Posts 1 - 25 of 39
  1. 561119
    DJJPA : Sat 2nd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

Hey Looperman,
    Another Idea, excuse me if this has been suggested
    (I looked and couldn't find it)
    Does your new vision for th site include a way to follow people
    and in turn see who's following you.

At the moment my trips to looperman are as follows.
    I check out the new tracks and loops as best I can. when i'm either caught up, or bogged down, I go and check out the new track of people I've either received reviews from, or have reviewed in the past.

It would be nice to follow some of these people electronically instead of manually searching through reviews and favorites.

Plus when we can see how many people are following us we can know, that much more, how much our music is appreciated.

2. 609523
    3rdNippleMusic : Sat 2nd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

it's been posted many times... can't wait til we can play our favorites in a playlist, that'd be cool yo

3. 561119
    DJJPA : Sat 2nd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

Oh, sorry. Favorites in a playlist would be great also.

4. 158799
    alividlife : Sat 2nd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

I agree.. wait for it.. It would be awesome.

good idea nonetheless.

5. 583767
    eshar : Sat 2nd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

I haven't been awake long and I was woken suddenly so I'm not in a good mood (LoL) but I have to say I totally disagree with this idea.

I am on several sites where you can "follow" people and frankly I don't see the point of it.
    The internet is a really shallow place and what I've discovered is that people follow you but if you don't jump up and follow them straight back, lo and behold you discover they're not following you any more...I recently deleted my account on a site where that was happening continually. I mean people either like your music and want to support it or they don't and just want to "collect friends"

I kind of like the idea of a favourite's playlist though and perhaps there could be a choice of as to whether it was fixed or random.

6. 366784
    yeshintae : Sat 2nd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

imagine if you could play ANOTHER member's fav track list
    randomly.... EPICCCC~

:D
    ahahahahah

Peace from LA

7. 620343
    uberstrat : Sat 2nd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

An alphabetical search box? within our own profiles?

8. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sat 2nd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

Favourites in a playlist is a great idea! I would use that!

9. 561119
    DJJPA : Sun 3rd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

@ Elaine, I could really give a crap about feelings. I would just like to be updated on friends new tracks automatically.

10. 583767
    eshar : Sun 3rd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

DJJPA _ it's probably a only a question of semantics, but in that case I think you mean subscribing to a member. When you subscribe to someone you should be notified automatically of any tracks they upload. I know that's the kind of thing Youtube do and a couple of other sites too.

At the end of the day I am just expressing my own personal opinion of how I have found things to be on the internet...so I don't actually appreciate what appears to be the tone of your reply...but hey ho. What will be will be. IF enough people think this is an idea that would work I'm sure Shan will consider implementing it.

11. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sun 3rd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

See here's the thing..I don't need any of this stuff and have been getting by just fine without it..now like Elaine these are only my opinions and their not meant to put your suggestions down or invalidate them....I don't want a friends list or be updated when they post a new track or tie their shoelaces..I've got a great memory and I know exactly where to find all the people I like.There's nothing worse than being stigmatized as a 'virtual friend' with all the associated virtual obligations this inevitably entails..Up until now Looperman has distanced itself from other musical sites by having a strong sense of community with less emphasis on social interaction statistics.....quite frankly I'd much prefer to see more musically orientated discussions.

12. 444193
    StereoMathematics : Sun 3rd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

i totally agree with poppajazzbass. keep looperman on the community side and less on the social networking way of operating. if not, then looperman should just merge with soundcloud.

13. 493780
    theFISHface : Sun 3rd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

True PJB

14. 493780
    theFISHface : Sun 3rd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

I swear 70% of my forum posts are just agreeing with PJB :)

ur a wise man planet ;)

-
    theFISHface

15. 620343
    uberstrat : Sun 3rd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

Well, PJB seeing as you put it like that....Yeah too many sites becoming like facebook ect.

16. 158799
    alividlife : Sun 3rd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

Facebook is also insanely profitable and hugely successful.
    (just offering a counter-point)

I really dig everything Elaine and PJB say.

17. 452189
    RotenBeats : Sun 3rd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

u have twitter nd sh*t like that for following people. wats the point if u like sum1s music that much , remember there name . or jus favirote the song,

18. 95108
    TheseMetalDays : Sun 3rd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend."
     Albert Camus

19. 583767
    eshar : Sun 3rd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

TheseMetalDays - that's an awesome quote. :)

Let me say that I certainly wasn't trying to put down DJJPA's idea, but PJB is right. The thing that makes this site the success it is, is the idea of community, and while there certainly are times when it feels like the community isn't always being supportive, on the whole things even themselves out...because it does tend to be a question of people getting back what they put in.

I don't really know how profitable Facebook is financially, I know there was a time not too long ago when they hadn't made any money, but it is successful in social networking terms, but again it does have its limitations. Once the initial excitement of being on the site dies down it can be a very boring place unless you enjoy playing Farmville or Bejewelled :)

20. 64965
    DonnieVyros : Sun 3rd Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

@DJJPA= With an attitude like that you're bound to win loads of friends on here mate. In turn, why should I/we "give a crap" about your observations & ideas beyond that lil statement?
    Though that wouldn't be objective would it?

So lemme throw out some thoughts of my own here...

First, the whole "Social media" thing has become a joke. Facebook is the new Myspace (with less pervs or am I mistaken, don't really bother with either site now TBH...
    And how sad is the fact that people have lost their jobs because of something they posted to Facebook, real Resume diamond for both parties there, amirite). Twitter is like the extreme LITE version of either of the previous mentioned sites, but it's completely useless IMO (just waiting for the day when everyone else will wise up to this fact).

Now lets mix the two- "Social media" & "Notifications".
    This site has a group (or page) on several major media sites. Though here I'm specifically talking about the,
    Facebook Looperman Group!
    Problem one, I'm fairly certain I somehow automatically joined this group when someone invited or suggested it for me. I don't recall actually logging in to accept the invite. Not that I mind being a part of something that's affiliated with this site (just strikes me as being odd is all).
    (real issues below)
    Problem two, the "Notifications" are automatically set to be sent (another oddity, you'd figure that this is be something that someone would have to sign up for, ya know?). So every time I log-in to check my email, I've got like 5-20 messages where a bulk of them are from the FB LM group (sure, I can opt-out, but the reason I haven't is because I wanted to see what kind of stuff people would talk about, and there we see..).
    Problem three, of those group posts I am sent, a majority of them seem to be shameless self-promotion (check out my new song or video on fluffynuts.com or wherever). And no offense folks, but those notifications go straight in my trash bin.

On here, and "Subscriptions".
    Perhaps its the number of times this has come up. Or maybe its from the OPs bad attitude, but I find it odd that it seemed to be such a popular idea before. Whereas, here it seems to be rejected outright.
    And though I kind of agree that being sent emails would be a bad idea. What I'd enjoy seeing is something like...

1a.) A "Subscribe" button & "Subcriptions" tab somewhere on our profile page.
    Where we could check off the option (button) for someone & then later be able to go and check out their page (tab).

1b.) "Subscription tab" layout.
    The names would show up on a list with a special way of notifying us to anything new (say colors or icons).
    Under the color system, they'd show up as just Orange if nothing new has been added, Purple for say a new song, Red for & new loop/acapella.
    Under an icon system, just label the new stuff with a bolded cap letter of what they've added (T=track, L=loop, A=acapella).

2.) "Track page" redesign.
    It'd also be nice if there was a way to distinguish between the songs we've already reviewed/played & the ones we haven't (besides just the Favorite option).
    This could be done sort of by an in-house browsing history option. Where unvisited links would show up as one color (say the current Red) and visted links would show up another (say Purple or Orange or Blue or something). Like the way some other sites have done this option with their links.

In the end we'll have to wait for Looperman to chime in on this. As he has already stated that a site redesign is under way (and has mentioned that something like a "Subscription-like" thing is in the works). Beyond that its just a big guessing game with people tossing ideas around, conceptualizing. Later on!

-Vyros

21. 456633
    Music4Life : Mon 4th Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

... I had to think about it for a sec, but I think it's a good idea. With that said, it can be a good thing and a bad thing depending on the person.

22. 561119
    DJJPA : Mon 4th Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

I meant nothing negative in my reply and I apologize if it came across that way. I think my irritation at some peoples sensitivity (as described in your post) was showing through. It was not at all meant negatively toward you. I believe that sometimes "tone" is misinterpreted easily when there are no facial expressions to go with it. (I've found this to be true with texts sometimes also.) So again, I didn't mean it to come across crass and if it did I'm sorry.

23. 606872
    WithoutMyArmor : Mon 4th Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

I don't understand why people take so harshly to social type functions on this site? Sure, the main focus of LM is not to become or take the place of a social network, but just because it adapts one or two qualities of one doesn't make it one. A subscription feature or something of that nature would make it so much easier to keep up with members new tunes, mixes, posts, etc. Of course I could try to write down every persons account name, songs, and the like- but why go through all that extra work? And what if I'm not able to, it would be much more convenient to click a button and be able to check them out later.

Fear of the social networks or the idea of one taking over this site I feel is hindering it by disallowing some actual benefits that could really help it out. I mean, why have a favorites option if you can't even go back to listen to them? I'm going to be blatantly honest here for a moment and say that a lot of the music I listen to on here doesn't get the credit it deserves from me- whether it be in the form of a respectful review or a compliment or whatever, and one of the biggest reasons why is that I simply don't have the time to spend searching the site for people that I heard before. If I forget someone's account name then suddenly they become lost, lest I so fortunately end up rediscovering them again.

At any rate, whatever new benefits/hindrances this site chooses to adapt to or remove/ignore/etc. is completely out of my control, but I'd at least like to point out my own thoughts and submit them for some type of reasoning. Just remember a straight line is not progress.

24. 561119
    DJJPA : Mon 4th Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

Former post for DonnieVyros and ElaineSharp.

25. 609523
    3rdNippleMusic : Mon 4th Jul 2011 : 8 years ago

hah

Posts 1 - 25 of 39

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads