Click Here for new free VSTs & plugins added daily

Can You Help Define Fusion Genre

Posts 1 - 17 of 17
  1. 303802
    minette : Sun 20th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

What defines the genre "fusion"? I always find it so hard to find the genre that fits my sound... I'm starting to think maybe "fusion" is the way to go?

thoughts / advice?
    m
    xx

2. 340647
    Phyruis : Sun 20th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

heres what the wiki says

A fusion genre is a music genre which combines two or more genres. For example, rock and roll originally developed as a fusion of blues, gospel and country music. The main characteristics of fusion genres are variations in tempo, rhythm and sometimes the use of long musical "journeys" that can be divided into smaller parts, each with their own dynamics, style and tempo. "Fusion" used alone often refers to jazz fusion.

Artists who work in fusion genres are often difficult to categorize within non-fusion styles. Most styles of fusion music are influenced by various musical genre. There are many reasons for this, the main reason being that most genres evolved out of other genres. When the new genre finally identifies itself as separate, there is often a large gray area in which musicians are left. These artists generally consider themselves part of both genres. A musician that plays music that is dominantly blues, influenced by rock, is often labelled a blues-rock musician. An example of a blues-rock group would be Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. Vaughan, a Texas blues guitarist used rock and blues together. Ray Charles, who recorded gospel and jazz influenced blues, creating what would become known as soul, also recorded country music with his trademark sound. By fusing the two genres, Charles pioneered the style of country soul, most famously on his landmark album Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music, and influenced similar efforts by Candi Staton and Solomon Burke. A very strong example of fusion music can be seen in the Middle Eastern influenced Franco-Arabic music as personified by Aldo. In Franco-Arabic music we see a blend of Arabic music styles with many western styles from rock to pop and Euro styles to folk music. Another interesting example of fusion music can be found in the blend of traditional Chinese instruments (pipa and ruan) and Western and jazz compositions blended by Jie Ma.

Fusion music as a genre broadened the definitions of jazz, rock and pop music. Now there were more flexible conventions that an artist could follow or not and still have a hit song. A perfect example of this would be Herbie Hancock Herbie Hancock - fusing jazz, funk, rock, and smooth tones to accomplish a new, rounder, more cultured sound for his band. See Head Hunters or Thrust (album). These sounds generally consisted of a standard rhythm section: Bass, drums, and guitar (sometimes) and then layered keyboard tracks of rhodes, strings, clavinet, organ and synthesizers. Atop all of this, sampling had been introduced as well as new technologies such as the talk box, or vocator.

3. 340647
    Phyruis : Sun 20th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

but the wiki tends to lie at times

4. 303802
    minette : Sun 20th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

hehehe... i'm still reading your first post ;)

5. 247253
    n0mad23 : Sun 20th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

When I joined the site, I was under the impression that Fusion only applied to Jazz.

I find the Wiki definition rather liberating, as Fusion really is broader than a single sub-genre. It also really helps artists like myself who are blending several to many traditions. For example, I use a lot of "Ethnic" (but what isn't ethnic, right?) instruments and rhythms and even melodies, but draw a lot from Dub aesthetics and also from Psychedelia.

Fusion makes a lot of sense in terms of your music, Minette. The "traditions" are usually pretty obvious in your work, but you frequently fuse two or three of these traditions simultaneously. What do we call music that has yet to be defined?

6. 67443
    SLAPJOHNSON : Sun 20th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

Grafting styles...

Cheers, Slap...

7. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sun 20th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

" " :)

8. 339043
    StephenPotter : Sun 20th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

So essentially, every multi-genre song is fusion?

9. 306233
    Salook : Sun 20th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

Grafting Styles! nice one, the way I see it is that fusion isn't necessarily genre crossing...how about crossing old music with new music but from the same genre..a fusion of old and new...check out music from the Humps..a fusion of the old and new.

10. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sun 20th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

Oops don't know how that happened...Fusion to me is what I play,a blend of jazz and rock..but it's the 21'st Century so I guess it has a different and probably literal meaning now.

11. 95108
    TheseMetalDays : Sun 20th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

to planetjazzbass fusion is same as blending jazz and rock like some bands did in the 70's (Mahavishnu etc.) but blending can done with other genres too, so step to the present planetjazzbass.

12. 375728
    Cybertooth : Sun 20th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

course then again, IDM/Electronica is pretty much any electronic music that isnt neccessarily intended to be danced to
    and avant garde is pretty much defined by intention
    ambients pretty much anything you dont want in the foreground
    and downtempo has a lot of names, including trip hop and chill out depending on which you are more influenced by i guess....

we got a lot of things like this huh?
    i just stick it under electronic, fusion or ambient and call it experimental

13. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Mon 21st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

@TheseMetalDays....well I believe in the back to the future scenario..everything I do is in the present but dripping with past memories and influences,it's not where I'm going it's where I've been,..I'm into metaphysics so I feel comfortable in any time zone,era,fashion,musical style...but getting back to fusion, if I'm not in the present where exactly am I..fusion is never dated it's an ongoing construct,in my eyes anyway....cheers planet

14. 95108
    TheseMetalDays : Mon 21st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

when I entered this site a couple of years ago I thought fusion meant mere fusion between jazz and rock but thanks to this site my views have broadened

15. 372886
    Bilbozo : Mon 21st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

If you look up Fusion in the Dictionary its says "See PlanetJazzBass"

16. 158799
    alividlife : Mon 21st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

If I didn't have to pick genres--- I would not bother---, and I would feel much better about uploading music on to looperman.

I have always been against genres, but I will readily admit I would absolutely use them to describe stylistic approaches.

My personal view is that ALL music is in fact fusion of the creators past, and the moment they created it. I hold a reservation towards the human "Pack-Animal" ideal that things need to be grouped with a like group, and you get retarded crap like the 2,000 types of metal genres (basically every metal band creates their own genre) and that completely fake association. "Oh he does Rap? I do rap, we must be bros."
    When in fact they are completely different humans with completely different styles and points of views.

I think this feeling probably stems from me always relating style NOT from genre, but from the artists that a such and such artists "learnt" from?

You know?.... I would say my influences, or your influences are much more important the "fusion" genre, and whatever the faceless critics decide it is this year or whatever.

17. 158799
    alividlife : Mon 21st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

hehe, I second Bilbozo.

Posts 1 - 17 of 17

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums