Why Dissallow Downloads Of Your Tracks

Posts 1 - 25 of 38
  1. 510808
    spunkywacko : Thu 19th May 2011 : 8 years ago

Just wondering.

I mostly download tracks. And all music I listen to 50-80% is looperman tracks =D. So yeah :)

So why not make yours available?

In the beginning I'd download a track and it'd be banging and I'd wanna see what other tracks are available but all I had to track it was a random number on the filename. Then I that part of the number is the userID. Bingo!

Which brings me to my second question, looperman in future could we tag the title/artist in the filename?

2. 337508
    subSpace : Thu 19th May 2011 : 8 years ago

if i am asked from someone if they can download my track then i send them a private link because i like to know who has my tracks but some of my tracks are also open for download if people go through my profile

3. 339043
    StephenPotter : Thu 19th May 2011 : 8 years ago

Well, there's several reasons why I personally don't put my tracks up for download.

Most of the tracks I post here are either WIPs or Demos, or just incomplete stuff. I'd rather post the download when its finished than when its not. Also, stuff like remix competitions (which occasionally happen) can also be a reason NOT to put your tracks up for download, in case it gets stolen.

I do agree with tagging the artist. That would almost certainly eliminate stolen stuff.

Ste :)

4. 601456
    thephilosofist : Thu 19th May 2011 : 8 years ago

The more places online your music is, the more people can steal it or promote work of yours you don't necessarily want promoted.

5. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Thu 19th May 2011 : 8 years ago

I allow all my material to be downloadable....It's up there,it's out there for anyone to use or abuse..I have my own sound,if ever there's any legal dispute I have no concerns as no one can pretend to be me..it does have a downside though....a lot of my music was found on Osama's hard drive!

6. 366784
    yeshintae : Thu 19th May 2011 : 8 years ago

LMFAO PJB!!!

ahahhahaha

Peace from LA

7. 673599
    Metabolic : Thu 19th May 2011 : 8 years ago

haha

mate the biggest reason you shouldnt allow your tunes for download is for labels they dont like signing people who have already given away the tunes they wanna sell.....so if you dont think ur music is good enough to buy allow it for download if not dont

8. 366784
    yeshintae : Thu 19th May 2011 : 8 years ago

@spunky...

DID YOU NOT JUST SEE CONEY'S THREAD?!

that's probably me biggest reason for not allowing dls...
    and tha fact i don't want some wack rapper lacing
    one of me tracks ahahahahahahah

Peace from LA

9. 286604
    Crypt : Thu 19th May 2011 : 8 years ago

This one guy added vocals to a couple of my songs. Didn't even ask my permission, just sent a link. First track was decent, second track pissed me off because I was feeling territorial on what I had considered to be my best track thus far. But then he like heavily cut the ending where there was like three guitar tracks playing. And screamed kind of atypically. So I agree with Yesh about"wack" vocalists. That's one of the reasons I don't allow downloading on most of my tracks now. That and I don't want people thefting me.

10. 229129
    CONEYISLANDRECORDS : Thu 19th May 2011 : 8 years ago

I always left my stuff available for download for the community here to use.

When I first joined I didnt. Them I became comfortable here with everyone and let myself get too relaxed. Plus emailing everyone a track of mine that they wants sucks. Sometimes I would forget and people would think Im jsut an asshole or something or think that im snubbing them.

I think I may just have to make my stuff non-downloadable.

But even then anyone can rip a track that is audible on the net. Audacity is a free and easy tool to find and use.

11. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Fri 20th May 2011 : 8 years ago

Signed..unsigned..labels smables..I still don't give a toss..Is my music any good?..I don't give a rat's what anyone thinks or the implication that it's no good....Listen I'm an adult not some Justin Bieber wannabe who thinks he's got a snowball's chance in hell of becoming the next big thing..I'm an Artist as in fine artist,I paint,draw,sculpt etc..music to me is just another medium...I'll have all my music always downloadable...shove any so called Labels,their an urban dream for people that want blowjobs in the back of Limos they don't apply to me.

12. 673599
    Metabolic : Fri 20th May 2011 : 8 years ago

more for promo than anythin PJ i like playin gigs, money aint the issue n neither is tryna get a huge record deal n be on tv screw that i dont wanna be mainstream, things are alittle different nowaday gettin signed doesnt mean youve made it an youre gettin bjs in a limo, it means i could lead on to more bigger things, dependin on the success of the label of course. ya get more gigs/bookings if your known, labels are a great way to do what ya want.....and i wanna play gigs....get trashed...and catch the aids....since i got signed ive had more people listenin to my music...more gigs...not caught the aids yet but maybe one day...a guy can dream

13. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Fri 20th May 2011 : 8 years ago

Hey man I hear you..the great thing is your playing gigs!..I just wish the rest of the UTube generation would understand this...the trouble with most people is they own a computer,string a few Loops together or talk in rhyme and think success is going to beat a path to their door (dream on)..it's guys that play that will make it pay.....Jeez I sort of off topic'd this thread..Oh well just for that I might change one of my tracks to ..no download! LOL

14. 167018
    JsLsn : Fri 20th May 2011 : 8 years ago

No offense to anyone on here but if you don't want someone to use your instrumental why are letting people download it? What did you expect them to do? They were probably looking for tracks to sing or rap over and heard yours, so they used it because YOU let them download it. You can't get mad at them for that. This is also a royalty free site... I see some people don't understand that. If you don't want someone to use your music, and sell it, don't put it on here. Royalty free means they owe you NO CREDIT WHATSOEVER for your work. Its "FREE" I give away beats all the time, and if they get used is some big production (which they have) I can't get mad. If I wanted to receive credit later, whether monetary or otherwise, I needed to include that in the agreement. I sell tracks all the time, and I never do creative commons. I just let you have it, and put a clause in the agreement that forbids you from claiming it as your beat. But I don't ask for any monetary payment, now or in the future. Now if I sell a beat or track, obviously there are alot of legalities there.

This is why I don't let people download my music. If you want a trak, email me and ask. Maybe I will let you have it, maybe I won't. Closed mouths dont get fed.

15. 673599

producing has become a craze/fad, so there'll be more of those types joinin everyday but they wont get anywhere, they'll give up when pokemon becomes cool again, so non worries there...

but ye back on topic, thieves arnt an issue for me, my sounds quite different i doubt anyone could get away with callin it their work......and use creative commons people!!

16. 416676
    Koukotsu : Fri 20th May 2011 : 8 years ago

Meh, I was a little hesitant about allowing downloads at one time, but then I realized that there were more important things in life than being super popular and wealthy.

It would still annoy the crap out of me if someone jacked one of my songs and took credit for my work though >:(

17. 673599

since when did the majority of musician not want to be heard?

18. 372886
    Bilbozo : Fri 20th May 2011 : 8 years ago

All my tracks are downloadable and licensable as well. Sounds kind of weird but by doing that I got several soundtrack offers to do Documentary music from doing that. The right people will always ask for a Mechanical License and pay you for it. It's the clowns who are out to make a fast buck stealing your beats who are crap. But they also won't make a million bucks off your stuff. Smalltimers never do.

19. 157207
    StarTropix : Fri 20th May 2011 : 8 years ago

@Yesh... I have a program that can download any media file from any site, whether its download protected or not... I assume if anyone wants one of my non downloadable songs, they can roll up their sleeves and put some effort into it.

20. 157207
    StarTropix : Fri 20th May 2011 : 8 years ago

its just like gun control in Canada, people who are going to use them illegally will get them whether its an option or not.

21. 40786
    Sonny64 : Fri 20th May 2011 : 8 years ago

From my own point of view: I simply won't bother listening to a track that is download disabled. If I like the track, I'll want to download it, and if I can't, it's annoying. So, to avoid irritation, I simply pass that track over, no matter whether it's in my favourite genre, or the artist's track description is interesting.

It's simple; if it's download allowed, and in a genre I like, there's a fairly good chance I'll at least listen to it. Otherwise, no.

Perhaps I'm lazy but I can't be bothered with finding an artist's email on the off-chance that they may share the track download-wise.

Sonny

22. 538393
    Unknown User : Fri 20th May 2011 : 8 years ago

I upload my tracks before they are finished in the hope that some constructive criticism can help me to improve. I won't put them up for download until I'm happy that what is downloaded is as good as it can be.

@Sonny64. Sorry dude, but if all you want is to build up your music collection and not participate in helping to improve work in progress through reviews then I have not much sympathy.

It's a pain what happened to Conan, but in fairness, most of us have some technical skills, so not making a track available for download may be a deterrant, but would not stop me stealing a track if that's what I wanted to do. It's not that hard to route the audio back into your DAW and hit record.

I also agree with PJB. If you're in this for the art of it or just the fun of it, or the joy of performing, you won't care. If you're in this to be the next big thing or to make lots of money... well, talk to me in ten years time and I think you may have become suitably disillusioned.

All the same, personally speaking, I want my tracks to be as good as possible before I put them out there... so no downloads yet (it might take a while, I'm always re-writing, haha).

23. 551750
    harderthantherest : Fri 20th May 2011 : 8 years ago

pointless holding on to your tracks. even commercial tracks people can get them for free. this is a new world of free stuff. i encourage people to share your beats. there are so many site that offer free music.

24. 557493
    Firebird : Fri 20th May 2011 : 8 years ago

Because some people will use your stuff when you don't want them to. Look up ConneyIslandRecord's thread on stolen songs. I personally don't mind. People can accomplish just about anything if they don't mind who gets the credit, and i don't want fame. I will keep any song i get up for download.

25. 219480
    CelloCubano : Fri 20th May 2011 : 8 years ago

If u upload it.. Ppl can download it... Or jus rip the audio which is ilkegal but still happens...my stuffs up here forever free for that reason

Posts 1 - 25 of 38

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads