Hardcore And Hardstyle Logbook

Posts 1 - 7 of 7
  1. 322747
    KooLKYLE : Mon 12th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago PART 1 "the basic hardcore and hardstlye log book" by KooLKYLE

ok there is a few log books so i thought i would add another so hope you enjoy reading my work and sorry for the bad spelling lol also this would work at its 110% if you use fl9 but it is still great if you dont use fl9 i cover most basics :) so hope you enjoy....

hardcore basics: hardcore dosnt need to have a uplifting melody aslong as it has a fist pumping feel to it and is in the middle of 160-190bpm the avrage bpm for hardcore is around 170bpm and there needs to be lots of little fills and breaks to keep the energy moving nicley.

hardstyle basics: hardstyle can either be trippy with lots of strange sounds and melodys or it can be extremley uplifting and the bpms are useally around 145-165bpm but you can go higher depending on what your style is.

hardcore kick: basicly for the kick you need a 1/4 beat and one that has a good hit/ pounding feel to it but without distortion or if you feel adventureus you can add some dist to the kick but if you want to keep it in the soft core section i recomend you dont use distortion.

hardcore hihats & snares: you dont need anything spectacular just use a closed hat on each kick and a open hat in the middle of each kick also its nice to have a shaker in my opinion but you need a snare on every second beat to keep the song flowing.
    hardstle kick: ok hardstyle kicks are awkward there are many diffrent ways of making one...
    1. use a little distortion but keep the higher frequenceys lower than useall.
    2. reverb.. use a delayd reverb on a deep kick so that the reverb happens whare the bass normaly happens but still have a bass line backing it.
    3. just use a simple deep kick on its own with a very deep bass, it should work out fine depends what your style is.

hardstyle hihats & snares: you dont reely need alot of hihats when producing hardstyle mabey just a shaker and a open hihat in the middle of each kick but snares a essential, use a hard hitting snare on the kick with some varaition evry 8 beats or somthing and use it for building.

hardcore bass: a good hardcore bass is easy to make depending on your vsts if you use sytrus i recomend you check out my tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIt8Guq8nqg if you dont use sytrus i recomend useing a deep saw and square bass combined or a deep saw with a deep tri or a deep square with a deep sine and somthimes depending on your style you might want to add some distortion for that little extra..

hardstyle bass: hardstyle basslines are very tricky to perfect so what i recomend is a deep/sub sine and tri wave combined but about 2 or 3 steps before the middle of the kick and again depending on your style you might want some distortion.

hardcore synths: very simple to create a hardcore synth depending on wich vst you use if you use sytrus check out my tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZe-6TbETkk if you dont use sytrus all you need is a saw wave with some detune on it with some reverb and delay if you like.

hardstyle synths: hardstyle synths are just basicly the same as a hardcore synth but with more detune but if you want a tripy synth you should use reely high pitch sounds with some cool lfos and phasers.

hardcore and hardstyle strings: strings are easy to make from scratch if you know what you are doing but if you dont you just need to combine saw and sine with the smaest bit of detune then put on some attack to what you want then some release and mabey some reverb or if you want a choir type string combine a low level saw witha louder square and some sine you should get something good out of it. but if you have presets the best strings are classical like violines chelos etc

hardcore FX: what youuc need to do for a good rev FX is too use a noise wave with a cutoff lfo with attack or a high sine wave reving in with some attack and cutoff lfo with lots of delays these tecqunics can also be used in the oposite way insted of using attack use release. check out my tutorial for a good woosh fx with wasp xt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUD2bGn_eTk

hardstyle FX: hardstyle fx are usealy screaming type synths if you know what i mean so what i would recomend doing is having a very detuned and high pitched saw with lots of distortins and delays and probly with some reverb i dont usealy do hardstyle fx so im just working on what i hear.

again i am sorry for the bad spelling... this is the basic hardcore and hardstyle logbook to get you a basic know how of what to do when making these genres i will soon make part 2 "the advanced hardcore and hardstyle log book" but it will take some time so if you have any suggestions on what i should add into the next part please say :)

please dont say anything bad about this im just letting you all know my basics and trying to help others get into the harder side of music :) and plus iv just spent like an hour writeing this when i could be writing music :)
  2. 396949
    FDV : Mon 12th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago Nice starting point for the simple mainstream stuff. Hardcore is build with in your face sounds, distorted kicks with loads of filter tricks are a THE key part of hardcore. Without that it's not Hardcore

So here is a way of making those kicks
    Try to get it as distorted as possible without loosing the punch. You can achive this with 1 simple sample but you will have a much better result and more control when you make your own
    Most common way to make a HC kick is layering 2 or 3 sounds.

1 Just for the punch simple 909 sound with a short decay and no release
    2 & 3 Give the bassdrum its the colour, so use a lot of distortions, overdrives and filters. If you have a real mixer route trough a few channels and eq them in to red (dB meter) I use the third part to add that nice full low end.

Try give each part its own space by filtering the interfering frequenties and carving the envelope. I never use it but sidechaining is common trick to use here. This then should go thru a bus with a compressor, bassboost and mayby a amp or tube.
    At this point i'll usealy sample the result reload it and use that.

There is a lot of hardcore that plays with the bassdrum to add an extra dimension. You can use a number diffrent BD's filter some parts, keep in mind that that's something extra and dont overdo it. Some examples of how to use it by the artists how played big role in the way kick has evolved since 2000
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PIKj7rZtvI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_a5HcCAUbY&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucCTpHdNqY4&feature=related
  3. 322747
    KooLKYLE : Tue 13th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago great input man thanks i never thought of using 3 diffrent sounds for the kick then sampling itt that is a reely good i dea i dont know why i didnt think of that :)
  4. 375728
    Cybertooth : Tue 13th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago ive started a chain reaction....
  5. 375728
    Cybertooth : Tue 13th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago not that its a bad one, and probably DB is the original, but still....
  6. 375728
    Cybertooth : Sat 5th Feb 2011 : 7 years ago okay, so...
    can someone explain to me the difference between hardcore and hardstyle
    or what defines them as such
    because from what ive heard, i have a vastly different definition of "hard"
  7. 589966
    Unknown User : Mon 25th Apr 2011 : 7 years ago #spambgone#
Posts 1 - 7 of 7

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Samba Track