Coming Up With Chord Progressions

Posts 1 - 13 of 13
  1. 1838355
    samaskew20011 : Thu 22nd Dec 2016 : 1 month ago When I make my music, I always start with the chords. However, recently I've been having more and more trouble coming up with decent House/ Dance chord progressions. I was wondering if anyone had some tips or tricks to help with coming up with chords?
  2. 1971422
    Justze3 : Thu 22nd Dec 2016 : 1 month ago I know youre after Dance chords Progression help but this tut may help you in a way even tho its more of a tarp style tut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJPvGM10pS8
  3. 2079796
    Synthesiz3r : Fri 23rd Dec 2016 : 1 month ago leave music making for a few days and it will come from itself. well it works for me :)
  4. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 23rd Dec 2016 : 1 month ago Learn keys, then play intervals within the key. Listen to the overtones of the intervals. Add another interval which sounds right to your ears, then you have a chord. Do the same thing again, feeling the harmony or dissonance between the chords. Correlate with your emotions, and there you go.

A chord progression is nothing to do with house/dance or any other genre. Chords are simply a collection of notes at intervals, and chord progressions are multiple instances of collections such as these played in sequence. Don't limit yourself before you begin, instead practice and tune your ears... learn what you like to hear and how to make it happen.
  5. 828980
    phatkatz4 : Fri 23rd Dec 2016 : 1 month ago https://autochords.com/ Here's a useful tool.
  6. 2079280
    BagnareIlMicino : Sat 24th Dec 2016 : 1 month ago When I'm trying to come up with a chord, I use A as a bass key and then place around B,C,D,G,F,E and once I place the keys, I select all of them and drag them up and down the piano roll to get new ideas. That's what works for me though, don't know if it will for you.
  7. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sat 24th Dec 2016 : 1 month ago BagnareIlMicino's advise would give you a minor key in A, which could be transposed to give you other minor keys. It is a start. Changing the intervals will give you other sorts of keys.
  8. 2079280
    BagnareIlMicino : Sat 24th Dec 2016 : 1 month ago This is how I learned what keys go where. I gained some knowledge from some MIDI files and then started creating my own chords, eventually. Maybe it'll help you out. I know that musician's block can be frustrating. It happens to the best of us!
  9. 1281572
    promenade2239 : Sat 7th Jan 2017 : 2 weeks ago @samaskew20011 There is probably no descent recipe out there for you but you can always try building 7th chords by yoursef. I do not mean Dominant chords but simply Major7th and Minor7th chords. Be more creative in searching for appropriate tutorials anyway! I found this:
    https://www.attackmagazine.com/technique/passing-notes/passing-notes-deep-house-chords/ Regarding house genre progressions there are no Dominant chords whatsoever so do not worry.

Another take on this:
    Since you're starting with few chords what would be the actual pattern of arranging them then? Progressing or descending manner, or? Are you going for a fixed House-genre sonority or interested in making something new/different regarding chord progressions using descent synths?

Understanding music theory by creating your own chord progressions is essential.

Good luck!
  10. 1118799
    Stevejaz : Sun 8th Jan 2017 : 2 weeks ago There's an old Mose Alison trick I really like. Requires a bit of basic theory though. At least being able to spell out the notes in a chord. Also not sure if you are using keyboard or guitar but the trick is this.....
    Play a chord ( best start with a dominant 7th)
    Look at the top not (highest pitch)
    Figure what note in the chord it is (root,3rd,5th,7th)
    Now work out what other chord has the same note as an alternative interval.
    repeat
    repeat again
    You now have 4 chords all in different keys, all dominants
    EG:
    Start with C7 with Bb as the top note
    voice the other chords with Bb as the top note, which will give different inversions of each chord:
    EG:
    Eb,(Bb the 5th)
    Gb,(Bb the 3rd)
    and obviously Bb7 where Bb is the root.
    But wait there's more.... LOL
    Apply the same idea but using a different inversion of the first chord.
    That gives you 4 possible chord sets off one 7th chord.
    times 12 keys
    that's a lot of chord progressions and all with the starting chord of just one dominant chord. I have never tried it but I see no reason why you could not apply the same logic to other chord types. Minor, Major 7th etc etc. Hell even minorMajor 7th
    Also you could apply the same logic to chords with more notes in them such as minor11 etc etc
    Hope that gives a few ideas.
    Cheers.
  11. 1737649
    GreyGary96 : Mon 9th Jan 2017 : 2 weeks ago purchase some good midi packs, and build your own chords off those. i do this a lot and its fantastic. helps you learn aswell.
  12. 1936235
    Unknown User : Mon 9th Jan 2017 : 2 weeks ago I don't really have a standard procedure, but I usually start with a "hook". That could be chords, bass line or a melody. Working it further out is the hardest part, but I quite automatically fill it in with more.. The rhythm section (and sometimes a solo), is the part I work on as last. And as mentioned earlier, leaving the tune rest for a few day makes it easier to come up with new ideas.
  13. 1378797
    GregVincey : Tue 10th Jan 2017 : 1 week ago I suggest listening to a lot of music in a day. Instead of making music, focus on practicing chords, and melodies on the piano or Rhodes everyday for a month. Also, there are tutorials on youtube showing you how to come up with chords, it's pretty neat.
Posts 1 - 13 of 13

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Chill Out Track