See our Outer Space RE-201 emulator By AudioThing Review

Emotions Affecting Your Music

Posts 1 - 25 of 56
  1. 372488
    CrashTheSystem : Tue 1st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

We all know that emotions affect art. Van Gogh's paintings were some of the greatest known to date and much of his work was done while he was in an incredibly depressive state.

I have found that the best of my music comes out when I too am depressed. I make music all the time but if I am cheerful and happy my music's just, not as good. It lacks the natural emotion that music should evoke.

So, out of curiosity, what emotional state brings out your guys' best music?

2. 673599
    Metabolic : Tue 1st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

same here but i keep that stuff for sittin in my room with ma guitar but normaly my emotional equation is ............no sleep bout 12 cups of coffee sum er 'fun' with the gf the start makin tunes around 3 in the mornin till bout half 7 when everyone wakes up, also occaionally ill start a tune all normal an straight headed then have a little j so im not baked but happy an then get to it hence why my tunes are so crazy, weird n heavy

3. 517658
    dv8 : Tue 1st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

Nope. I produce when I've got spare time. I get an hour a day max in front of the DAW (fkin hate my day job).

No pain or angst here. Just looking for some spare time!

4. 340647
    Phyruis : Tue 1st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

I tend to find if I'm tired nothing comes out... I open up my DAW and not..A ...Thing...it's very frustrating and the more frustrated I get the more time I spend playing games on me PC and the less music I get made... then I get hooked and a month has gone by...DAMN YOU CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER!!!

5. 158799
    alividlife : Tue 1st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

I am actually convinced of this.

I typically write things in spurts, and of course I think often about the theory of "mastery"

where, you go constantly hitting your head against the wall, and then suddenly having inspiration and then once again reach a plateau in your skills.

Loops have been an effective escape for me recently, altho I still think about writing music often.

What was it that.... George Sand said?

“Art for art’s sake is an empty phrase. Art for the sake of the true, art for the sake of the good and the beautiful, that is what I am searching for.â€Â

6. 366784
    yeshintae : Tue 1st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

There's a point after I've hit so many
    roadblocks while making a track then
    inspiration hits me like a brick and I just
    run after it! Usually occurs when imma either
    really tired or really baked... lmao

Peace from LA

7. 236283
    JWilson : Tue 1st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

I'm a spur of the moment guy myself. If something just pops up in my head, it usually stays there for a while until I actually put down on something. I think we all have different inspirations that spark at different times. Which makes each of sounds really unique.

8. 372488
    CrashTheSystem : Tue 1st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

Huh. Fascinated answers to say the least. Awesome to learn how everybody's inspired.

Except you dv8. Cuz you have a shtty job. Heh. Sorry bro. Will be wishing for spare time for ya!

9. 441709
    kerry : Tue 1st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

i find it easy to do songs when im down i think i made my best songs while being down when i feel ok they dont come out right or sound right
    kerry : )

10. 636839
    simmerdown : Tue 1st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

dv8 you are already back at it? was that a automatic car wash/brain surgeon you went too? lol

glad to hear it!

11. 666289
    FreeRadical : Tue 1st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

Only the emotion of whether or not i can be ar$ed to do it really.
    I'm not sure that really counts.

12. 294525
    Mayz : Tue 1st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

Depression has motivated me a ton, many things in the last 9 years that i have been through with my ex and children have driven me to become depressed and angry, and most of all motivated me to write better than i ever had before. I use my emotions to make these songs and to let go of the demons that try to control my feelings.

13. 438673
    DJSchmeeJ : Tue 1st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

@Mayz22
    yeah man sometimes you just gotta get it out of your system before you can let it go! Hang tough Fam!

14. 102820
    TraXnCtrl : Tue 1st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

like dv8 its more time than emotion for me.....but I do try to create emotion within the track

15. 467784
    Sourgirl : Tue 1st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

My best work is spur of the moment stuff. I'll either already be in some kind of mood (usually depressed, lol) and then I start listening to the sound loops I have and putting things together, then the lyrics come to me. I usually have to lay down the vocal track 200 times before I'm happy ;-P Actually, the only song I didn't have to do that for was the "I'm Sorry" song on my page. I was missing my friend who died and it just came to me all at once. Didn't even write the lyrics down. So far, it's gotten good reviews from my friends. Music comes from the soul. To have it come from anywhere else...it just doesn't sound right. IMHO

16. 423563
    2secondimpression : Tue 1st Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

if im happy the song is happy, if im sad so is the song.

17. 505173
    tranquilldove : Mon 14th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

Anger. It's such a passionate emotion. Depression not so much, cuz then im just lazy. But anger I get most creative.

18. 289147
    sumerlin : Mon 14th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

i find that the emotions are like eb and flow some times its the music im creating that produces the emotion and others its the emotion that creates the music but most of the time its a mix of the two. as for what emotion helps me to produce ? id have to say all of them. they all have played a part in helping me to feel my way through a block or a time in my life ect.. ect..
    yeah in done now!:) peace pot and micro dot!

19. 224104
    Mosaic : Mon 14th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

Hey all

Liking this thread..

For me emotions come fairly easy for my tunes, mainly sad tunes, but heaps of emotion, nearly 46yrs so had a lot of very bad and sad times through out my life, mainly as a child/teen, a lot you guys and gals will never ever know about, only one person here on the loop knows what I have had happen to me, but on the upside I am the happiest I have ever been now, but still enjoy doing the sad tracks as a healing process, prob the best thing for me is when my fellow peers here, play and review my tracks they can feel the feelings that I want to shine through...

As someone said to me in a review, music is a like a canvas, a very good way to get feelings out to help the healing...

Okies thats my 2 bobs worth

Again CrashTheSystem a good thread...

Peace
    Estefano

20. 438673
    DJSchmeeJ : Mon 14th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

whats really funny is that I can be in a good mood and sit down and play something "thoughtful" on the guitar or piano, and my whole mood shifts! Music effects my mood and emotions very easily. Thats why I try not to listen to country music (unless its the upbeat "honky tonk" variety) too much. My wife loves it, and as a DJ (in Tennessee and Kentucky) I have to play it at bars and weddings... a lot! So I try not to attach myself to the music while I'm performing. I have to be very careful about what I let myself hear.

21. 428278
    fixxxer : Mon 14th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

I have massive mood swings have done since I was a teenager. One extreme to the other. But I think the best stuff of mine comes out when I'm totally relaxed. If I'm feeling any emotion strongly it's just not happening. I lock up creatively.

22. 372488
    CrashTheSystem : Mon 14th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

Haha wow suprised to see this one back up.

I actually didnt even think of the fact that the music could affect me instead of me affecting the music, though im pretty sure its true for almost all of us.

Its funny the huge range of creativity here. Some people when their sad, some when their bored, some when their pissed, some when their relaxed, truly fascinating to say the least.

23. 636839
    simmerdown : Mon 14th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

i'm actually very happy-go-lucky in real life, try to keep it positive and help as i'm able...but all my work seems to come out like some kind of deranged tweaker, lol, go figure...when i try to make a ligther, happy sounding thing it always sounds sappy and stupid, lol, so i glitch it up and switch to minor and odd keys, ahhhh...much better

24. 306233
    Salook : Tue 15th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

http://talentdevelop.com/articles/Page91.html

25. 166799
    goosemeyer : Tue 15th Feb 2011 : 10 years ago

I'm not what you'd call a positive person. when I got my first guitar at 12, I finally found peace. It's my Zen time. I can be so focused on music that I get to escape a while. Listening to music is different. I associate songs with good or bad memories or what they mean to me, but playing is an all focus sport. If it weren't for music, I'd probably be messed up or medicated. as long as I have my outlet, my safe zone, I'm okay.

Posts 1 - 25 of 56

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums