The Funk Logbook

Posts 1 - 25 of 49
  1. 630386
    Unknown User : Wed 4th Aug 2010 : 8 years ago Hello, okay here it is JoeFunktastic, the unofficial Looperman.com Funk authority, remember I said unofficial. I think some of you were waiting for me to do this. I am not doing this because it's trendy but it is something I feel I must do and it music I believe in and fondly love. If you check my profile and my songs you might understand why a little bit better.

Respectfully, out of all of the logbooks I read here on this site none of them have the rich long standing history that Funk has. It went through many worldly cultural episodes and changes to include, segregation, war, poverty and religious situations. Many of the Electronic Genres of today, you can nearly almost pin point it's origin, approximate date of creation and people who made it happen in those Genres.

So you thing James Brown, the Godfather of Soul started it all, WRONG! Ever wondered why they called him first a Godfather and not a King, like in Michael Jackson's moniker The King of Pop and Elvis Presely's moniker The King of Rock and neither did those two people invent that Genre like James Brown's relationship to Soul, R&B or Funk. James Brown as a very young man gave his Funky credit influence to the 1950's performer Little Richard. So, does that make Little Richard the King, No! Also with James Brown why did they pick Soul? They should of at the very least called him the Godfather of Funk, or the King of Funk, but many would have had a serious issue with that as well.

Funk's early origins was primarily an underground genre played by African Americans in the early 1900's. This fact I found in a search on Wiki. But you got to remember the time, blacks could not vote in America, they were made to sit in the back of the public buses, Remember Rosa Parks, they were forced to sit in the back of restaurants near toilets or kitchens in many cases, and had white only water fountains and Colored people water fountains. It was a tough time if you were a Black Funk musician in those days. The history of Funk get pretty fuzzy when you go deep into it's origins. There were many influential performers but not one can lay claim as its creator or inventor or one who got it all going,

All Genres evolved from other ones and Funk is no exception. It's a Genre that has roots in Soul, Blues and Black Gospel music. And as it was taking shape it wasn't until the 1960's where the Bass guitar was put front and center in this Genre as the instrument that pretty much defines Funk even though there are many other instruments. Before the mid to late 60's, the Bass guitarist was just one element of the band an not really anything special until Funk came along and trusted the bass guitarists to the Forefront. One bass guitarists and preforming artist come to my mind right away when I say that is Bass guitarist and musical performer Bootsy Collins who also had many collabs with P-Funkster George Clinton.

In the 70's Funk evolves to being a genre that's associated with lots more people of color, ethnic backgrounds and races and there were many strange, flamboyant and weird Funk performers such as George Clinton's Parliament-Funkadelic band. Funk music was very mainstream and was played on the radio a lot when I was growing but not today. Performers such as Rick James, Cameo and the Gap Band started to inject sensuality and some '70's Disco influence into their music. By the time the '80's came around artists like Prince stripped even more layers away until there was almost nothing left and then at that point we started noticing the Funk Genre being force off the radio altogether, Damn!

But in a way it refused to die because back in late '70's in the South Bronx of New York City there was a guy who was called DJ Kool Herc who was legendary at helping to establish Rap and Hip-Hop as a legitimate artform. His artform was later perfected by artists such as Grandmaster Flash, who was recently inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. But they both looped Funk and disco records in a repetitive live loop so that their rhyme sayers could spit a few bars freestyle. James Brown had become mighty irritated by all of this because it was mostly his material rappers chose to live loop and then later have pressed onto vinyl records. He did not get much in the way of financial compensation from those early hip-hop sampling artists who used his material illegally.

Today's Funk is really hard to recognize sometimes especially if you come from my longstanding exposure to it. Most of it is Electronic Synth based Funk complete with turntable scratches sometimes. In away Funk is melting right into the Hip-Hop Genre. To hear traditional style Funk, you got to turn back to Internet. To see musicians like AllenV on this site is a real treat for traditional Funksters like me.

Funk, like many other early popular Genres had structure in many of its songs. You had an intro, a chorus, a main verses, a bridge and an outtro. Most of what I hear today is just the main hook, over and over. Also in those days you read sheet music and you turned those notes into music with a real physical instrument and not with a sampler, synthesizer, computer or drum machine. Today, to make music you really don't have know anything about it, like, what is a G clef ? and what's a 3/4 beat? What does it mean to play in the key of "F", you get idea. I saw many user profiles who say they don't know how to play a physical musical instruments. That is fine, I have no problem with that because that's what is being played and sold on the radio these days anyway.

And oh yeah, I haven't forgotten about bands like Grand Funk Railroad who released their first album in 1970 which was called On Time. In December of 1970 they played in Madison Square Garden and tickets sold out in less than 2 hours. Only the Rock band Icons the Beatles did the ticket sold out thing faster in those days.

Many of the Genre that are played on Looperman.com have origins in Funk.

My Favorite Funk band Instruments:

The Bass Guitar
    Rhythm Guitar
    Rhodes
    Shakers
    Congas
    Bongos
    Keyboards
    Horns
    Sax
    Drums

All Real instruments and not virtual or synthesized.

With the rich history of Funk, there is so much I left out and so much more that could be said so please help me please. Does your Genre have some funk elements? What's your favorite historical fact about the history of Funk?

Peace and may the Funk be with you,
    JoeFunktastic
  2. 247253
    n0mad23 : Wed 4th Aug 2010 : 8 years ago I, for one, salute the creation of this logbook. The logbooks are for serious discussions and a place for us to share insights about what actually constitutes a musical form.

I love how you've started this with a historical overview! I've actually been listening to more Funk than Blues lately, and found myself wondering about the connection between the two. While offering up very different emotional vibes, it seems really evident that they're branches from a common source.

Having spent part of my youth in West Africa, I particularly like this genre because of the similar sensibilities I hear in the melodies. The use of strings in the Sahel (sub Sahara) in particular remind me both of Funk and the Blues.

I pulled up rei4real's "lazy afternoon jam" before sitting down to write this, and was surprised how much I heard sounds that would be totally familiar in Mali or Niger on this listen.

Perhaps then, one of the great strengths (and lasting power of the genre) has to do with its ground in a kind of musical fusion. Great stuff to think about, and a music that definitely makes the listener feel good.

rei4real - "lazy afternoon jam"
    https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/3068
  3. 247253
    n0mad23 : Wed 4th Aug 2010 : 8 years ago Having just listened to JoeFunktastic' P-Funk remix, I have to recommend pulling up this track. Seriously drips with George Clinton funk.

"Tha Funky Mutha Ship Has Landed"

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/75197
  4. 630386
    Unknown User : Wed 4th Aug 2010 : 8 years ago Sorry don't know where the strange characters in the print came from. Shan can you help me on this one

Thanks,
    FLS
  5. 630386
    Unknown User : Wed 4th Aug 2010 : 8 years ago Thanks n0mad23 for plug, comments and support. Mighty cool man!

May the Funk be with you,
    FLS
  6. 400188
    AllenV : Wed 4th Aug 2010 : 8 years ago I'm listening to FLS' track right now..Wow.This is what it's all about.I remember as a kid hearin'Give up the funk for the first time and what an effect it had on me.FM radio was kickin' in and they sensored"mutha sucker"from the song,at first they actually muted it...we've come a long way!

I think this is great because my oldest daughter is 27...yea,that makes me old...but they are asking me about this music and did I ever play any back in the day cause it's cool.kids are asking me about bass,not because they want to just bang on it,but to set the groove...they want to slide into that pocket.
    As a guitarist in the 80's it was a juggling act between rock and pop,FLS is right... at the time funk got bunched with disco and pop and seemed to lose it's identity but as it was said it refused to just roll over and nOmad you are right,it does make you feel good.When I record it, it makes me smile,when I listen it makes me smile and when we talk about it...yep,smilin' right now.
    It's interesting how a genre can be described as a feeling.Someone asked a friend and I exactly what funk was and we just looked at each other and smiled..we had a hard time putting that feeling into words so thanks out to JoeFunktastic for this description.
    I don't think I've added anything that hadn't been said but I just wanted to get in on the feel good and smile:)
  7. 630386
    Unknown User : Thu 5th Aug 2010 : 8 years ago AllenV, I am so glad you decided to weighed in on this forum. It does seem Funk is making a bit of a come back. Allen, yes you and musician like you add overall quality and legitimacy to this site just by being members even if you or they never wrote one word in the forums. If I did a role call for all musician, and I mean the one who actually can play a physical instrument in a band and can read and play music from a sheet the list would be fairly small I am certain.

You most certainly added to this forum because there are many other stories about Funk music that have never been told. As you know Allen, I used to produce in another Genre a while back. And man it left me empty and even feeling sad that I was sharing company with song that had explicit lyrics. And yes true I found Funk music made me feel the happiest and not all disappointed and stressed up. One time I saw your status description as "Happy". So I decided to be true to myself and just do what makes me happy. Funk Music.

Allen as I told you before, your music always inspired me. What would inspire many more people is to hear about your early band experience that would be something truly inspirational to hear about I am sure.

Sorry about the errors in the book, I am hoping to get it fixed.

Peace, and may the Funk continue to be with you!
    FLS
  8. 630386
    Unknown User : Thu 5th Aug 2010 : 8 years ago Logbook Entry:

Prince the artist of the '80s, when he started to slide down musically when his prime was done, I think he realize the impact he had on music and the gross error he made. He tried to start Genres called "New Power Soul" and he also made an album much later called 1-800-New-Funk but the damage had already been done. Even Prince could not undo what he did. Both Genres fell flat and he stopped promoting them.

FLS
  9. 412089
  10. 441076
    seafoid : Sat 21st Aug 2010 : 8 years ago Im not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but anyway

Since a lot of hip hop samples funk I was wondering could anyone tell me what key hip hop beats are normally in?
  11. 60800
    jahknow : Sun 22nd Aug 2010 : 8 years ago LOL @ key of hip hop beats.... LOL

In the mid 90's I was lucky enough to play ina band with a couple of true funks pioneers. One fellow had played with the Ohio Players as a youth and then went on to write and perform with War in the eraly years. The other guy was a funk/RnB song writer who had so many hooks you coulda called him a fisherman.

Me and my 2 other good friends were nothing more than a bunch of white boys trying to sound good. Once those two older brothas came on and started teaching us funk and soul, it was really something else all together. I taught myself bass control real quick once I got the funk in my blood.
  12. 630386
    Unknown User : Sun 22nd Aug 2010 : 8 years ago Jah Know, hey man! So we got celebrity greatness on our hands here and I am very honored to hear about such GREATNESS! The Ohio Players are Funk personified! "Fire" and "Love Rollercoaster" my 2 favorite songs from them.

And what's color, as long as you got the Funk that's all you really need. Grand Funk Railroad shattered walls of colors in 1970 as well. I'd love to hear more Funky stuff from you Jah Know. Personally I hope you are doing okay. Prayers and blessing.

FLS
  13. 60800
    jahknow : Sun 22nd Aug 2010 : 8 years ago The lead guitarist (I ONLY knew him as Love, he used no other name) wroye the guitar lick for Rollercoaster of Love , Funky Worm and several other great tunes from the Players. Everynow and then je'd get a twinkle in his eye and start playing a riff out one of those famous songs and just start laughing and carrying on like mad. :D

I really don't know how else to say it, but when that guy picked up the guitar and started to lay out licks over our base groove, it was like milk and honey! Sweetness just oozed out of his guitar with such grace and ease, it was just amazing.

The fella who wrote all our funky grooves was just a pop genius. He has oodles of back catalog songs ready to pull out and work over.

I REALLY need to find some of those old 4 track recordings and see if I can't sample em out , clean em up and post a few for your listening pleasure. We're talking 17 yrs ago.
  14. 493780
    theFISHface : Thu 16th Jun 2011 : 7 years ago Woah... Novels....
  15. 630386
    Unknown User : Fri 5th Aug 2011 : 7 years ago Wow! It's been a while since I posted in here.

Funk music, not too many people are doing it these days. By no means is it dead. Do you think Funk Music is dead? Why?

What I found is more than half of the genres on this site has either some origins or some kind of connection to Funk.

Hip-Hop, Glitch, Trance, Techno, RnB, Soul, Grime, Electro, Crunk, House, Disco, Dance, Pop, Jazz, Jungle, Blues, Deep House, Dubstep and still yet many more has came from Funk Music or has some kind of birth right connection to Funk Music. What do you think?
  16. 500608
    Hutch82 : Fri 5th Aug 2011 : 7 years ago The Funk is alive and kickin everywhere to my ears and to me that's great. I go back to classic funk all the time but it's permeated virtually every contemporary genre, funky bass lines every where, funky guitar everywhere and funky drummers live and electronic everywhere. These are groovetastic times...

a recent fave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHyalVRUXrA&feature=player_embedded

H
  17. 206459
    Filaofsoul : Sat 6th Aug 2011 : 7 years ago Hey Hutch82 you hit it on the nail with the link you posted!! and for what MR. Funktastic picked as instruments is spot on! Guitar, Bass, Rhodes Drums Congos and bongos with somebody's basement Man it got real funky!! Check this looping tune I produced with the simple Funk in mind!! Called Barbeque!! Yes Funk is ALIVE!! Filaofsoul

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/43045
  18. 630386
    Unknown User : Sun 7th Aug 2011 : 7 years ago Awesome! Yes they pushed Funk off the radio but it's much alive and lives in many other Genres too. So recently what I heard on the radio a few days ago left me feeling pretty empty. I hate listening to the radio but had no choice at the time.

I mean genuinely and truly, there are far better tracks here on this site. Most of the songs on the radio are now Synthed up, not necessarily a bad thing but I wasn't feeling it. Just the Oldies stations give you some relief these days and sites like these.

@Looperman, thanks for plugging me back into this one!

MrF
  19. 423992
    Carrol : Thu 5th Jan 2012 : 6 years ago Love funk going to see Earth Wind and Fire this year woo hoo!
  20. 630386
    Unknown User : Thu 5th Jan 2012 : 6 years ago Great Carrol! They are one of my favorite bands too. Oh you are so Lucky. I just so happened have done my own tribute to them.

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/115947

I hope you enjoy seeing them!
  21. 630386
    Unknown User : Sat 21st Apr 2012 : 6 years ago Hey! Where are all my Funk people at? In any regard I am still all about the Funk, Historically and Musically.

Many of today's Genres such as Techno, DubStep, Dance and Glitch has origins in Funk music. Agree or disagree. Why or why not?

In the meantime Funk to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II6_9GvpsW4
  22. 748139
    carlosnble : Sat 21st Apr 2012 : 6 years ago all right all right JoeFunktastic, i guess it's time to post my relationship with funk...I grew up in the motown era of the 60's and i danced quite alot in those days but the funk era music helped me evolove into the musician i became. Most of the funkateers you've mentioned i have had an opportunity to work with in one form or another... most musicians were pissed because the DJ was taking food out of our mouths..Luckliy i was a musician and could find work but it was an end to an era..There were a lot of bands in my city and it there was much competition in those days..we would go to see each other play, if we weren't working.. so it was a very competitive environment but no one hated each other. we just knew in order to get quality gigs, you had to bring your A game to an audition . e. Club owners realized that so it made us work hard (remember the term woodshedding)? thats so you could work on various aspects of your sound so you could bring the fire to the clubs. The bass is my primary instrument. My older brother was a bass player and he also was a great influence in my early musical upbringing he owned a rehearsal studio( major acts were always there getting ready for shows in town... influensed by mandrill, parliment funkadelic, ohio players rufus thomas archie bell and the drells james brown, brass construction, cameo, Graham Central Station, the Ohio Lakeside express other All in all my foundation in music is funk and jazz.. Many artists and producers on this site fell in love with music for their exposure to certain genres but funk helped me with certain things like RYTHMN(if your timing ain't right your funk ain't tight)SHOWMANSHIP, what moves and grooves people and work ethic. new generation artists who haven't played an instrument will never understand how important it was for us to be able to lock in a groove, because you couldn't quantize playing for real. in the studio days time was money..i could go on and on about those days..i just wanted to show my funk credentials....Funk For LIFE...PEACE
  23. 71369
    Unknown User : Sun 22nd Apr 2012 : 6 years ago A funk logbook by JoeFunktastic..... what could one ask more than this?! xD lolz
  24. 630386
    Unknown User : Sun 22nd Apr 2012 : 6 years ago carlosnble, It's truly great to have a Funk and RnB talent who has such an accomplished and experienced musical background.

Some of the groups you mentioned inspired me and has lead me back to my roots in Funk. My earlier exposure to Funk began with me as a Radio and Club DJ.

carlosnble thanks for brief Funky Summary!
  25. 630386
    Unknown User : Sun 22nd Apr 2012 : 6 years ago WaterminD that was funny, thanks. I am doing what I can to keep funk alive here.

I appreciate that WaterminD!
Posts 1 - 25 of 49

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured House Track