Jimi Hendrix The Greatest Guitarist Ever

Posts 1 - 25 of 84
  1. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Sat 14th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist ever in the history of music! Bar none past or present. Am I wrong?

FLS

2. 340647
    Phyruis : Sat 14th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

absolutely ... eric clapton close second

3. 270061
    JoyfulWAVE : Sat 14th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

R.I.P. Jimi...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AuxJH2Mj30&feature=related

4. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Sat 14th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

I changed my Avatar to show my love and appreciation of Hendrix

FLS

5. 230755
    Unknown User : Sat 14th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

Bar none, man. Absolutely!

6. 220346
    Peres : Sat 14th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

The greatest ,no argument straight up! Prince has to be up there ,many people don't know he is a wicked guitarist moreso than a singer!

7. 372886
    Bilbozo : Sat 14th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

Jimi was a pioneer for sure. He shaped the way a lot of other guitarists who are also great that followed.

8. 308224
    theHumps : Sat 14th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

Jimi's a great rock guitarist, no doubt. Loved Townesend as well as Mark Knopfler and that Gilmore dude!

But Mr. Guitar rocked till he passed away not long ago in his 90's. Les Paul himself, 76 in this video, killing a classic song on what else, a Les Paul. This guy played it all, even invented multitrack recording and reverb and many other things we all use today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzga5kA1wPY&feature=related

9. 230755
    Unknown User : Sat 14th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

Oh yeah, Humps mate you reminded me. David Gilmore ought not be left out of this list!

10. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sun 15th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

This topic is very close to my heart and arguably Jimi was indeed the greatest guitarist ever,but we need to put things in perspective...Jimi died when he was 28 years old and by that time he had single handedly changed the role and perception of what a guitarist could and should be..I lived through Jimi's ascendency and felt first hand the impact of his music.
    It came tearing out of the blue like the will of God,finally here was music with vision,nobody had heard anything like it before,these were new sounds,new directions,a room full of musical mirrors....music that was as bold as love and eagerly consumed by an expanding youth culture that was ready for change and unconstrained jubilation.........Technically Jimi was a superb exponent of the guitar,he was a blues player at heart and many of his tunes use that genre's template....my personal opinion of his status is tempered here against the backdrop of the whole of the guitar's scope in musical history...yes Jimi changed the world forever within rock and roll,and yes he is an icon...but the best guitarist ever..I would have to say no..the technical abilities of Segovia and his control and understanding of music make Jimi's inroads pale in comparison,that's just my opinion....Jimi though was an innovator and like many of these throughout history has cemented his place firmly as the pre-eminent guitar player of the twentieth century.

11. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Sun 15th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

@ PlanetJazzBass

Very well said and very insightful. Wikipedia said:

"He is often considered to be the greatest electric guitarist in the history of rock music by other musicians and commentators in the industry, and one of the most important and influential musicians of his era across a range of genres."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimi_Hendrix

12. 247253
    n0mad23 : Sun 15th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

I think Jimi would have dug the appreciation, but would have scoffed (even at 28) at being labeled "the greatest."

Dude was a sonic sorcerer. People like that know better. It's one of the reasons they're so good.

13. 366784
    yeshintae : Sun 15th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

i think EVERY MEMBER of DREAM THEATER...

should be a member of the BEST musicians in the world...

LOL

Peace from LA

14. 83445
    JohnBoutilier : Sun 15th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

John Lennon once said that he and Paul would leave the studio feeling pretty good about what they had done that day. Then they would meet up with Mick and Keith and go out for a few drinks. Lennon remarked on how all their jaws dropped when they saw Jimi doing his thing.

My fav Hendrix song: Hey Joe

All The Best

John

15. 372886
    Bilbozo : Sun 15th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

You have to remember Jimi Hendrix did a lot of "firsts" which paved the way for a lot of other guitar players as an influence but they took things and took it to other heights that Jimi could not of imagined or likely realized. I don't think there really is a "Greatest guitarist of all time" to be honest. You are talking about so many varied styles and genres of music to generalize thatr statement to any one single person.; Jimi was legendary, yes...innovative, indeed, influential...absolutely. I mean when Clapton and Page saw him play live, they actually thought their careers were finished. The "Greatest guitarist of all time?" I think it's a matter of taste and opinion. It's a pretty bold statement. I was a young kid when Hendrix was alive, and I have seen a million other guitarists since then. Hopefully this thread is not a challenge to prove a point because it's pointless to try to convince people who have their own opinion. I love Jimi Hendrix, however I respect anyone who also says that Page, Clapton, SRV, Vai, Satriani, Segovia or Eric Johnson was also the greatest of all time. It's really how you perceive the qualities of peticular artist to be.

16. 158799
    alividlife : Sun 15th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

My favorite Jimi Hendrix moment was when he was being interviewed on some late night talk show, and they asked him, "So are you the greatest guitarist ever?"
    and he laughed and he said that everyone in the room was the greatest guitarist.

I totally got that.

He practically invented distortion and made the wah-wah and LFO filters common practice, and integrated feedback into music, and made reverb more common.

Yeah.. Jimi was super bad.

It's really too bad more people do not think like Jimi Hendrix did. He was the man.

As far as sonic innovators nowadays, it's really slim and thin' which is sad to me. Everyone is really at best just a copy cat of some pre-form. Some kinda reiteration of the past.

I think to myself .. like people like Kaki King and that Andy Mckee dude, who left off where Micheal Hedges was have done some very very cool and innovative stuff with the guitar, but still haven't tapped into that brute emotional sexuality that Jimi did.

Who else... the dude from Radiohead and Tom Merello of Rage Against the Machine are two guitarist that are pushing guitar tone and processing into really wacky untouched areas...

But all in all, no one even compares to Jimi....

But now.. in my head, I really don't think there truly is "The Greatest".

I will stick with "totallybadass" but I wouldn't go straight to "greatest".

17. 158799
    alividlife : Sun 15th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

Wait.. I retract the statement about the distortion and the LFO lol...
    I think Jimmy Page had more to do with the initial distortion "pedal"...
    But Jimi Hendrix really opened up sonic doors for all music.

Favorite Jimi Hendrix song is "Manic Depression".

Mitch Mitchell was super bad too. hehe

18. 400188
    AllenV : Sun 15th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

Yea this is a tough one for me and I agree with PJB and Bil...Jimi was a pioneer and Segovia's technichal abilities can't be matched.The greatest can be a broad statement and means something a little different to all of us but I'm a player as many of you are and that changes my perspective also...do I go with technical or who moves me the most emotionally,the best guitar tone,the best songs? and for many Jimi was all these things.I've become fans of guitar players cause of one song before.I also like happy guitarists...the one's who smile and seem to love every thing about the instrument and just love to play,so it does get personal.

Jimi opened the door and his music still stands up today...I guess it's hard for me to give it all to one person tho...and that would be the greatest...I know we all have met people that have a favorite band and to them that is their greatest guitarist,to the biggest Zep fans it may be JP,to others it will always be Clapton but they're all different.
    I always thought Al di meola was it,and still do...then I heard Eric Johnson and thought he was the most unique player I had ever heard.
    Les Paul was a genius and yes I love Roy Clark...there I said it...Ricky Scaggs and all those bluegrass guys blow me away and very special to me is a christian guitarist by the name of Phil Keaggy,very much a pioneer in bringing quality guitar to the christian music of the 70's and 80's, and still plays today.

But this is about Jimi and his influence on all of us.He didn't play it safe musically,which was good for us...but he didn't play it safe personally which is a tragedy, so thankfully the music he left behind and the way we approach the electric guitar is his legacy.

I agree yeshintae...Those Dream Theater guys are from another planet and can't be judged by our earthly rules:)

19. 422882
    BluntsAndBeats : Sun 15th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

im kinda biased towards david gilmour to be honest :) but thats just who i have always listend to. I love hendrix tho dont get me wrong but its a lil rough for my style :) he pioneered so much for the rest of the electric guitar world and i love him for that

20. 409969
    skope : Sun 15th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

hendrix is most definately the most influential and my personal favourite but i don't think anyone can be called the greatest player of any instrument. it's a question of styles and tastes. what if you are a turtleneck wearing wine connoisseur that listens to classical music? could you regard hendrix as the greatest?
    and we mustn't discount the people that gave hendrix his inspiration,people like ledbelly and robert johnson...hey it's old and crude to some,but they had massive talent and very little tools. also his contemporaries like jimmy page,robbie krieger.etc
    or even today...that's an easy one. john butler

(+)

21. 442406
    KATETHEGREAT : Sun 15th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

Mark Knopfler! Jimi was great, but seriously overrated, my friend. :)

22. 340647
    Phyruis : Sun 15th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

@KATETHEGREAT definitely not over rated the guy changed how people thought about playing the guitar.... clapton and beck reportedly changed their playing style after seeing him play..in my opinion we have him to thank for the face melting solo and bands like sabbath and zeppelin... the man was metal before metal existed

23. 116341
    Salkizar : Sun 15th Aug 2010 : 11 years ago

Jimi was a legend in his own right. He inspired countless thousands, if not millions of young guitar hopefuls and still does to this day. As does Clapton, Paige, Satriani, Slash, May..the list goes on.....

Greatest of all time is such an easy statement to make and an almost impossible one to prove. All great guitarists are the greatest of all time depending on who they have influenced. But then we get back to personal opinions and if we all thought the same thing then life would be pretty boring...wouldn't it!

24. 630386

@ AllenV

I get where you are coming from man. Putting "The Greatest" label on anyone can be hard thing to do but in no way is it meant to take away from those great guitarist musicians before him or after him. Take for instance boxing, Mohammed Ali is considered by the vast majority in boxing as the Greatest Boxer there ever was past and present. This is not meant to diminish or minimize the great champions before him or after him and those who contributed to the sport of boxing.

So I did mean who's your favorite all time guitarist, but I guess I should of said who would history regard as the greatest all time guitarist that ever lived. Many will say the ones you stated, but an overwhelmingly vast majority would say Jimi as my Wikipedia reference assertion confirms.

25. 630386

Ooops typo:

The Line:

So I did NOT mean who's your favorite all time guitarist,

Posts 1 - 25 of 84

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.