See our Outer Space RE-201 emulator By AudioThing Review

How Do I Get Better Quality For My Vocals

Posts 1 - 17 of 17
  1. 482446
    Angel95 : Thu 21st Jul 2011 : 9 years ago

Hello everybody, just a few days ago i bought myself my 1st mic. its ok in my opinion but than again i really dont know anything about them since its my 1st mic. i tried it out and when i record it has some fuzz in the backround and dont know how to get rid of it!! so my question is what do i need to do to get rid of it? Is it the recording software, the mic. quality, or does it just that it needs to be mastered good?? HELP PLEASE!!

2. 157151
    PatriciaEdwards : Thu 21st Jul 2011 : 9 years ago

what kind of mic is it?

3. 482446
    Angel95 : Thu 21st Jul 2011 : 9 years ago

Sorry i forgot the name, but its a Samson mic.

4. 220346
    Peres : Thu 21st Jul 2011 : 9 years ago

if it's a usb mic try to get as far from the computer as the cord will allow as the sound distortion is sometimes coming from the computer(being picked up).I have a Samson usb mic and it always has some amount of distortion ,I usually have to clean it up using software. I am actually going to get the Blue Microphones Yeti as it's the best usb mic out there and the most versatile. A good plugin I found for cleaning up vocals is the VX-64 from Cakewalk or Sony Sound Forge.

5. 636839
    simmerdown : Thu 21st Jul 2011 : 9 years ago

check your levels at every step of the chain too...incoming mic vol can be very low imo, works for me anyway, but its normal to have to do some cleanup post-rec

+ what peres said...i love cooledit for noise reduction

6. 366784
    yeshintae : Thu 21st Jul 2011 : 9 years ago

MAKE SURE YOUR MIC CABLES
    ARE NOT NEAR YOUR POWER CORDS...

it'll cause this crazy hum around tha 60 Hz
    frequency... hehehehehehe

Peace from LA

7. 511451
    Rosh : Thu 21st Jul 2011 : 9 years ago

Close all the windows and the curtains, make sure all electrical appliances in the room, eg TV and turn headphones down a little to prevent the music bleeding in!

8. 143356
    HaxBox : Fri 22nd Jul 2011 : 9 years ago

When recording, i recoomend you should install Ausio4all drivers. they are magnificent.

9. 68743
    SaintHeretic : Fri 22nd Jul 2011 : 9 years ago

if your recording in a closet vocal booth,or something like that,dont use any lamps or lights that require power from your home at all,make sure your cables are away from power sources as well as your interface if external and mixer if your running into it first, and last but certainly not least, go drop some cash on some real nice "shielded" mic cables,i use magneticlly shielded cables by mogami,they seem to work the best out of all that i've tried,when it comes to cables and mics,you get what you pay for,if it takes you an extra week or 2 to scrape the cash for the better stuff,wait the week or 2. what i use in my booth is the battery powered dome lights,make sure they are L.E.D cause actual light bulbs even in the small lights cause a hell of a lot of interference,turn off your cell phone when recording.

10. 627407
    BlessedG : Fri 22nd Jul 2011 : 9 years ago

A channel strip will clean up your audio to a pro level, Focusrite make very good channel strips! That's what I use

11. 158799
    alividlife : Fri 22nd Jul 2011 : 9 years ago

I cover my computer with fluffy pillows when I record.

Noise gates are awesome if it's a ground issue.. It could be anything man..

I know if your running a lot outboard analog gear (any tube-preamp) I am gonnna put money on that is the culprit.

I buy super expensive cables tho.. I like Blue Waves.. ? I can't remember..

+1 on focusrite.. I want a focusrite or RME Hammerfield NOW!

12. 158799

If you try pulling any connecters in and out and see if it affects buzz you can check cables this way.

Soldering is super awesome and you can get lotsa free chords from people who are too lazy to solder,.. Grounds typically go bad really quick on lotsa cables.. Cheap solder.

I like Silver solder, but you gotta get that stuff to like 800 degrees farheinheit (sorry dunno Celcius, shakes fist at imperial system) but silver based solder will be like freaking WELDING grounds.

I have actually resoldered a lot of my equipment and it's a good deal. I like the DIY aesthetic.
    Hope you get it figured out.

I hope Mahlu chimes in lol cause I am a fan boy of his posts... but I have heard that you .. don't want all of your power running from ONE surge protector (if this is also the case..)
    I dunno if this is true, and I can't remember if it's the other way around.. but yea...

I have heard that you want a lot of analog gear to be powered from a different outlet, then the computer on another outlet/surgeprotector.

13. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Fri 22nd Jul 2011 : 9 years ago

Well questions questions......Is it a USB mic?..is it an XLR cable connected mic going to an audio interface?....or just a dynamic mic connected to the input on your onboard soundcard?

14. 641027
    Unknown User : Fri 22nd Jul 2011 : 9 years ago

Given the keeping away of powered sources away from your mics, quality is key. If there was ever two things I would invest into when setting up recording it would be mics, and monitors. Cheap mics, are always going to hiss, compression is what I would use back in the days when a mic was that low of quality.

White noise is your worst enemy in these cases. As well your surroundings, when doing vocals if you are not able to have a dedicated booth and this is a home setup, invest in some foam for the walls, or pillows if needed.

Kill out as much background noise as possible. Neumann makes some very nice quality mics, if you have a buck to spend I would suggest looking into them.

15. 158799

Hey.. can one of you guys tell me about inverting the pink/white noise to the EQ ratio of the microphone..

I saw it happen and I know fancy shmancy M-audio monitors (others too) have little mics that do it ..

But common help a brother out?

16. 158799

errr "explain that to me"
    basically.. that still baffles me... to this day.. and I have been in studios where they do it...

17. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Fri 22nd Jul 2011 : 9 years ago

@Abe what exactly are you talking about?

Posts 1 - 17 of 17

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums