How To Make A Beat

Posts 1 - 17 of 17
  1. 633094
    Rafaelgoesskii : Tue 5th Jul 2011 : 10 years ago

Okay that seems like a really dumb question. But i suck at making beats. Seriously when im on the keyboard everything sounds like garbage lol.
    Does anyone have any tips maybe videos?
    I mean i use to have a few months of piano lessons and have been playing acoustic guitar for about 3 years now.
    Got a good voice from choir.
    That's pretty much my music education background i've been studying music theory. But even than i can't figure out how to make a beat. It just sounds weird to me when i play my music. But when i hear someone else's track it sounds well made. and actually sounds like a song. haha.
    Any help guys?

2. 71369
    Unknown User : Tue 5th Jul 2011 : 10 years ago

self-confidence

3. 562523
    digitalSKYY : Tue 5th Jul 2011 : 10 years ago

Practice.
    That be it duder.

4. 286966
    ShowGunProductions : Tue 5th Jul 2011 : 10 years ago

What DAW or program do you use? That would help us to direct you to some videos and forum threads that might help you out.

5. 562523

Yeah, deff just youtube some tutorials!

6. 561119
    DJJPA : Tue 5th Jul 2011 : 10 years ago

I would start by recording some guitar riffs if that's what you're most comfortable with. Then see if you can "feel" a beat behind them, then put it down. Basically start from where you are comfortable, listen to it a bunch of times, make a beat with your mouth (boom, chicka, boom) and then lay that down. Just an Idea. See if it works. J.P.

7. 562523

How about posting something you have wrote, and we will give advice

8. 508527
    Brent88 : Tue 5th Jul 2011 : 10 years ago

Perhaps try using loops for the aspects that you are having trouble with. then over time begin decreasing the usage of loops as you gain a better understanding of how you want your music to sound.
    Alesaqqatsi had a good suggestion as well, post some of your work and we'll have a better idea of where your coming from.

Good luck to you :)

9. 439229
    mrE : Tue 5th Jul 2011 : 10 years ago

introduction of beat.build up.layering.changes of beat or silence to provide tension. bring the beat back. make the ending something someone will remember.peace

10. 444193
    StereoMathematics : Tue 5th Jul 2011 : 10 years ago

most of the time i start with the drums then build from there. just play around with things, it doesnt happen over night. if you know how to play guitar and the piano and youve got some music theory, start out there. biggest thing is dont be afraid, MF DOOM said it best, 'just go with the flow'.

11. 620343
    uberstrat : Tue 5th Jul 2011 : 10 years ago

Music theory?I've heard this before, In my opinion you need a good sense of rythm if you dont have that then you dont have much lol

Get familiar with the software you are using and lay down some beats and a bassline because thats the basic building blocks and work off of that and keep things tight.

12. 158799
    alividlife : Tue 5th Jul 2011 : 10 years ago

I think Rockband 2, and 3 did more for me than paying for lessons from actual drum instructors.

Seriously.

But yea.. Hi-hats typical go on 1/8, or 1/16 notes with velocity going from

say...:

90, 80, 60, 80
    1 + 2 + 3 + 4
    (for whatevs)

then your kick is typically on the 1, and then a snare on the 3.

Use a metronome.

I learnt drums on Rockband 2 and then 3 (pro-drums)
    but ultimately purchase a Yamaha Stage Custom and DW kit.

This helped a lot. Youtube helped a lot.

The last suggestion I have.. is take your FAVORITE "drum" song- right?

And then double time it.. or .. "slow it down in half"

Then grab an MPC or some kinda software MPC and figure out where the kicks go and snare.

After you have the backbone (kick and snare)
    work on the hi-hats.. but it helps to be more diserning with hi-hats as they can easily blend into pads, guitars and anything hi-register.

But yea.. Having pencils and actually drumming out ideas on my desk has helped me create some awesome drum lines, even opposed to taking the 2 hours it takes to set up mics and level all the drums.
    (Breaking down drums in segments in a recording atmosphere sucks)

13. 158799
    alividlife : Tue 5th Jul 2011 : 10 years ago

Bassline follows kick or on the kick in hip hop too.. even rock.

But yea.. Unless your amazing like PJB lol.

But I really like funk drummers. ..

Clyde Stubblefield imediately comes to mind. I love that guy.. I want to have his babies.

But yea.. Getting a good rythm instantly illuminates how important dancing and melodicism is to a track.

It's all about the grooooove man.

I really dig your openess Rafaelgoesskii, and I used to rely on drum loops and strokes of luck.

Understanding drums kinda puts me more intune with my world in a lot of weird ways. If I am just really pissed or having a bad day destroying my drums or making insane drum tracks blows a lot of steam off for me.

14. 287207
    ScreamingZombie : Tue 5th Jul 2011 : 10 years ago

Having been a drummer for 8 or so years, I guess it comes naturally but I think to start with, working on simple rhythms can get you a long way. Just getting the volume of each drum right is a big step in the right direction. I would recommend just working on simple beats with kick on 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4.Once you can make simple beats like that you can advance into different rhythms and variations.
    Hope this helps :)

15. 633234
    Killerkid : Tue 5th Jul 2011 : 10 years ago

Anyone knows of a software that is good for making bass beats? Maybe just a free one will do..

16. 435773
    BrokenScythe : Tue 5th Jul 2011 : 10 years ago

First off, remember that when everyone starts, they suck.
    Thats what separates the chumps from the champs.
    Eventually, everyone who takes it seriously WILL get MUCH better. Many of us here are a testament to that.
    Now with that said, you have to start small. At first, a lot of things will seem bad. But remember that for every bad track you make, you are learning not only what NOT to do, but also improving on what you CAN.
    I think Brents idea for using loop is a great idea.
    Get a drum loop, then try mking a guitar riff over it.
    Start SIMPLE. At first, I wouldnt even worry about mixing. Just
    focus on composing and arranging.

An example of something I personally think you should try at first is.
    Make the guitar fade in. (Your intro)
    Once its faded in add the percussion. (The start of your verse)
    After 4 bars add a bass.
    After 4 more bars, add something that follows the guitar. You said youve played guitar for 3 years. Im guessing you understand chords a bit. Have ,say, a piano follow your chord progression. or Maybe your piano IS the chord progression and your guitar is the melody.
    at bar 15 of your verse, there should be a transition leading into either a continuation of the verse or a hook.
    If you do a hook at this point, add something subtle that defines it. Maybe take away the drums? or just the Kick? Add a higher octave melody? something small but significant.
    Then after an 8 bar hook, go back to the verse. Try to make start of the verse a bit different but the rest essentially the same. Then after 16 bars, go back to the hook. After that hook, try to create a much more sentimental part. Like having te guitar and piano only, and have them be a tad different than before in terms of melody.
    Then fade out with whatever youd like, preferably the guitar.

and also, I quote my Middle School Orchestra teacher Mr. Monarch..
    "Practice does NOT make perfect, PERFECT practice makes Perfect."
    Meaning, do not just sit nonchalantly try to make music. FEEL it. LISTEN! Regardless of your skill, if you pay attention and put in a great deal of time and effort, your track will be MUSIC! a true attempt to express something through sound.

You really have to grasp that. Straight up, if you dont appreciate what youre trying to do musically, rethink your mentality. Even greedy producers have a love for their craft. that's why it's so good.

Also, listen to all kinds of music. If you burn out on just Hip Hop, youre sound will burn out too. Be open minded.

Focus on what you are doing. What are you trying to paint? Is it a sad song? Angry? even if its a song about going to the club and trying to get laid, portray that.

Trust me on this. You will want to quit. You will want to accept that you arent any good. You will feel really really frustrated some nights. And you may even get depressed.
    But if you really endure, all that starts to turn around into a sense of accomplishment.

17. 286966
    ShowGunProductions : Tue 5th Jul 2011 : 10 years ago

Did I actually just see a post from mrE? DUDE! Are you back?

Posts 1 - 17 of 17

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.