Trance Logbook

Posts 1 - 25 of 56
  1. 339043
    StephenPotter : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago Well, seeing as there is a glitch one and an ambient one, I thought I'd drag the logbook system into an area I'm more familiar with and give you some advice.

Drums

With the drums its not too complicated, a kick on the first 4 steps, a clap on every second kick (helps to have reverb on the clap) an open hat every two steps after the kick, and a closed hat on either every step or every two steps.

Pads

Pads play a big part in trance songs, usually supersaw/hypersaw pads are used. Good pad VSTs include Gladiator 2, Refx nexus, or if your looking for something cheap that can manage four notes, Ummet Ozcans genesis. Kore player is also quite good with pads as well, but most of the pads are quite harsh on your DAWs cpu. Sidechains are essential on pads, so make sure you figure out how to make them!

Plucks/guitars

Sometimes used, but not always, I find string theory is the best plugin to use for these, as it has a lot of unique sounds that can easily be edited. They normally have a bit of delay on them as well

Bass

Bass is also an important part of trance. Your going to want a plugin which has a built in cutoff editor, like Nexus, Sytrus (fl studio plugin) or Kore player. Its usually has some sort of sound change either progressively through 4 bars or 8 bars, or a quick boost up and drop down over one or two bars.

Vocals

Its rare to find a trance song with a male vocal in it, so your going to have to find a woman to sing it for you, or learn to use the fruity vocoder. The vocals have to be above the music and usually have a bit of reverb on them and sometimes delay.

Sweeps

Seems strange, but as well as adjusting the cutoff on the sweeps, you have to sidechain them as well at parts.
    They normally overpower everything else when they are on, and its a good idea to put a highpass on everything when the sweeps are on.

Example: Oceanlab-Beautiful together (includes almost everything I've mentioned, except the cutoff adjustment on the bass and the highpass sweeps.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOm-XzyJZKE

So, any other advice, leave it below! I'd love to hear it!

Ste :)
  2. 423821
    DeepMan : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago Thanks Stephen. Though you have written everything till where I know and I just want to add that in trance music many times transitions and build ups are made with help of snare rolls ( equally spaced snare hits that fades in towards the end)
  3. 339043
    StephenPotter : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago Yeah, forgot about snare rolls, intro drums etc

Intro drums you just need to hear an example of it, mainly its in hands up style songs.

4. 339043
    StephenPotter : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago Anyone else got anything to add? I know there are trance producers out there. I know your here.. somewhere. Probably asleep somewhere but still here.

Ste :P
  5. 677927
    Unknown User : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago im here lol
  6. 375728
    Cybertooth : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago shoulda expected this hehe, theres a dub one too
  7. 339043
    StephenPotter : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago Glad to see its not just me and deepman then.

8. 339043
    StephenPotter : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago @cyber I thought I'd make this one. I'd imagine it won't be long before the guitarists of the loop make a logbook as well.

9. 677927
    Unknown User : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago and may I add some real coo fx sounds helps to define a good trance track although you may not feel it may feel you dont need one some tracks do only when you sit back and listen to the track you will know if it needs an fx sound the track will tell you if you need one sometimes you can get carried away adding more samples and then you think nope thats not right so it helps if you can break your track i do this by thinking right i have a minute sample i save as take a break and come back with fresh ears so to speak and then you can validate the track better
  10. 339043
    StephenPotter : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago @Z2Z I think your right, FX are a massive part of trance, I can't really describe what they sound like apart from sweeps.

11. 375728
    Cybertooth : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago im a bit more well versed in techno than trance, but i like trance just as much. ill be watching this though, im not entirely sure what makes trance trance
  12. 677927
    Unknown User : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago yep lots of views on trance i think it should be a dreamy kind but others have ideas
  13. 339043
    StephenPotter : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago @Cyber I think I can compare myself to how your feeling. With glitch I knew of the two types you showed me that Autechre did. But Glitch hop? Glitchstep? I didn't have a clue.

I think what makes a trance song is the atmosphere, I think it is often confused with techno. I think Hands up is more of a dance genre than a trance one, trance songs tend to have more of a serious atmosphere around it that puts the listener into a trance.. I think thats how it got its name.

So heres some examples:

DT8-Destination (above and beyond remix) This one has the classic hypersaw pad I mentioned earlier in the thread at about 2:32.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7kLFrotaSY
    Reflekt-Need to feel loved
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14U_mS2IP0w

Theres also electronica, which is I think more like 90's/early 2000's trance, like these two:

Alice deejay- better off alone:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvalLXZ8Vuo
    ATB-9PM (till I come):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajdmA7qoYZ4

Examples of things I don't see as trance, but rather as cheap techno:
    Basshunter-Now you're gone
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgFwiCApH7E
    Scooter- Jumping all over the world
  14. 339043
    StephenPotter : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago Oops, dodgy last post. Heres the song.

Scooter- Jumping all over the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrPaEUjtYvQ

I don't see this as trance at all.

15. 677927
    Unknown User : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago spot on their stephen
  16. 247253
    n0mad23 : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago Here's the wiki link to help give some common definitions/assumptions to the discussion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trance_music

I find it interesting that this article lists Trance origins in House, Ambient, Industrial, and Electronic Art Music. It also attributes Klaus Schulze and Jean Michel Jarre as being the "godfathers" of the genre. Jarre's 1970 projects inspiring Schulze's 1980 work.

I suspected there were roots in Acid House (mid `80's Chicago underground transplanted into Europe via Genesis P`Orridge of Throbbing Gristle Fame), so it was cool to be motivated to look up the historical aspect here.

Good "logbook" thread Ste!
  17. 339043
    StephenPotter : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago I'm not too sure what a logbook was.. I just thought it was advice/tutorials/sharing songs. Is there more to a logbook than what I just said? Thanks for the link though Nomad.

18. 247253
    n0mad23 : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago @Stephen4705 - I put quotations around logbook as an observation that it's become its own genre here.

The "logbook" as it's being used seems to have become like a communal journal, which is what a logbook really is. I think it's become the best form of discussions as it invites all kinds of levels of participation.

I'm glad to see that it's taking a life of its own! It's a great place for people to share what they know about their musical passions, and a place for others to learn things that they probably wouldn't otherwise.

I'm waiting for ELSD's contributions here, as he embodies this stuff to me!

Wonder what the next logbook will be. Hip Hop? Dubstep? Folk? I can guarantee I'll be reading them!
  19. 270061
    JoyfulWAVE : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago ok...the scooter video is not cheap techno...scooter did cheap techno in the early of 90's...then they did alot of hardcore with vocals...but this video is a new style out of hardcore...it called JUMPSTYLE...you can see the guys jumping in a different style in the video...and listen to the track again...the kick..snare and bass hits all the same time...thats different about other styles...
    i guess scooter was coming first with this new genre...but its not my fav genre of electronics...
    nice thread btw...
    cheers...JW...
  20. 379853
    Alen9R : Thu 8th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago Trance it is not my genre, but I know that sounds, my two brothers are big trance fans!
    if I find something interesting about trance music, I'll post here!

About Scooter video in this video, where guys dance this dance is called DnB step,only is the choreography changed!
    Drum And Bass Step is a new dance style from Hungary. It is danced to Drum And Bass,
    a music-style from England. The Dance has spread from hungary over the whole world, from Russia to America People are stepping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcJspaD4rKI
  21. 339043
    StephenPotter : Fri 9th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago @Joyful I knew it was only a matter of time before you commented here. But yeah, I just read the comments, loads of people putting stuff like "Jumpstyle 4 life!" and I just don't get it. If I was like three or four maybe I'd have liked it, lol. But if people like scooter I'm not gonna stop them.

@9rihter I've seen people dance like that before, on this video my friend said was great... I can see this on a little kids programme in the future I swear! The beginning was ok. Then the vocals came in...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJ-f7H9awo

Keeping on topic, I'll give another electronica/90's trance song:

PPK-Ressurection
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipE9QFiWhzQ

22. 339043
    StephenPotter : Sat 10th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago Bringing this one back up, because I think it died before it was born... help revive it someone!

23. 379853
    Alen9R : Sat 10th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago The History and Different Subgenres of Trance Music

Defined loosely as a type of electronic-based music or club music, trance has
    a beat of 124 to 160 BPM and features repeated synthesizer grooves in the whole track.
    Sometimes including vocals, this genre is actually very similar to techno and house music.
    But mainly, the genre earned its label of trance for the repetitive sounds and beats that
    put a person in an almost trance-like condition. It is even said that trance music has a
    hypnotic quality which induces partygoers to dance until the wee hours of the morning!

Trance music traces its origins in Germany during the 90s when DJs began incorporating
    electronic sounds with psytrance in their music. As mentioned, this genre is considered
    by some to be comparable to techno and house music as they share the same elemental design
    with regard to their beats and rhythms. Trance music, however, has more melodies which were
    the trend in the European club stage then. In fact, early tracks of trance music generally
    have catchy tunes and increasingly repetitive rhythmic beats

Eventually, trance music began dominating the dance music scene just after a few years after
    its advent in Germany. Many DJs and artists began creating their own mixes and tunes of trance,
    which later on led to the creation of different subgenres for this music

Among the subgenres of trance is the acid style, wherein a bass machine is usually used to make
    edgy sound effects. Evolving from the original classic trance, acid trance dominated the club
    scene in the early 90s but during that time, another style of trance was slowly
    emerging - the progressive style. The progressive trance is a direct offshoot of acid style,
    and is actually considered the model for the modern trance genre. In progressive trance tracks,
    bassline and melodies dominate, producing an effect of fast and progressive soun

Shortly after progressive trance became popular, the anthem trance made its debut on the dance floor.
    In anthem trance, there is a prolonged progression on bass and treble elements which give the tracks
    stronger and distinct melodies. However, anthem trance is not the only subgenre that has earned
    its uniqueness in the area of melodies and beats. With its beginnings in India's state,
    Goa trance is also an early style of trance music and dance trance, distinctly characterized
    by energetic thumping drumbeats, rhythm, and loops. During its peak, Goa trance underwent a
    lot of musical experimentation which led to the creation of an altogether different sound of
    trance music, eventually known as psychedelic trance. The psychedelic style came into the
    trance mainstream during the mid-90s and was distinguished for its futuristic sound and vibe

Though the some, if not most, of the subgenres of trance rely heavily on equipment and remixes,
    trance also has subgenres that highlight the lyrical and vocal parts of music. For instance,
    the vocal trance is a type of music that features lengthy lyrics often sung by a female vocalist.
    In this subgenre, artists rarely sing in their own tracks. Vocal trance is mostly even confused
    with Euro trance because both styles employ vocals in their tracks. The main difference between
    vocal and Euro trance, however, is that Euro trance tracks are characterized by more enthusiastic
    lyrics and upbeat tunes - characteristics which are also reminiscent of tribal trance, only the
    tribal subgenre prevalently has ethnic sounds and bongo beats coupled with percussion and rhythm.

Indeed, whether it's the catchy melodies or the groovy rhythm, people just can't seem to resist
    dancing to the tunes of trance. With the various subgenres and new forms still emerging, there
    is no doubt that from its inception, trance has held countless partygoers all over the world
    spellbound and will still continue to dominate the club scenes around the world. Suffice it to say,
    dance music and party life would not be the same without trance.
  24. 379853
    Alen9R : Sat 10th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago I do not know why I post so always messy, and difficult to read, probably because I used an old copy from text doc.!
    sorry guys
  25. 339043
    StephenPotter : Sat 10th Jul 2010 : 8 years ago @9rhiter no worries, it was still quite easy to read, and it was good info!

Posts 1 - 25 of 56

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Chill Out Track