Starting A Hip-Hop Label

Posts 1 - 18 of 18
  1. 858092
    Artunsenyigit98 : Tue 6th Dec 2016 : 11 months ago Hello there everyone.My name is Artun, i've been interested in music for 7 years now and for the past 2 years with hip-hop specifically.Im working on Logic Pro X i can do all your producing,mixing and mastering looking for all the rappers who are willing to do this together and promote our music together in the best way we can.You can either p.m me or comment under this post to talk about all the details.
  2. 1971422
    Justze3 : Wed 7th Dec 2016 : 11 months ago any links to your work?
  3. 229129
    CONEYISLANDRECORDS : Wed 7th Dec 2016 : 11 months ago People still do this?
  4. 630386
    JosephFunk : Wed 7th Dec 2016 : 11 months ago Hey Coney! Well to answer your question which really does not need answering, oddly enough it still happens. You of all people must have seen or heard of hundreds of LABEL start ups from here and beyond. Another label was launched here a few days ago as well. Their intentions I believe is sincere but shortsighted and ill advised.

https://www.looperman.com/forum/thread/185727/starting-a-label

Lots of people sadly confuse collaborations or collabs, with what a real label is legally by definition.
  5. 229129
    CONEYISLANDRECORDS : Wed 7th Dec 2016 : 11 months ago Haha Joe, spot on.
  6. 1273564
    LankFrampard : Thu 8th Dec 2016 : 11 months ago hey man I have beats I can send, I don't rap tho!

(LF)
  7. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Thu 8th Dec 2016 : 11 months ago Nooo maaaannn! Don't do it! There are already 245 Hip-Hop labels in your neighborhood! There is no need for a new one.
  8. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Fri 9th Dec 2016 : 11 months ago Come on guys give him a break, here is the best advice I can give you man. http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-label-maker/
  9. 1201983
    RenzWilde : Fri 9th Dec 2016 : 11 months ago Dude, absolutely start a label if you want to. It takes a lot of work and commitment to break through the noise and get noticed but if you set realistic goals, you can do it. You just have to approach it seriously and like I said, set realistic goals.

If you work hard at it and are committed and put out some cool music, that's no guarantee you will be successful. In fact, odds are, even if you work your ass off, you won't get noticed. But if you don't try, you'll never know. If you have the passion to do it, then go for it.

And don't listen to people telling you not to do it. They don't really care what you do. They just want to be negative. Every single person who's ever succeeded at anything had people tell them they can't.

My best advice, like I said before, set realistic goals.
  10. 490439
    ZeeHipHop : Fri 9th Dec 2016 : 11 months ago It's that time of the year again.

Good luck with your label man.
  11. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Fri 9th Dec 2016 : 11 months ago @RenzWilde - How will making a label help him break through the noise and get noticed?

Any bedroom label will lack the ability to promote his work more than he could do himself so why not just write great music and promote yourself. We live in the day of itunes and what not and you don't need a label to monitor your sales when you can do it all without the need of a label that is until you reach a certain limit.

Basically what a lot of you guys are doing is saying "I've got a label" without having a single clue what to do next.

A labels job is to help you reach more fans out there meaning that label has connections out there and can reach way further than you could on your own. So making another bedroom label amongst the millions of other bedroom labels is just a waste of time from my point of view. You as a starting label and a very young man won't be able to dedicate a lot of time to that label and if you want to further discuss this topic let me ask you what can you do for me? Let's assume I am a Hip-Hop artist and I'm fairly good at what I do, I even have a small fanbase to make it easier for you, so how would you expand my success?

And don't tell me social media cause that's a nobrainer.

I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic, I've got about 15 years of experience with labels, publishers, imprints ranging from small indie labels to the big 3. What you guys are doing isn't a label.

Cheers!
  12. 691199
    Modnex : Fri 9th Dec 2016 : 11 months ago I agree with Mahloo on this. A record label is a business. People who simply create a name then create a bunch of social media accounts using that name, claiming to be a record label is not classified as a label in the eyes of the law. Which means you're not a real label at all.

Starting a real record label requires real work just like any other business start up. Clicking buttons on a computer screen is not going to cut it. There is only one reason why an Artist would be interested in joining a label and that reason is to blowup and become known from their work. A record label's job is to use their connections in the music business combined with the artist's talent to get that artist music seen and heard all across the world. If you do not have connections in the business to help your artist get their work on radio stations, get their own music videos, get collaborations with other already known artist to help boost their popularity and possibly book them concerts, then you are not a record label and should not classify yourself as one.

Social media websites like soundcloud, youtube, itunes and beatport are tools a label would utilize to help create more of a community for their artist already made fans and possibly gain more in the process but that is pretty much the only thing they would use those sites for.
  13. 229129
    CONEYISLANDRECORDS : Fri 9th Dec 2016 : 11 months ago LMAO @ Planetjazzbass
  14. 1041668
    wikkid : Fri 9th Dec 2016 : 11 months ago Hello Artunsenyigit98,

Since you posted this, I've been checking out the top artists in Turkey (native) and also which ones from America are popular over there.

I'm not gonna get into what you should or shouldn't do, sometimes you just gotta do it and find out for yourself, but hey, collaborating on a bilingual song never hurt.

You never know, it could hit big in the college crowd in your homeland and swing back this way to America.

Anyway, keep up the enthusiasm, cause you're gonna need it and then some. But you appear to be an ambitious young man (I mean that in a good way), from what I read of your original post, and I can see you wanting to broaden your wings by hooking up with an artist or artists from other countries, sort of like an international collective.

I hope you will come back and post how your progress is going on this. All the best to you.
  15. 1107661
    liftarn : Fri 16th Dec 2016 : 11 months ago Like several have said already you will first have to come up with an answer to the question why you want to start a label. What can a label do that you can't do on yourself? There are several sites for artists without labels. Are you willing to throw that away?

Then you need to ask if you want to have a label (you can start a net label with not much more than an internet connection) or a record company (with office space, receptionist, salaries, taxes et.c.)
  16. 696332
    KaCajun : Sat 17th Dec 2016 : 11 months ago I'm down for a collabo. I released a dozen acapellas for you to use. If ya want me to spit over an original beat Holla at me and send me a dope beat.
  17. 1441997
    drproximo : Sat 17th Dec 2016 : 11 months ago all these pedants basically saying "if you don't go through the expense and red tape of actually starting an actual legally recognized business then you're not a label in any meaningful way", just kill that noise. if he doesn't want this to be an official legally recognized thing so be it. a handful of artists collectively putting out releases and saying each release is on this "label" they've formed is its own thing, nobody has delusions that they're going to compete with Def Jam. let the indies come together, make their music, and cross-promote, it's not hurting any of you guys.
  18. 609523
    3rdNippleMusic : Sun 18th Dec 2016 : 11 months ago Good thing I don't promote 3rd Nipple Music as a label lol, I merely use it to house all my wonderful music.

I do Acoustic, Rock, Punk, Blues, Electronic/Industrial, Hip Hop, Comedy, Cinematic, Remixes, Backing Tracks, Loops & Sounds.. i think that's all so far...

now the shameless plug: I definitely post stuff that uses all y'all's loops on this site under my tracks... I also re-post almost all of it on my 'label' on SC and I also do some for YT.

My Looperman Tracks:
    https://www.looperman.com/users/tracks/609523

3rd Nipple Music on SC:
    http://www.soundcloud.com/3rdNippleMusic (There are some really good remixes of some well known artists under the 'Sweating God' account as well as some cool backing tracks under 'Another Man's Treasure')

For me playing guitar or psychedelic electo-industrial music videos, see my YT page: https://www.youtube.com/user/NealVisher/playlists

And, of course, here are the may types of loops I share here:
    https://www.looperman.com/users/loops/609523

yaaay for me eh... lol - Enjoy whatever you do mate.. label or no label

Neal Visher
Posts 1 - 18 of 18

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Hip Hop Track