Is It Better To Be Honest Or Lie

Posts 1 - 25 of 25
  1. 560476
    TurboXclusive : Mon 27th Jun 2011 : 10 years ago

Question, okay people contact you and want to colab and what not. But is it better to be honest with them and tell them they arent very talented and should try to get better before putting them on one of your tracks orrrr let them on your track and they "ruin" and you just smile and say "it was a good take"?

Is it better to give a "good" review to something that isnt really good? Or be honest and tell them "it wasnt that great...heres why"?

2. 83445
    JohnBoutilier : Mon 27th Jun 2011 : 10 years ago

Just say no, but thank you.

John

3. 560476

I hate you John lol j/k, you just make it sound so simple. I guess I really dont like telling people no when I should. Dont want to come off as a jerk.

4. 83445

Remember to just be polite because its the right way to do things.

You're not being a jerk when you say no, you are being honest, The "thank you" makes you polite.

John

5. 276805
    HustlerbyNature : Mon 27th Jun 2011 : 10 years ago

i go through that alot... unfortunately i tell them the truth wether they like it or not.. just how i am

6. 560476

Cus thats how we do in VA lol...no foreal. I just didnt want to feel like a jerk cus I turned a couple of people down with getting on my tracks. Its just that their tracks that they have either are butchered good music or they just arent talented. AND I GET IT...a lot of people do it because they love music. But my music is ME... Its special, so I just dont want anyone who thinks they are America's next idol on it. Granted Im not Kanye West, but whatever...Im blabbing

7. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Mon 27th Jun 2011 : 10 years ago

The trouble is no matter how you phrase it nobody likes rejection...however the world is one big rejection factory starting from the year dot..evolution works through the process of natural selection,collaborations aren't as complicated! lol....I get a lot of out of the blue requests for collaborations that I must out of practicality refuse,I'm always polite about it though....just because people like your material doesn't mean you owe them anything....and often I end up scratching my head when people think I'll drop everything and jump at a chance to work with a complete stranger who isn't even a musician..duh...bottom line is be yourself,if it's not going to happen state it right out.

8. 375728
    Cybertooth : Mon 27th Jun 2011 : 10 years ago

i dont speak for everyone but i prefer brutal honesty

9. 375728
    Cybertooth : Mon 27th Jun 2011 : 10 years ago

i mean, when its me

in general: be polite and you can be as honest as you need to be, its all about how yous say it

10. 83445

You can be honest and polite without lying. Its called being respectful. Not a difficult concept.

And..........you never know who is gonna make it big.

Among those told they had no talent:

Bob Dylan
    Jimi Hendrix (who only gave music a real shot because Dylan made it)
    Neil Diamond
    Jon Bon Jovi

Remember, just because yoy think someone sucks, doesn't mean the masses will agree.

11. 560476

LoL John, No one sucks lol. Sucking is reserved for people like William Hung...BUT then again, I bite my toungue cus look what he did :-/ Matter of fact, I think I'll search for a William Hung on this site and see what we can do together lol.

12. 83445

William Hung???????????????????????

13. 83445

Sounds better than William Shortcoming

14. 560476

Yeah, the asian dude from American Idol season 1, who got a record deal even though he was HORRIBLE... go youtube him. Its funny

15. 430930
    ThePantherLab : Mon 27th Jun 2011 : 10 years ago

if you`re not honest, it will come back and bite you in the ass!

16. 71369
    Unknown User : Mon 27th Jun 2011 : 10 years ago

Is It Better To Be Honest Or Lie - It's better to be yourself! Nuff said! lol xD

17. 618717
    OkToUse : Mon 27th Jun 2011 : 10 years ago

I think the issue here is answering the question that's being asked.
    "May I collab with you?"
    "Oh, I'm flattered you'd like to, but no thank you."
    It's sort of like someone asking you out and you're not really interested in them that way. You don't have to answer why you don't want to collab with them unless they ask you. And here's where you don't lie, but you sugarcoat it. Cause there's no need to be a jerk.
    "Why not?"
    "Well, you don't really fit my style," or
    "Well, I think if you give yourself some time and gain some more experience we can make a much better track together."
    What would personally impress me is if they asked you how they could get better. I think that shows that someone is really passionate about what they do, because they have enough humility to ask for help and enough passion to not be afraid of asking someone more experienced for advice.

18. 560476

@OkToUse... I like your reply. That I believe is the exact answer I was looking for.

19. 350128
    Felix : Mon 27th Jun 2011 : 10 years ago

I lie through omission. You have to ask the right questions. haha

20. 606872
    WithoutMyArmor : Mon 27th Jun 2011 : 10 years ago

I think the answer to that question might vary from person to person, but look at it this way. You not only want to better yourself and your own talents the same way that you'd like for someone else to help you better your own. There's going to come a time that someone that isn't as talented as you (or who you think is not as talented as you-based on their tracks or what have you) who will ask you to collaborate or something along those lines. At which point you will have a few options.

1. You could simply say no, but thanks for your interest. To this they would hopefully show you equal respect by saying okay, well thanks for the consideration. Key word 'hopefully'.

2. You could say no and actually explain why, which might seem more like a 'jerk' thing to do, however, it might end up helping them get better by way of motivation.

3. You could suck it up and do the collaboration anyways, not knowing what the results might possibly be. But did this end up helping you or them? If it didn't and you didn't feel like the track was nearly up to par with any of your own tracks, then think about whether it helped them less experienced person? This option could have benefits and possible downsides but I see a lot of people doing this option because they're too afraid to turn down someone else.

I think it all comes down to what John said though, not to be redundant, because you could just scroll up to read it. But when in doubt about dealing with someone else's feelings, I'd like to refer to the golden rule. "Treat others the way you'd want to be treated." Would you want them to be honest to you? Would you want them to do the collaboration anyways? Would you want them to ignore your request? Politely decline? etc, etc.

21. 560476
    TurboXclusive : Tue 28th Jun 2011 : 10 years ago

@Theory...nice. Good replies from everyone. I appreciate it

22. 636839
    simmerdown : Tue 28th Jun 2011 : 10 years ago

lie

23. 439229
    mrE : Tue 28th Jun 2011 : 10 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzgzim5m7oU

24. 444193
    StereoMathematics : Tue 28th Jun 2011 : 10 years ago

lol simmer

25. 620343
    uberstrat : Tue 28th Jun 2011 : 10 years ago

I think it's all swings and roundabouts, I listen to a lot of tracks on here, some guys/girls have a talent for everything they put into a track, some have better keyboard, drum and or melody skills, sometimes a song will have good potential and it might be let down by such as a weak melody or weak bassline or lack of something but I wouldn't cast it aside, I have listened to tracks on here which actually sound very good indeed but the timing was out which is a shame but they can go back and re-edit, collaborations to me aren't about overall talent but someone may excel in one quality rather than many and they may be wanted for just something as simple as a bassline or piano/keyboard input.

My tunes are naff at the moment I do enjoy and have a laugh (at the bum notes) making them but I'm still learning, no matter how good or bad anyone is at making music there is always room for improvement.

Posts 1 - 25 of 25

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.