  13. 1041668
    wikkid : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 4 months ago You may need to collab face to face with others in your local area. Why not put up something on the physical message board of your workplace?

Or why not see if a college student will work with you? When I wanted to learn photoshop, I plucked down some cash and got a tutor, which was of mutual benefit to us both. Student earned some much needed funds and I got one on one instruction. Same thing when I moved from analog to digital (video production and music).
  14. 1108368
    BeatMaker4real : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 4 months ago Yea, I can see the analogy of midi/source code...midi does hold all of the instructions to be carried out by the software, and the loop as an executable, because like a .exe it contains all the files needed in it's own container.A template would be more in the lines of a container for design or setup with no real function of it's own..but I'm a I.T geek too. Lol
  15. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 4 months ago MIDI has no real function of it's own, it requires software or a device, or both. MIDI will have some notes or commands, which is akin to design or setup in a compositional sense. On it's own, it does not do anything at all.

An executable stands on it's own, while a loop is simply a piece of something. If one is making a song which is one loop repeating, then I don't think anyone will want to listen. It puts me in mind of the songs which play while you are on hold with the government. Depressing and very conducive to getting pissed off.
  16. 1505829
    jfkbossee : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 4 months ago I personally see the appeal of hosting midi files. There have been times where I've had a hard time recreating the chords used in loops when I wanted to add another layer. Sometimes there are also loops that I really like melody-wise but not sound-wise. Or loops with way too much reverb or other fx that I don't personally like.

But then of course, you're not really sampling a loop anymore so what's the deal with copyright in that case?
  17. 1108368
    BeatMaker4real : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 4 months ago True..like I said before, midi holds instructions..0 notes...vs source code which is also a set of instructions.
    So the two in comparison is a lot alike.
Posts 1 - 17 of 17

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Electronic Track