What DAWs Are Ranked Above What Other DAWs In General

Posts 1 - 23 of 23
  1. 1819633
    SadGhoster87 : Sun 31st Jul 2016 : 7 months ago I know that FL Studio is considered "beneath" other DAWs by most users. I also have seen a few people stating that Serum is "better" than Massive, but I don't know anything about Ableton or Logic Pro, etc.

I don't have much experience with using different ones, so what's really the general consensus?
  2. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Sun 31st Jul 2016 : 7 months ago Pro Tools is the industry standard simply due to it being the first of its kind on the market - due to it's age it is more refined than most DAWs on the market simply because it has been used and critiqued longer. A lot of big film-scorers, professional studios and mainstream artists use this one.

Cubase is a variation that is just as good as Pro Tools for recording, but more inefficient with doing more film/movie work.

FL Studio is more streamlined and tailored towards the MIDI user (a lot more mainstream producers use it than you may think)

Ableton is designed with the live sound engineer in mind but is still a powerful DAW in the studio.

The consensus? You learn to master your own DAW and you'll be just as good or better than someone who isn't.

Cheers,

Brado
  3. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sun 31st Jul 2016 : 7 months ago Have to agree with Brado, these days a DAW's functionality rating is entirely a matter of personal preference and it's performance sound wise has more to do with the quality of the audio/midi interface one uses combined with the processing power of the computer that hosts it...long time Ableton user here so naturally my opinion is heavily biased in that direction.
  4. 1819633
    SadGhoster87 : Sun 31st Jul 2016 : 7 months ago I know a lot of people use FL Studio, from what I've seen I'm honestly surprised so many people dislike it. Still though, I've seen discredits and dismissals, seen FL Studio used as an insult, etc.

I understand that the best DAW is the DAW you're best at, but I was just sort of wondering the general peoples' consensus.
  5. 174317
    smallpaul : Sun 31st Jul 2016 : 7 months ago Yes with Planet on this one dedicated Ableton user, I had Sony acid pro and couldnt really get going on it, Then I got live 7 and was up and running in a day or so, using live 9 now and love it! Its as easy or as hard as you want to make it! You can drop samples and make tracks, or you can record everything from scratch and tweek it to death! At the end of the day its what you are comfortable/happy with.
  6. 918651
    Anno861 : Sun 31st Jul 2016 : 7 months ago A lot of the music studios I've seen (at least here in the UK) have been using mostly Logic Pro, so that probably says something about that particular DAW. Ones that didn't use Logic used Pro Tools, most likely for the reasons that Brado mentioned above.

On the flip side, when I go hunting for tutorials on youtube, about 80% of these feature FL Studio, 15% Ableton and Logic, and the remaining 5% are others like Studio One and Pro Tools. These are estimates, of course, and entirely based around my experience.

Personally, I've preferred Logic as my DAW. Mainly because I already had it on my system, but partly because I found it an easy transition from GarageBand (at the time this was GarageBand '09 to Logic Pro 9) and later on I was told by a friend that Logic seemed to have a pretty good selection of stock plugins. I have, however, always kinda liked the interface provided by FL, at least compared to my admittedly outdated copy of Logic, and I have also been told that Ableton can be particularly useful as a live performance tool.

I have to say I haven't heard people really hate on FL; I'd imagine that it may be because many people use it, although this is just speculation. I'd liken it to the Skrillex case, if we use a bass music example, where although people do just dislike the type of music he makes, I sometimes get the impression that people dislike him because of how successful he has become and thus how much he is associated with bass music as it is now. I dislike the music he makes nowadays, but I can respect the person and how he's managed to work music into a career so successfully; similarly, I dislike FL, for example, because I am used to Logic now, but I don't mind it as a DAW because it offers some features that Logic doesn't. It would be a similar story for other DAWs.

Now I feel like I've written a small essay and have no idea if the last paragraph even makes sense to anyone but me, but hopefully there's at least something of use here.
  7. 1378797
    GregVincey : Sun 31st Jul 2016 : 7 months ago I've seen so many battles of the daws/synths from back in the day, seeing it now It's starting to be funny. Some people still haven't look pass the fact that being able to make, and record sounds on any computer is the most epic thing ever.

Serum looks cool, I've seen people go hard on dubstep with it. I don't see how it's different from Massive besides the look, colors, and nobs in terms of sound design. I say It's similar to Fl Studio plugin Sytrus in terms of in depth shaping of modulation.
  8. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 31st Jul 2016 : 7 months ago First, virtual synths and DAW's are totally a separate discussion... so it's a bit weird in the context of the thread title to bring those up...

BradoSanz's comment about FL Studio being "tailored towards the MIDI user" is probably not something that most FL users would agree with. There is continual complaining on the Image Line forums regarding it's weakness in MIDI implementation. I'm assuming what Brado meant was that it is powerful for sequencing of virtual instruments, which it is. This is a very different thing than true MIDI, which includes support for a vast array of controllers, simple routing to external hardware, support for CC and sysex, etc... I personally do use FL for a lot of hardware work, MIDI and otherwise, but a lot of new users seem to have major trouble with this.

The main difference between DAW's is "work flow," as they are all intended for the same purpose, to create music with audio sample, audio recording, virtual plugins, and MIDI. There are demo's of pretty much all DAW's, so it's best to try them, and decide what feels comfortable.
  9. 1889242
    SupaFreakshow : Sun 31st Jul 2016 : 7 months ago For me, the best "bang for the buck" daw is Reaper. It doesn't come with any bloat, no fancy gui's for the built in plugs, but is stable with all the big name vst's that I've got.

It can be a little clumsy with midi editing sometimes, though. But for actual audio recordings I put it right up there with ProTools and the rest of them.

Sound quality from one daw to the next depends on your interface/soundcard/preamps/microphones/room, but that's all out of the box stuff. If you are all in the box, no outboard anything, all the recording and conversion has all been done already. This is how someone with zero recording experience or the ability to play any instrument can sound like the bees knees. That's another topic :)

To add to the Protools debate: ProTools being considered industry standard is also due to the fact that it was the first to be studio friendly (there were others that were miserable), but until a few years ago the interfaces and vst's (rtas) were completely proprietary to ProTools. So, studios that have built around ProTools over the years may find it unbeneficial to change over at this stage of the game.

I hear great things about Ableton, which has always been more geared to those who are running things in a live situation.

Reaper is 60 bucks.

Mike
  10. 1915997
    TheNoimio : Mon 17th Oct 2016 : 4 months ago I'm myself using FL Studio, and it's really great!
    I learned much about this DAW and now, I master it!And I'm very happy of the result. I don't know why FL Studio is not popular and I heard nothing about this.
  11. 828980
    phatkatz4 : Mon 17th Oct 2016 : 4 months ago The endless best DAW argument hahaha personal preference is what it comes down to. I'm with supafreakshow, Reaper is for me.
  12. 1821349
    Wobbin : Mon 17th Oct 2016 : 4 months ago @Phatkatz4, don't lie. You only like Reaper because it sounds badass and fits that dark and evil spirit of yours ;)
  13. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Mon 17th Oct 2016 : 4 months ago The DAW doesn't really matter. Whatever gets you where you want to go is the best tool be it ProTools, Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, FL Studio, Samplitude or whatever.

Depending on what you are actually doing each DAW has pro's and cons.

For me it has been ProTools, as I know it really well and it enables me to be really fast with editing and mixing. Not to mention the hardware integration options like delay compensation for any of the inserts as well as a simple and eficient routing system. Not so good with midi and pretty messy in terms of general stability especially due to third party plugins and resource handling.

FL Studio is widely used around the industry and a lot of big names actually use it for the sequencing capabilities. It's a fabulous sequencer to be honest. A pain to mix a song in FL studio though at least for me, the routing capabilities are lacking almost completely. I wouldn't wanna mix something in this :))

Cubase/Nuendo ...very powerful midi and audio editing capabilities. Widely used in studios around the world as well as in a lot of postproduction studios.

Reaper...stable really stable, it's becoming more and more popular due to the low price tag but also it's stability.

Reason...well if you like creating manual patches it can posibly be the best synth patch creater out there. It has cool sequencing features as well but lacks any real audio editing posibilities and the routing can become cumbersome really fast. Still a great sequencer.

Just stay with what works for you as that will get you the results you want if you spend the time to learn everythign about that DAW.

Just my 2 cents.
  14. 630386
    JosephFunk : Mon 17th Oct 2016 : 4 months ago DAW wars. Essentially it comes down to work flow and the way you see the musical world as you create. A seasoned and experienced producer can make amazing tunes on Magix Music Maker opposed to a newbie using ProTools for the very first time. No, I did not say that Magix is better than PT, I was referring to the experience of a producers. But whatever you are using and if it is working you, then stick with it. If you are new to DAWs, your daw will not make you sound great if you do not understand how to exploit its full potential. If FL Studio is easy for you and great, then stick with it. I use Propellerhead Reason 9 because it matches my workflow best.
  15. 186161
  16. 828980
    phatkatz4 : Mon 17th Oct 2016 : 4 months ago Wobbin TRUTH!! it's the name ;) LOL! Reaper is the first real daw I learned, price is right, stable with all my vsts and plug ins, sounds great compared to LMMS which seems to have a muffled sound. started with LMMS, a freeware one, and after getting through a bit of the learning curve I fell in love with Reaper. I have Cubase 5LE that came with my audio interfaces, Some other one that came with another audio interface I got free, and a demo of FL but really not interested in them. It comes down to what works for you.
  17. 630386
    JosephFunk : Mon 17th Oct 2016 : 4 months ago Burt you sound like you want to make love to Reaper man! lol! Glad you found something that makes those cigar boxed guitars of yours sound awesome. Cheers!
  18. 828980
    phatkatz4 : Mon 17th Oct 2016 : 4 months ago I've tried Joe, wasn't pretty ;)
  19. 517658
    dv8 : Wed 26th Oct 2016 : 4 months ago I've seen folks make faces when I tell them I use FL Studio. To be honest, I started off with FL Studio because that was basically the first DAW I installed. After using it for a few years, I tried moving to Ableton or Reason, but by that time I was too used to the FL Studio UI and plugins, etc.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's just what I'm used to, and had I downloaded another DAW instead of FL Studio, I'd be using that one to this day instead.

I defer to others who know more about Ableton or other DAW's in terms of output quality etc, but I'm happy with FL Studio and to this day its never held me back or disappointed me no matter how "creative" I am with the sound I'm trying to achieve. It works for me, so I'll FL Studio ranks above other DAW's for me.

Hows it going, Spivkurl? Long time buddy.
  20. 186161
    Spivkurl : Wed 26th Oct 2016 : 4 months ago Hey there dv8! I saw that you replied to the thread and had to check it out!

I dig FL as well, even though I've used quite a few others. There are some annoyances, even at version 12.3.1, however I've learned to work around most of it.

It's funny, your comment about output quality in terms of Ableton. I got to despise the sound of Ableton really fast, like after a few songs done with it.
  21. 1108368
    BeatMaker4real : Sun 30th Oct 2016 : 4 months ago All DAW's do the same thing for the most part..Fruity,Pro Tools, Cubase, and whatever.The only real difference is the work flow, and how each program may differ in the routing of doing things. I have used Fruity Loops,Pro Tools, Cubase,Studio One, and Nuendo. I settle down with Studio One because of it's work flow, and reliability.So it just all comes down to your own personal preference.And I have yet to hear a DAW dictate the output quality of the audio.
  22. 370613
    EternalDefinition : Fri 23rd Dec 2016 : 2 months ago I would agree with most people on this thread. It is all about personal preference. I will say though after using all the softwares some tend to work best for particular genres and for particular use cases. Ableton is great for creating electronic/edm instrumentals with its many hardware integrations (APC etc). FL in my experience is the daw of choice for most hip hop beat makers. My personal favorite however is Reason. I started on FL and experimented with ableton and cubase/nuendo and imo the sounds you can create in reason are unmatched. If you are willing to spring for the real instrument refills there isn't a vst around that can produce a piano sound that sounds as real as reason, and has the functionality to manipulate every part of the sound (the floor mic, key impact, pedal influence). When it comes to recording the industry standard has always been (and will probably always be) pro-tools.
  23. 2079796
    Synthesiz3r : Fri 23rd Dec 2016 : 2 months ago as JosephFunk said DAW wars. Again... No one respects FL because it was a kids toy in the beginning a "kick-clap" sequencer but it grew up and as good as cuebase or ableton in the other hand there are more experineced, older DAWs out there which are matbe better but still DAW is just a tool to realease your feelings thru music nothing else...
Posts 1 - 23 of 23

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Ambient Track