See our Outer Space RE-201 emulator By AudioThing Review

Equipement For Home Music Composibng

Posts 1 - 19 of 19
  1. 143356
    HaxBox : Thu 29th Jul 2010 : 10 years ago

Basically I gonna transform my office into a music composing engine, So far i Need a keyboard amrite?
    Well im in a Dillema with VST and Analog Synth
    And I'm looking what kind of equipement i need to make industrial music.

2. 274483
    xXSecretScienceXx : Thu 29th Jul 2010 : 10 years ago

jackhammers and drills?????mics????.......oh and a backho!!!

3. 605694
    LuckyFlaush : Thu 29th Jul 2010 : 10 years ago

I guess Komplete from NI will make you happy, for around 500 $.
    Then, a MIDI keyboard and a good mic. Also some quality headphones and speakers.

4. 143356
    HaxBox : Thu 29th Jul 2010 : 10 years ago

Mixers for recording?

5. 372886
    Bilbozo : Thu 29th Jul 2010 : 10 years ago

You can do mixing and mastering with softweare but you will also need a Studio Quality soundcard with Midi, Mic and 1/4" inputs. A decent one is about $300

This is the average price...you may find some lower or higher...but cost would be $1400.00

$300 - Soundcard
    $300 - Midi Controller
    $300 - DAW Software to record, mix/master
    $500 - NI Komplete VSTi & VST's

6. 143356
    HaxBox : Sun 1st Aug 2010 : 10 years ago

Cool, Are there some cool free DAW's? I'm using FL Studio, but im curious about some other software.

Now I'm in a dillema with Analog synths and VST+midi controllers.

But i believe having the second its way better,

7. 404736
    Lioncash : Wed 4th Aug 2010 : 10 years ago

The only decent free DAW that would be worth checking out would have to be LMMS (Linux MultiMedia Studio). It's cross platform so it runs on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. It supports MIDI keyboards like you need too.

Its Wikipedia page displays some of the features it has too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMMS

And the actual homepage would be here:
    http://lmms.sourceforge.net/

Also if you do buy speakers, remember this: even the less expensive ones can sound better than the ones that are more expensive ;)

I mean I'm still making all my stuff off of a 2.1 setup out of Altec Lansing Series 100 speakers and using JVC earbuds(in-ear type) as my headphones. Personally I find they still sound as good as normal 500$ speakers, but that's just me.

Just look for whatever you think sounds the best =)

I used this before I bought Cubase and FL Studio.

8. 438673
    DJSchmeeJ : Thu 5th Aug 2010 : 10 years ago

It's risky, but you can get some good stuff on eBay! I just put together a really nice studio using Reason 4 ($89 used on Ebay), a M-Audio Axiom 25 midi controller ($89), a Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum Ex sound card ($50) and from Musicians friend I found a KILLER deal on some KRK rokit 8 g2 monitors (I recomend spending as much as you can to get the BEST monitors you can get)... that are usually $500 for the pair... two nice MXL Stuio mics ($100 Usually), 2 boom mic stands, a nice pair of studio hdphn monitors, 2 mic cables, 2 inst. cables, a box of aurelex studio foam kit, a 2 gig flash drive... all for $379!!!! List on everything would usually be OVER $1500!! By the time I sell off what I don't need I will have paid about $100 or less for the pair! Just look in the studio bundles section to get a great deal on bundled stuff! My computer is a nice Dell that someone gave to me and I restored it and put 2 gig of memory in it. With all the cables, 26' tv/monitor, hardware etc. I probably have about $500 invested total! Thats for EVERYTHING! You do need to do your homework and check out the seelers you deal with, but it is possible to put together a nice $5000 studio for a few hundred dollars! And you can hear the end results on my site to www.myspace.com/catchyproductions to hear the quality of my cheap a** studio.

9. 174526
    Unknown User : Thu 5th Aug 2010 : 10 years ago

Computer and Keyboard.(and internet for other things) Of course cables and other accessories that connect the computer and the hardware. You can do Wonders with just that.

Neo

10. 330969
    DFury : Thu 5th Aug 2010 : 10 years ago

Check out the free DAW, I'm surprised to learn of that. If that doesn't cut it, I recommend Acid Music Studio 7 which is what I use, found it for $60 new online (bhphotovideo.com) and it's great for getting started sequencing and creating midi loops plus has good interface. Like Nuckinfutz says, M-Audio Axiom 25 is great value as midi controller, rather inexpensive and good quality, got mine for $125 on eBay and it's brand new. There are free drum machine software (i.e. Groove drum station DT-010) and I just got Native Instrument Battery 3 for $125 on eBay. Just to give you examples of what's out there for relatively cheap... - DF

11. 438673
    DJSchmeeJ : Thu 19th Aug 2010 : 10 years ago

I had a nice set of Dell 5.1 100w surround sound speakers that I thought sounded great! I sent off some of my stuff to be reviewed and the first comments always seemed to be about the sound quality. It all sounded really good to me (and I listened through a nice set of headphones as well), but if you are attempting to sell your music, the guy on the other end that is buying or even just auditioning your stuff HAS the nice $500 monitors that DO NOT LIE! Just some food for thought! A good way to really hear your stuff is to burn a cd with other pro quality recordings by your favorite artist and throw your songs in the middle randomly. Then play the cd in your car, home stereo and any place else with a cd player. Let it shuffle through and see if there is a difference in what your stuff sounds like, and what the pro stuff sounds like. Levels, panning and eq! Then go back and remaster as needed! Also make sure everything isn't in the same sound field (center channel). Spread it out a little.

12. 366784
    yeshintae : Thu 19th Aug 2010 : 10 years ago

personally i just use me laptop and FL Studio...

the wonders of SOFTWARE
    nowadays!

of course i have an okay set of speakers
    to mix me music through also
    ^.^

Peace from LA

13. 444193
    StereoMathematics : Thu 19th Aug 2010 : 10 years ago

heres what you do
    1: go to www.sweetwater.com
    2:buy everything with a protools logo on it.
    3:profit.
    yea right. that would work if you wanted a over the top high end studio set up. ($14,000 for 3 pci express cards with the pro tools core system on them...!)
    you dont need to go over the top on setting up a home studio tho. get the stuff you need then get the bells and whistles. start out with a good daw, like ableton. its kinda expensive, but well worth it. you can make industrial music on it im sure.(if youre handy with the internets you can find live suite 8.1.3 for free. thats all i wll say about that.) i know musiciansfriend.com has bundled packages, where you get a mic, a stand, a digidesign mbox and a pair of monitors for $400.
    as for that keyboard, if you end up getting ableton or not, buy an akai mpk. it is fact, they are the best keyboards out.(not based on any real fact. but they are top notch.)

14. 201127
    Pares : Thu 19th Aug 2010 : 10 years ago

this what you do. Buy FL 8 or 9. go buy the digi design mini M audion bundle which is like 700 bucks and a nice mic along with head phones and extra cables. everything ran me like 1600 at most.

15. 636839
    simmerdown : Fri 20th Aug 2010 : 10 years ago

ive done hours of research on midi keyboards, when i have the cash (~$400) this is the one im goin for, all around midi control and keys, great reviews

http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controllers/sl_mkii

----------------

as for daws, much controversy abounds...one dude who knows

"for me the 'sound' of Live is much better than in the beginning, where you had a major difference to sequencers like Pro Tools. But now, i mean the quality is quite equal"
    -Jean-Michel Jarre (referring to ableton live8)

16. 274483
    xXSecretScienceXx : Fri 20th Aug 2010 : 10 years ago

dude dbl...im getting that,,,,ty for the link

17. 636839
    simmerdown : Sat 21st Aug 2010 : 10 years ago

that thing must be so killer, ive heard nothing but good, pads knobs sliders and keys galore, plus i think it a major thing to have that small led strip that shows you what exactly you are mapped to, just a sweet lookin setup all in one it would seem...

enjoy man, i'm working toward it, it'll be xmas for me at the soonest....

18. 609523
    3rdNippleMusic : Sat 21st Aug 2010 : 10 years ago

oh yay.. LMMS looks cool for $FR.EE eh ?

thanks !

nv

19. 375728
    Cybertooth : Sat 21st Aug 2010 : 10 years ago

make a farm, and i am not talking about pigs and sheep, im talking computers. that way you can recycle the power of any crap computer you find for the greater good. obviously you want a pretty good one to start with, but the rest is just icing on the cake

Posts 1 - 19 of 19

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums