Click Here for new free VSTs & plugins added daily

The Dub Logbook Including Related Subgenres

Posts 26 - 50 of 189
  1. 341564
    arkeyetexture : Mon 17th May 2010 : 11 years ago

Yess-I! deep heavy wise n true are the words from the kind Breddren JahKnow! As my profile page says Dub is Spritual! when i am in my humble sound lab I am makeing joyful noises n Raiseing Praise up to Jah in my meditations. thats the key let Jah move ya an inspire. all credit fe me tunze gose up ta the Most High JAH RASTAFARI! Let H.I.M Be Praised!

2. 306233
    Salook : Mon 17th May 2010 : 11 years ago

Hey Jahknow, i am feeling you, before i listened to dub and reggae music i was ignorant and negative, it brought to me a new way of understanding and treating people and generally made me a more better person, and i believe as you say it is a medicine to drive out and upset those demons from within, tears of joy and sorrow truth and understanding.

Speaking again of Gary Clail, he crossed over into the main stream with his track 'Human Nature' many people would have classed him as a sell out, but he used the industry to project truth music and get it to the masses.

Yeah dub music is a connective tissue in the body of music.

Nice track, here's Devon Irons Vampire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-yOCiGoR8E&feature=related

3. 306233
    Salook : Mon 17th May 2010 : 11 years ago

Hey Jahknow, i am feeling you, before i listened to dub and reggae music i was ignorant and negative, it brought to me a new way of understanding and treating people and generally made me a more better person, and i believe as you say it is a medicine to drive out and upset those demons from within, tears of joy and sorrow truth and understanding.

Speaking again of Gary Clail, he crossed over into the main stream with his track 'Human Nature' many people would have classed him as a sell out, but he used the industry to project truth music and get it to the masses.

Yeah dub music is a connective tissue in the body of music.

Nice track, here's Devon Irons Vampire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-yOCiGoR8E&feature=related

4. 230755
    Unknown User : Mon 17th May 2010 : 11 years ago

God, Jah, Allah, why the differences in name? Jahknow, just paid real attention to "crossfire" lyrics, man you'd be surprised at how deep they cut, look at whats happening in my country, on my planet. Masses look the other way, "community is silent", exactly what the man says in crossfire. this is not just healing, this here sir is revolution. it is change, for those of us brave enough, for the better. if troops can march to a drum beat on their way to murder, I can make love listening to another. They say "in vino, veritas" and I agree, I've just finished a bottle, hence this outburst of inner emotion. I'm out for some peace, and I'll find it only to the extent of my front gate. WTF is the matter, I thought this was OUR planet. we may or may not end up changing this world for the better, who knows, but the power of a melody and a message is not lost on me. I'm off to bed!

dv........

5. 341564
    arkeyetexture : Mon 17th May 2010 : 11 years ago

dv8 i ment no disrespect to you, jk or the name of the most high. just caught in a moment of excitement and passion, while listening to jks crossfire post. your words are heavy n true. in my part of the world we tend to be sheltered and forget about the real suffering being imposed in other parts of the world. i thank you for the strong dose of reality. 1-love, Ark.

6. 306233
    Salook : Tue 18th May 2010 : 11 years ago

@Nomad, yeah i am familiar with those Barmy Army tracks, playing up to the hooligan culture.

The Jamaican music scene has strong links to the UK beginning when the English record co's started signing Jamaican SKA artists their music was accepted by England's 'Mod' culture this made the export of Jamaican music much easier.

England now has a large percentage of the total number of artists involved in this genre of music, with many of the leading producers being based there. Adrian Sherwood and The Mad Professor are two of these leading dub exponents.

Both producers wildly experimental with studio techniques, sometimes running whole tracks in reverse
    Sherwoods recording techniques especially, attracted artists from outside the realm of dub such as Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, Living Color, Garbage and The Cure, all of whom have used Sherwood's radical approach to mixing to manipulate their material.

http://www.potentbrew.com/skaregdu.html

7. 636839
    simmerdown : Tue 18th May 2010 : 11 years ago

now im just in step back and learn mode, another great text Salook

today has been an all Dub day for me, and it has been a very very good day, that is about as much as i can say to the spiritual effect

Here some recent dub, fell from the sky on me in the form of the JK Dub History Supermix-4gb+ of pure dub goodness i have yet to even make it all the way thru,lol

Disrupt, Jah Red, Gold, and Green

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeiwt85AIxw

8. 341564
    arkeyetexture : Tue 18th May 2010 : 11 years ago

this next post i bring is dedicated to one of the late greats. in my humble opion this man was single handedly responsible for bringing the hauntingly beautiful sound of the melodica to dubwize reggae music. and without i belive dub would a differnt sound today.

http://www.reggae-vibes.com/concert/augpablo/augpablo.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiaekG1Q0UE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz5dXuz26N0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQnnJpRd2I8

9. 230419
    blackryan : Tue 18th May 2010 : 11 years ago

Dub meets chillout - The G Stone label from Austria with Kruder and Dorfmeister and Tosca. All good stuff.

Check out Tosca - Suzuki

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU2Yp2Eqy_8&feature=related

10. 230755
    Unknown User : Tue 18th May 2010 : 11 years ago

@arkeyetexture
    easy now mate. I see no disrespect in any of your posts. You're a good man, got nothing to worry about. Infact, what kinda disrespect did you mean? Coz I went and looked through the entire thing and you's cool as a cucumber throughout. What exactly you talking about? No beef here in dub my man! :)

All the best,
    dv8

11. 341564

well freind i had used a specific name in referance to God. did not intend any offense tword any others spiritual sensibilitys. may be my mis interpreting the start of your last post. at any rate Much Love n Lotz o' Respect, Ark.

12. 230419

This got some serious playtime when I was at university and my flatmates and I were in altered states.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLTv8-6GQxg

13. 230755

arkey, its no matter at all brother. Jah, Allah, Buddah, Krishna, it's all the same long as you recognize HIS ultimate power. you're right in calling him Jah, I say Jah too I don't mind. This is going off topic though so I'll stop lol. We're all one big happy family united under a single culture, dub. THAT is all.

14. 341564

dv8 i am in total agreement.

moving on.........

this is Harrison Stafford(groundation fame) and Leroy "Hoursemouth" Wallace's (Burning Spear, The Abyssinians, the cult film classic "Rockers") side project.

concious vibrations ture I-rations........

http://www.rockamovya.com/

15. 230419

@btl - luvin Disrupt!

16. 341564

how about a listen to Selector Timothy n his radio show DUBATOMIC PARTICLES? this episode is from 02/07/2010 co-hosted by Harrison Stafford.

http://www.archive.org/details/DubatomicParticles-02072010WithHarrisonStaffordofGroundation

get comfy there's about three hours worth here.........

17. 60800
    jahknow : Tue 18th May 2010 : 11 years ago

@ Blackryan Disrupt is one of my currebt big spinners. It spends much time on my playlists when I play out. Really far out dubs.

This video is a nice lickle shot of the Mad Professor behind a massive mixing deck doing what he do.

I think it's high time we get on board with some real technical issues. The how of the dub is sometimes mysterious, but if can get some basic overstanding about how certain effects are used in a live dub set, then we be gettin closer!

As you notice, the mix comes out live, he's applying the effects Through send tracks and cueing the individual sounds by simply pushing the monitor through switch, giving the skanks a distant a repeating sound. (happens to be one of my favorite Ableton features).

You'll also notice a bassline that is HIGHLY modulated. Now I've been listening to dub for over 20 yrs and still haven't found another artist who can control the phasing of a bass signal like Mad Professor. The way the bass feqs swirl in and out of the mix is absolutely brilliant and SUPER hard to pull off as a bass signal run thru phasing can either peak a level out or totallt muddy a mix up. Mad Professor built alot of his own effects units, so we may never really know the ultimate trick to that...;)

Mad Professor's son Joe Ariwa is now producing some of the most illuminated cross genre dubs going. Dubstep dub on the Ariwa label is just amazing. It's where the old meets the new in order to show the new school WHO exactly wrote the text books.

Joe Ariwa and Queen Omega on Wicked Man dub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZt3K7CXtn4

18. 60800

Sorry here's that Mad Professor dub lesson link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIwZbn26eJc

19. 60800

Wanna share some the African Shaman's studio tips via the dub room. Just proves that LSP really is a voodoo magician.

"Bury the mastertape in your garden and leave it there for some time. (Credited to Lee 'Scratch' Perry) "

"Blow ganja smoke on the master tape while recording, to add this irie finishing touch. (Credited to Lee'Scratch' Perry)"

"Put a few bottles of your own urin in the studio to give more energy. (Credited to Lee'Scratch' Perry)"

"Leave a hen to sport around on your mixing desk. If it has a go in doodooin on track no. 10 (In that case it was the drum track), so take that out."

Take that exactly for what it's worth.

20. 230755

@beatl,

that link made my day man, disrupt is fkin sweet. Gonna take a whole lotta time to go through every link if one really pays attention....

lol Jahknow read those on the interruptor.ch as well, made a man laugh out loud but for real thats that mentality (anything is possible) that I'm always on about!

21. 636839
    simmerdown : Tue 18th May 2010 : 11 years ago

I spent two hours yester just jamming along to Disrupt, i think i picked up more dub bass tips than i had in the previous 6 months, they are just the dub sound i like, superb imo as well

Jah im holding my breath for you to expand on what you are saying, some of your technique, be it general or Live

Saw Lee Perry at a world music fest in CA a few years back, he just had a DJ spinning very stripped down beats to back him up, the dude is...no words will suffice. At one point he just stopped his vocal, put his fist high in the air and yelled. "I'm 70 years old! I'm 70 years old!(crowd goes wild)..I'm 70 years old, and my dck can stay hard all night..ALL NIGHT!!!(pumping fist up) , then friggn pandemonium, LOL

22. 306233
    Salook : Tue 18th May 2010 : 11 years ago

Some great tracks guys.
    I had the privilege of seeing Scratch at the Barrowlands in Glasgow, could have been a better performance if he wasn't so comatosed, great gig though and he was backed up by Johnny Clarke, great vocalist!

@Blackryan, Roots Manuva is a class act and created great dub versions from his album 'run come save me' another UK act heavily influenced by Dub is 'Pressure Drop' (Blood Brothers).
    There track 'Silently Bad Minded' expertly mixes dub with be-bop,
    A great track with consious lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRqeazdLJ7s

Seems only fair to post a track from Gary Clail + On-U Sound System while i am here-

'Rumours of war' more truth music about the war for Oil and how nothing has changed since the Cold war, a pretty rare track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tIMEYT6CEI

23. 230419

@salook I bought the Silently Bad Minded EP many years ago. Excellent!!!

24. 60800

Big ups to Roots Manuva! Love love love that guy! Witness the fitness! :D

Back to technique. I like sharing so here goes.

On my virtual DAW mixing board I often will set my track as such. Drums use inset effects on there chain to either pump, compress, of hollow out the drum sound. I sometimes will isolate hi hat sounds with their own phaser set to a slow rate on high frequencies to give movement to the hi hat groove. Snares will sometimes receive the distant reverb or a short repeating delay (synched). Interuptors echolive or Analogic delay vsts are Awesome for this. It allows you create many different syncopated grooves through your dub by modulating the delay times and groove setting on an overdub track. please re read.

Bas signals take time and alot of patience. But by using a send channel with an eq, bass phaser or flanger, I can isolte just the right frequencies for ultimate sub bass responcse. I Ableton it's the corpus filter that Reighs supreme! Use corpus on a send side chained to the channel running your virtual bass synth. Tune the octave down -12 (or even -24 if you're ballsey) and then start tweaking the material and decay settings to get just the right amount of bled through without blowing things up. It takes much time to get these dialed just so, but once you do you're eyes will be WIDE open. I prefer using the membrane material setting in corpus with no brightness or harmonics (-92% to -100% on both) Keep tweaking that send amount from the bass track until you get just so. Remember to keep it below that -6db headroom space cuz you still have guitars, keys, synths, fx sounds etc to add up in the mix.

Now those skanks and fills. Here's where the dub gets wicked. I often will have 3-4 separate send tracks set up with different effects chains. Tape delays, reverbs, phasers, resonators, beat repeaters etc to cater the sound for the dub environment. I'll then go through my channel list and select which sounds I want to monitor directly through the Main channel and which get sent thru sends for processing. By selecting 'sends only' on the mixer throughput you can isolate even further how those channels play out on each other. By riding the send knobs thru your overdub you can bring in sounds and overlap effects in ways that you might not have ever imagined before. You know that mildly warped delayed piano hit that evolves over 32 bars just by repeating over and over, but with frequency tweaks, time tweaks, that just warp your sense of time and space, yeah that.

I must say it is VERY much key to have a midi controller available to be able to modulate the mix in a LIVE fashion instead of a static automation drawn sequence. It allows the user to take the control out of the machine and put it directly into a more organic humanist environment. This is the key to the digital age. The computer will do just anything you program it to do, but by setting up the mix to feel LIVE you take that element of organized digital pop to free form, real, musically engaging music.

This was a lot to spit out, so I better lay off and let my mental circus settle a bit, but if you any questions or comments about the above lemme know.

Firm and Strong ~ Jah

25. 306233
    Salook : Wed 19th May 2010 : 11 years ago

@Jahknow, thanks for sharing those tips, i have much to learn considering the recording techniques required to turn out a proper dub style piece, i am in the right place though.
    I am currently in the market for a MIDI keyboard i agree you need to have that 'hands on' approach, there ain't much wrong with human error.
    I still find myself going back to my hardware just to get my hands on something, you can let loose and capture something that can't be re done making for something unique.
    Looking back on the posts it seems that the Dub pioneers are renowned for there eccentric recording techniques...so is Dub music an expression in the art of recording?

Posts 26 - 50 of 189

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums